PDA

View Full Version : Hello from North Carolina!

TurfFX
12-15-2009, 10:02 PM
Hey guys. I'm 24 and starting a Lawn and Tree service as we speak. I'm really really new to the biz, but I have a Diehard work ethic and never give up attitude, I know if I go hard enough and use the advice given to me by professionals I can build a successful rock solid business. As of right now I do not have any commercial equipment but as I make money I will replace my stuff. I have a 38 inch Bolens rider, 2 22' lowes pushers, 2 homelite trimmers, a Homelite 16 inch saw, a Poulan Pro 18 inch saw, all the climbing and safety harness rigs for tree work. I'm currently looking for some blowers, an edger, and a backup rider on the cheap. I know its a humble beginning, but you gotta start somewhere. I'm using a 5x12 trailer I made myself and my old '88 Mazda B2000 beater. But I plan to go as big as I can and I know it takes time. I just want my family to live comfortably and have a business that my son or daughter will want to carry on when its time for me to stop. I will be asking alot of questions...some may seem stupid but you gotta bear with me here. I look forward to talking with some of you pros.

Steve
12-16-2009, 04:25 AM
Welcome to our forum!

What got you interested in starting your own business?

What kinds of things have you been doing so far to promote it?

TurfFX
12-16-2009, 02:09 PM
Well I got tired of punching that clock and was fed up with answering to a "boss man". I also wanted a better life for my family and saw I couldnt do that working at a mechanic shop. I researched different businesses and asked myself if I could take a chance on being great. And here I am.

I just recently decided to do this. I had to get some stuff together so that I could actually do what I'm going to advertise. But I will be running an ad in the local newspapernest week and on craigslist right now. I'm going to print up some flyers and pound the pavement soon, and get some magnetic signs for my truck. I'm going to print up some business cards and drop them at convenience stores and hand them out to my friends, to see if I get a bite. My town has a lighted billboard in the middle of town that I'm thinking about renting to advertise with...but it will probably be later. I'm going to have a referral program also, offering cash or a percentage off of any service. I am also going to offer solar outdoor lighting, elevated flower beds, and gutter pumps. I try to keep all ideas written down so I can reflect and find a combo that works. Any fullproof ways to get customers or to get my name out there would be greatly appreciated. Thanx.

Steve
12-16-2009, 04:18 PM
You sound like you are really on top of things.

I also wanted a better life for my family and saw I couldnt do that working at a mechanic shop.

Did you ever consider offering any mechanic services as a business too or did you feel you got burned out in that field?

Were you considering any other businesses?

TurfFX
12-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Well I used to love to work on vehicles. But my old job kinda ruined it for me, made it not fun anymore...I wasnt enjoying it. I used to do mechanic work on the side but I would much rather build my own cars. I have an associates degree in Automotive Technology and 5 ASE certifications that are pretty much wasted because I'm just not happy doing it for the man anymore. Maybe one day if this biz pays off I can build my own shop and run it myself. The only reason I didnt go that route is because it takes quite an investment to start something like that, with more chance of failing.

I have a Home Improvement business right now but it is small time and its really really hard to get good jobs without butt-loads of insurance, workmans comp., etc., etc. It still makes me a little bit but not enough. I dont think I want to just roof and paint for the rest of my life. But I will meddle in it for a long time I think...when the jobs turn up. I have a crew that I completely trust and they will work without me there. But I will be there when I can. Some stuff from that biz will carry over to my lawncare biz. Like the solar lighting, gutter pumps, and I was thinking about security motion lights and cameras also because I do that in my H.I. biz.

Steve
12-17-2009, 02:00 AM
Did you ever think about offering outdoor power equipment repair work? I would think fixing mowers would be a lot easier than fixing cars. Maybe this could be an additional source of income?

Totables
12-17-2009, 08:16 AM
Hello fellow NC'er!! Good Luck to you!!

TurfFX
12-17-2009, 11:26 AM
Did you ever think about offering outdoor power equipment repair work? I would think fixing mowers would be a lot easier than fixing cars. Maybe this could be an additional source of income?

Actually I was thinking about that. The local community college actually offers a course on small engine repair. Its a short course but I would like to take it to learn about the different manufacturers, and to learn any tricks they have.

TurfFX
12-17-2009, 11:28 AM
Hello fellow NC'er!! Good Luck to you!!

Howdy! Thats a pretty nice line up you got there. How long have you been in the biz? And thanx!

winkie61
12-17-2009, 11:34 PM
I commend you on starting your own business. I like :)hearing that you have a good work ethic , because that's what it's going to take to get it off the ground. I started my lawn care service on the weekends while I was managing at a pest control company. I started in 2007 and I went full time this year in Apr 2009. I had seventeen clients and now I have forty-three. I'm located in Fayetteville, NC. I can be reached at jaydog610@embarqmail.com If I can help please contact me.

arthur712
12-29-2009, 01:49 AM
Welcome to the Forum!
Happy New Year!