PDA

View Full Version : It's a Wrap

picframer
12-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Well I guess this season is over for us, I worked in my woodworking shop most of the week but decided we would do one last drain today, what a mistake, it was simply too cold with a wind chill of -21, I was warm inside the excavator as it has a wicked heater however was sliding sideways on the frozen lawn and my loader operator was freezing so we called it quits at the request of the home owner after two hours, nothing was going right......so I brought the equipment home, everything is now packed away for the winter.

Tomorrow I will put the snow plow on my 2520 tractor, takes about 5 min to change from bucket to plow the first time as I have to feed the Hydraulics then we are settled into the workshop by the fire until sometime in April.

swstout
12-17-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm done for the season also. For lawn work anyway. I won't turn down work if it comes but I have finished up all my orders today.

I did three repo lawns today for ReMax. I was going to do one each day, today, Friday, and Saturday but the weather for Friday and Saturday is cold and rain. Not as cold as you have, 28 - 45F, but the rain would be bad for mowing. All three look presentable again and will so until probably the end of March.

I have a number of jobs (inside work) at the repo homes starting in January. Painting, rug shampooing, cleaning, etc. I have a Troy Built 3250-Watt Portable Generator and each of my trucks have 1,000-watt inverters. I also have a Mr. Heat propane heater if I need it.

A new site I an building will be finished soon for a new division specializing in liquid lawn care products and services. I will give me three months to promote and advertise it.

I still plan on getting the John Deere tractor you recommended with a tiller, loader, and box blade in the spring to expand my existing business.

Keep warm!

Steve

picframer
12-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Thanks Steve, the X749 is one friggin amazing tractor!!! My baby is packed away for the winter in the enclosed carport I built, the only machines outside are the 27D and 35D excavators, I need something with a 9 foot door opening but they have cabs and I sprayed them down with a product Deere sells, covered the Hydraulic Cylinders and locked the doors.

Still upset over today, all my machines are pretty much mint condition, Justin was helping me today and has about three months working directly beside me running my 2520, I put a rock in the bucket with the excavator, probably 2,500 pounds, he knows the drill and has done about 30 drains with me, drive with the bucket low to the ground, so anyhow I put the rock in and swing the excavator back around to work on another when I hear this crash, I quickly turn around, he had raised the bucket about 5 feet and curled it back, aside from being dangerous the rock came back onto the hood, I was fit to be tied, massive dent in a mint machine, probably a thousand dollars damage, I will calm down but I was Justin, what the hell were you thinking???? Aside from the damage I have told you very clearly and you have always followed instructions, bucket 10" off the ground max, this could have even come back on you or worse yet upset the tractor.......not a great way to end the season for me.

As for the down months I was going to do some custom cabinetry for people in the South End which is the rich area of Halifax but I hate taking my woodworking tools to a job site and after giving it some thought I think I will just work in the shop building crafts for the summer months and do some corporate tax returns.

justin_time
12-17-2009, 10:02 PM
I will calm down but I was Justin, what the hell were you thinking???? .

I don't know, sorry about that :p

Haha.. just kidding, wasn't me

CHEESE2009
12-17-2009, 11:39 PM
I don't know, sorry about that :p

Haha.. just kidding, wasn't me

Damnit Justin!!! LMAO!!!

I wanna go to Ontario man!
We have a train that connects Ontario to Montreal. Hmmm.

Last time I went to Ontario, driving was intense. SOOO many lanes!

Steve
12-18-2009, 01:12 AM
Is anyone doing any holiday decoration jobs?

picframer
12-18-2009, 04:36 AM
Is anyone doing any holiday decoration jobs?

This is good business however it's too friggin cold to be climbing a ladder, we are -22 this morning. if one had access to a bucket truck it would be fun, other than that it's a service I personally will pass on but I see ad's in the paper from people wanting their Christmas lights put up.

picframer
12-18-2009, 04:37 AM
Damnit Justin!!! LMAO!!!

