http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31QpUFwPGmL._SL500_AA280_.gif

Which produces better results?

Fresh Cut
12-24-2009, 03:36 AM
Or is this what I need?

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/11YCF7WW9TL._SL160_AA160_.jpg

picframer
12-24-2009, 06:42 AM
Personally I run Gators on all equipment and if we have a client we spray but they mow, we tell them where to buy them, not one complaint from me or any of the clients, we all run the high lift for best results.

Steve
12-24-2009, 08:06 AM
I guess the Gator Blades are just more of an aggressive blade and shred clippings more so than the mulch blades?

TnT Outdoor ervices
12-24-2009, 09:35 AM
The only problem with gator blades is, if you have tall wet grass it seems to get a lot of clumps. If you use mulching blades they seem to spread the wet gras out. Gators are great for leaves. I only use gators when leaves start to fall and only then. The gator prices have nearly tripled in price this year.

picframer
12-24-2009, 01:10 PM
I guess the Gator Blades are just more of an aggressive blade and shred clippings more so than the mulch blades?

Yes it leaves a very fine cut and very small clippings, some guys have issues in wet grass but we do not mow wet grass as you are simply doing the client a disservice and damaging the lawn, if the grass is really tall some folks have issues, it may be the gear I am not sure but we haven't had any issues, there have been extreme cases where we had to go over the tall grass twice but not that often.

TnT Outdoor ervices
12-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Its kinda hard not to mow wet grass in the spring. With the rain and dew and alittle bit of fertilizer the grass will go 6-8" per week in the spring.

Fresh Cut
12-24-2009, 02:39 PM
Personally I run Gators on all equipment and if we have a client we spray but they mow, we tell them where to buy them, not one complaint from me or any of the clients, we all run the high lift for best results.

What is high lift? Is the Gator blade that I posted 'high lift'?

Also, I wanted to ask you all if there is a difference in some Gator blades. I bought one set at the beginning of last season and another towards the end of the season and they look slightly different. I'll try to find a pic of the second set I bought.

Fresh Cut
12-24-2009, 02:48 PM
OK, here is a pic I found of a few different kind of blades lined up.

http://www.elm********.com/images/blade%20choices.jpg

I bought my mower used and it came with blades that look similar to #3, #4, & #5. What do you call this kind of blade?

#7 are the blades that I bought at the start of last season. #6 are the blades that I bought near the end of the growing season. Does anyone know the respective name of these two blades? Also, has anyone used both, and, if so, have you noticed a different performance and/or result?

I'm eager to hear responses.

Steve
12-26-2009, 09:07 AM
It also must take quite a bit of time to sharpen those gator blades as well!

Fresh Cut
12-26-2009, 10:48 AM
It also must take quite a bit of time to sharpen those gator blades as well!

No, Steve. You don't sharpen the teeth in the back, only the front blade edge.

Steve
12-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Oh :) That would be a lot easier.

Nandoboom
01-04-2010, 01:01 AM
Hola everyone!
What I've learn, and the guys from the Mower Shop told me was, the "Gator" blades are for mulching, i call them mulching blades. I have set up a mulching-kit on my mower, the ones that are closed and dont shoot out the clippings. so the blades' job (or teeths) is to get rid of the clumps.
the disadvantages of having a mulching-kit is that you cant go as fast a you want, much less in tall grass, but the finishing look on the turf is great!
they are some advantages ofcourse, but thats another subject.
These are the ones I use (Gator's), I dont know about the other kind.

just my 2cents! hope this helps.

Steve
01-04-2010, 11:18 AM
With your mulching kit, do you also use baffles under the deck and around the cutting area of the blade?

Nandoboom
01-04-2010, 10:30 PM
With your mulching kit, do you also use baffles under the deck and around the cutting area of the blade?

No sir, My Scag doesnt have, or can install the baffles. unless custom made by a welder.

I belive to use baffles are for better mulching? I will look into that for more information.

XtreemGreen
01-05-2010, 11:57 AM
OK, here is a pic I found of a few different kind of blades lined up.

http://www.elm********.com/images/blade%20choices.jpg

I bought my mower used and it came with blades that look similar to #3, #4, & #5. What do you call this kind of blade?

#7 are the blades that I bought at the start of last season. #6 are the blades that I bought near the end of the growing season. Does anyone know the respective name of these two blades? Also, has anyone used both, and, if so, have you noticed a different performance and/or result?

I'm eager to hear responses.

OK..Ive been gone for awhile and niow Im back... With years of experience behind me..I will tell you the blade difference..

#3,4 and 5 are called High Lifts..They come on most new mowers..They provide the most vacume out of all the blades..

The Gators are just a different kind of mulching blade..Most guys put these on during the fall to help mulch up all the leaves..I dont like them because they tend to leave alot of clumps..

The last blade is a medium lift blade..

The wavey blades in the first post are used when you have a recycle kit on your mower.. I use these the most..They cut great and are quieter then most blades..

Hope this helped.

Chad

Steve
01-05-2010, 02:21 PM
The wavey blades in the first post are used when you have a recycle kit on your mower.. I use these the most..They cut great and are quieter then most blades..

So you use these blades mostly throughout the year and then what do you use in the fall to collect the leaves?

XtreemGreen
01-05-2010, 04:51 PM
We dont have the big mess of leaves down here, unless the property has alot of trees around..Which in my area most homes are loaded with palm trees, or trees that dont drop too may leaves..

Steve
01-05-2010, 07:06 PM
that dont drop too may leaves..
In such situations, how important is it to utilize a recycling kit on your mower?

XtreemGreen
01-05-2010, 07:14 PM
I dont run a full recycle kit on my mower... I just use the OCDC I built..I mainly only recycle in small yards that have alot of flower beds.. Other then that, I leave it open..The blades cut the grass up pretty fine with the OCDC up/open..

Steve
01-06-2010, 12:11 PM
I just use the OCDC I built.

What is that? Can we see it?

boog
03-23-2012, 12:55 AM
this is a ocdc http://thedirectorocdc.com/Benefits/ i was going to have one made for my Deere 757 instead i use a old license plate and a bungee cord i know sounds ghetto but it works