PDA

View Full Version : Prices for hardscapes

TnT Outdoor ervices
12-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Whats the going rate for hardscapes per sqft? to include or not include supplies. Is there any good books on this as well? Thanks

Steve
12-24-2009, 06:51 AM
If anyone else can jump in here and offer suggestions I would appreciate it.

I would figure though if you were just getting started into offering hardscapes, to shoot for an hourly fee. Know how much you have to make per hour and then do your best to estimate the amount of hours the job would take.

Charging per sq ft seems to always be a more advanced way of estimating that shouldn't be attempted until you really have an idea of how long the jobs take. Once you know how much work you can do in an hour, from experience, it's easy to then go and divide the cost of the jobs up by the sq ft.

But initially it seems to make things more complicated than they should be.

TnT Outdoor ervices
12-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Steve. I'm just getting started in the advanced hardscapes. I have a good group of guys that know what there doing for the most part. I have been doing landscaping for many years and just wanted to add this to my list of things.

Steve
12-26-2009, 08:11 AM
What kinds of hardscape projects are you looking forwards to working on? Or would you like to work on this year?

TnT Outdoor ervices
12-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Mostly patios and walkways

Steve
12-27-2009, 08:35 AM
I look forwards to seeing what you create as you go :)

TnT Outdoor ervices
12-27-2009, 06:28 PM
I'll post some pics when I do!

Jimbo MD
12-30-2009, 06:04 PM
Hey Buddy, An average price in MD is $17.00 -$22.00 PSF. Some of the thicker pavers you will have to adjust your price to. Also getting certified through ICPI will help alot. It's a 2 day class with a test at the end. It's not a gimmie test, you do have to study for it. If you google ICPI it will show you alot of information. It's great because they will list your company's name on there world wide website and the customer can actually go to the site and see how a patio is suppose to be done.
Jimbo

Steve
12-31-2009, 10:37 AM
An average price in MD is $17.00 -$22.00 PSF

How long do you feel it took you to go from charging per hour to charging per square foot?

Which do you recommend a newer lawn care business owner attempt to do?

Jimbo MD
12-31-2009, 07:12 PM
The economy has changed the way contractors price jobs. People are shopping the work. There are great ICPI certified hardscape companies out there with the equipment that are just not working, so if you want to compete with them you will probally have to do hardscape work at a PSF price.
Jimbo

Steve
01-01-2010, 04:38 PM
so if you want to compete with them you will probally have to do hardscape work at a PSF price.

How does pricing by sqft help you compete better? Do customers look for a price per sq.ft. to compare?

Jimbo MD
01-01-2010, 05:58 PM
That's right, now adays customers have the upper edge. They will get 6-8 estimates and play yours against there's. The economy has changed the way contractors price things now.

Steve
01-02-2010, 09:04 AM
That's right, now adays customers have the upper edge. They will get 6-8 estimates and play yours against there's. The economy has changed the way contractors price things now.

When you find yourself up against 6-8 other competitors to do a job, what is the best way to stand out and differentiate yourself from the pack. Especially when your bid falls somewhere in the middle of the rest!

Jimbo MD
01-03-2010, 05:06 PM
You nailed that question.I think alot of us fall into that situation. I think offering more than the other guy will keep you in the top 3, at that point it's anybody's guess.

Steve
01-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Do you find there are certain competitors in your area you almost always end up competing against on certain contract bids?

Do you ever try to study them and see what they have that makes them stand out more and then try to do that yourself as well? Or compare what you feel gives you the edge?

Jimbo MD
01-04-2010, 07:16 PM
I don't know, on large jobs customers become weird, they will jump ship to save $500.00. Since the economy has changed the game, my formula is great work, at an affordable price and make sure the customers on the street know your logo.

Steve
01-05-2010, 12:39 PM
I don't know, on large jobs customers become weird, they will jump ship to save $500.00.

Ahhhh this I think brings out an important point. Is there a sweet spot when it comes to price range where customers won't be so crazy on jumping ship to save that money?

And then after that price range, you find the customers to be more aware of the cost and be focused on that versus the quality of the job?