PDA

View Full Version : On the side!

CHEESE2009
12-16-2009, 09:10 PM
What do you do on the side of running your business?

Is it another business? A creative hobby?

Do you paint or do wood work?

What do you do, that brings in that extra income?

How do you do it? How can we all do it?

I am interested in starting something new, for the slow months that can give me some extra money.

Do you make remix's of p'd off actors?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YTihsJQHt48&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YTihsJQHt48&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Steve
12-17-2009, 12:48 AM
Do you make remix's of p'd off actors?

Nah, I used to do that before I found something more fun.

I follow skate kids and film them mixing it up with the skate police LOL

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hVOt01L2z9E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hVOt01L2z9E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

picframer
12-17-2009, 05:13 AM
I do woodworking www.picframer.ca I have been operating this business on the side for over 16 years, it does very, very well. We (son and I) build enough product in the winter to get us through the summer which didn't work this year so he worked in the shop four days a week and then 2 days for me landscaping which got us by however we needed twice the product so I am training a guy about my age at the moment turning pens and within two days his pens are perfect, I have 27 ready for a show we are doing Saturday, I have been working 14+ hours a day in the shop since Sunday and made a massive amount of items for Saturday also.

CHEESE2009
01-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Wow! I love your site! I checked every page & found so many things that I like!

You have the most awesome spice rack that would go great against the wall of the kitchen table I have.

I wonder if you could create a brochure with all the pricing details (shipping included) for me, I'd be happy to show all of my customers!

LOOK AT THOSE CORNER CABINETS!!! DANG!!!

Window planters too!

I love it!

picframer
01-17-2010, 07:03 PM
Thanks bud, the site is old and tired, I haven't touched it in years as it generates more business than we can handle however I ah going to completly rebuild it this month. As for brochures etc. honestly we sell everything we can make without them so I have never bothered.

Steve
01-17-2010, 07:18 PM
As for brochures etc. honestly we sell everything we can make without them so I have never bothered.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could franchise the picture frame business where you got different wood workers around the country building these items that you were able to market and some how you could keep them posted on what they needed to make and ship as the orders came in.

Maybe they could all be taught how to make the best selling products.

picframer
01-17-2010, 09:36 PM
Wouldn't it be cool if you could franchise the picture frame business where you got different wood workers around the country building these items that you were able to market and some how you could keep them posted on what they needed to make and ship as the orders came in.

Maybe they could all be taught how to make the best selling products.

This may sound selfish or crazy but the woodworking is my retirement baby, I know what sells and sells well, what makes the most profit, what woods fly off the table, you would not believe the money my son makes and he is in University so he is not home most of the year. It has taken me 18 years to make contacts in various parts of the world to find some of these woods, even local highly figured wood, so in short it's not something I want to franchise. Also the investment in tools just to be able to work with many of the woods we do is a six figure investment and months of training, I made it difficult like that for a reason, I don't have to worry about copy cats, my website has about 20% of our top sellers and even at that I pound the hours in this time of the year hoping to have enough product until late fall when I can get back to the shop.

I did have employees in the past but once the figure the process out they go off on their own, start small and build and most are doing well. I do have one fellow at the moment turning pens and his work is amazing but I watch and listen, he will venture off on his own as soon as he has the money, no question in my mind.

You see we spray lawns in the rain so I don't really get down days and I generally work seven days a week as the goal is to have the landscaping company debt free this year, then franchise it or start working on the plan to do it in 2011.

Steve
01-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Well it's great you have so many interests and talents! You will never be bored! Thats for sure :)