PDA

View Full Version : Which grass is best?

TurfFX
12-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Hey guys! I'm gonna need a little help choosing a type of grass that works well in the south. I am almost on the NC/SC state line just to give you some kinda grasp on the weather. I have read up on some grass types but I would rather get some advice from an LCO who has gotten some real results from some different types.

But anyhow I have a friend who wants me to be his lawn guy this coming season. He lives in a new construction house in a sub-division and he has absolutly no grass at all. He said he has tried to grow it but I dont think he was using the right stuff because his neighbors have nice grass and I dont believe it was sodded. Any insight on what seeds I need to use (something easily grown and can maintain in the south)? How to prep the soil for good growth? Are any chemicals (I have no chemical license so nothing hardcore.) going to be beneficial? His lawn space is around 1600 SF which is one of the smaller lots, what would you charge for this?

In the neighborhood he lives in I believe if I can get his lawn up and looking good, it would be great for business making people see what I can do. And I'm also positive that I can upsell in the area also with my hardscapes because of the flower beds and gardens in the area.

SuperiorPower
12-20-2009, 05:28 PM
As far as which product to use with the grass, I would suggest Nature's Lawn products. Swstout could probably be more specific than what I could.

Good luck,
Eli

swstout
12-20-2009, 06:13 PM
This site might help you choose. http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=LawnGarden/GrassChart.html

After you pick a turf, let me know and I will help with the liquid organic care for that turf.

Steve

CHEESE2009
12-21-2009, 04:38 PM
Toro has made several books & there are a few which explain where certain grass grows the best (very detailed).

You can probably find the book at any book shop for $20.00

The books can help you with just about everything!