I wanna go to Ontario man!
We have a train that connects Ontario to Montreal. Hmmm.

Last time I went to Ontario, driving was intense. SOOO many lanes!

And you can do some underground shopping before you leave if you use the VIA downtown:)

Steve
12-18-2009, 06:35 AM
Still upset over today, all my machines are pretty much mint condition, Justin was helping me today and has about three months working directly beside me running my 2520, I put a rock in the bucket with the excavator, probably 2,500 pounds, he knows the drill and has done about 30 drains with me, drive with the bucket low to the ground, so anyhow I put the rock in and swing the excavator back around to work on another when I hear this crash, I quickly turn around, he had raised the bucket about 5 feet and curled it back, aside from being dangerous the rock came back onto the hood, I was fit to be tied, massive dent in a mint machine, probably a thousand dollars damage, I will calm down but I was Justin, what the hell were you thinking???? Aside from the damage I have told you very clearly and you have always followed instructions, bucket 10" off the ground max, this could have even come back on you or worse yet upset the tractor.......not a great way to end the season for me.

I am sorry about that happening, but thankfully no one was hurt! It is amazing how bad a situation can get and so quickly when you are dealing with these heavy objects and machinery.

Casch112
12-19-2009, 09:49 AM
I'm done for the season also. I have finished up all my lawn care and Fall cleanup orders for 2009.

I have a number of jobs (inside work) fo long time contractors starting December: Cleaning, Painting, repairing lights, etc.

Additional starts the Winter Maintenance (Snow Plowing) with new Contracts. :)
Snow is falling since Friday !
2 rounds to control each day, when Snow is falling every 4 to 6 ours contol, plowing and salting if needed (between 7a.m. and 8p.m.).

picframer
12-19-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm done for the season also. I have finished up all my lawn care and Fall cleanup orders for 2009.

I have a number of jobs (inside work) fo long time contractors starting December: Cleaning, Painting, repairing lights, etc.

Additional starts the Winter Maintenance (Snow Plowing) with new Contracts. :)
Snow is falling since Friday !
2 rounds to control each day, when Snow is falling every 4 to 6 ours contol, plowing and salting if needed (between 7a.m. and 8p.m.).

Planning ahead for the down months is critical in this business as cash flow is important and it looks like you and Steve have planned ahead offering a veriety of services to keep on trucking until the grass is growing again.

Good Luck with the plowing, it can be a lot of fun, especially the big storms as man do they ever pay off!

Steve
12-20-2009, 02:59 AM
Planning ahead for the down months is critical in this business as cash flow is important and it looks like you and Steve have planned ahead offering a veriety of services to keep on trucking until the grass is growing again.

Do you think it is a big mistake for a business owner to look at lawn care as a seasonal business where they figure they simply won't be working in the winter months? Is it important to keep busy during the winter for more reasons than simply bringing in more money? Is it important to keep those contacts and customer interactions going all winter so when spring comes, you don't feel like you have to start from scratch again and get everything started up.

picframer
12-20-2009, 03:26 AM
Do you think it is a big mistake for a business owner to look at lawn care as a seasonal business where they figure they simply won't be working in the winter months? Is it important to keep busy during the winter for more reasons than simply bringing in more money? Is it important to keep those contacts and customer interactions going all winter so when spring comes, you don't feel like you have to start from scratch again and get everything started up.

Personally and based on my experience:

- You should have 1.5 times the cash required in your bank account to carry you through the winter.

- Contact during down months is critical, I plan to get back to the newsletter in January, send it to all people we worked for this summer

- Lawn Care can be seasonal, Customer Care is not, what I mean by that is clients always have projects, I have one new lawn care client that wants a wrap around Mantle built for their fireplace, another wants a custom bookcase, all stuff that I can build from my shop and very good $$$ doing it, no travel expense other than the install.

- Keeping busy is an interesting question, I have to and I always find something to do and it could vary what I decide to do, focus is always making a buck by trying something.