PDA

View Full Version : Does knowing alot of people help?

kc2006
06-08-2006, 06:11 PM
I was thinking today. Do you need to know alot of people to get a jump start in this industry?

I know of a few new businesses that just started this year, all of them instantly got up off the ground and booming with business. One for instance is this guy that's a retired police officer, he and his son started up a business this year, I've known them for awhile. They already have a full schedule of work and are booked for over a month with landscaping installs.

The one guy that my brother went to school with, he started up this year because his brother is having such great success with his lawn care company. In the past 2 months he's already booked a maintence crew with an enclosed trailer, z's, a brand new truck, has 2 other brand new trucks running around doing landscaping and he is by himself with his 06 ford also. That is just insane growth for 2 months.

And as far as I know, the first guy hasn't done any advertising, the second used to run a plowing business so his name was out already, cold calls probably did it for him. Neither are in the phonebook, any papers, never seen a flyer from either.

I wonder how they do it?

Steve
06-08-2006, 06:30 PM
Quote[/b] ]Do you need to know alot of people to get a jump start in this industry?
Absolutely. As with any industry, the more people you know the better. It's all these connections that make things happen.

I had once heard if you took away everyone's money and everyone started at $0.00. The rich would be rich again within a year because of their knowledge and their connections.

A retired cop is going to know a ton of people both in the town and in the local government. All of these connections are going to help.

With you, part of what the door hangers are designed to do is to let people get to know you. It sells you. You are their new friend who happens to own a lawn care operation.

When politicians want to win elections, they go out and shake hands with everyone they can. They make you feel good and make you feel you have been friends for years.

The same thing holds true in business. We all like to buy from people we know and trust.

What's your view on this?

tiedeman
06-08-2006, 09:19 PM
I feel that you need to know a lot of people, but yes I am amazed a lot of times in regards to articles that I read about businesses that only in their second and are making 1/2 million dollars.

BSDeality
06-08-2006, 10:10 PM
It isn't what you know, its who you know. I belong to the chamber of commerce in my town, a networking group and rub elbows with as many "important" or well-liked people as I can. The networking group alone has probably sent me $15K+ worth of revenue this year. One client of mine just introduced me to another "important" person last year. He "tried me out" last year and this year I do everything for him. $3K contract to close to $18K now. Sorry I can't be more specific http://www.gophergraphics.com/forum/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Steve
06-08-2006, 10:23 PM
Great story! I hope it inspires others reading to get the word out about what you can do and meet more people.

kc2006
06-08-2006, 10:41 PM
Well the next step for me will be getting my name out as much as possible and become more personalized somehow.

I honestly don't know many people so I'd imagine thats why it's so rough for me. I went into this with nothing basicly, where as alot of people (the ones I mentioned) get in it and already fill up half a schedule with people they know and then word spreads fast. I haven't had one referral this year and I'm offering good money for refferals and I know the work is top notch because everyones always commenting on how great it always looks.

Steve
06-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Quote[/b] ]Well the next step for me will be getting my name out as much as possible and become more personalized somehow.

What are you planning on doing?

kc2006
06-09-2006, 11:16 PM
Not really sure yet TG. Still thinking of new ways.

I did however have an idea from your one post about getting media attention. I'm looking into all organic herbicides/fertilizers and I'm thinking of adding it to my services. I am also cutting out other services that I don't like/aren't in demand/or aren't profitable. I do however think there would be a good market for all organic applications, there seems to be alot of people around here (especially older crowd and parents of course) that want a safer form of chemicals for their lawn. The company I'm looking into claims "it's so safe, you can eat it". But on the media topic, the one local news station has a weatherman that does outdoor features every day on the mid day news and morning news show, so I'm thinking I could get a hold of him after I have the organic products set up and possibly get on the show and discuss the benefits of it and show some of the products (no brand names mentioned so I can keep a competitive edge). I wouldn't share the brand name because no other companies have this type of service around here, and many guys around here don't research the industry, they just know lesco really.

Steve
06-09-2006, 11:36 PM
Quote[/b] ]I am also cutting out other services that I don't like/aren't in demand/or aren't profitable.
What kind of services would they be?

kc2006
06-10-2006, 12:19 AM
Biggest one is shrub trimming! Oh wow do I hate shrub trimming. I bought a nice trimmer last year and have only used it twice. So it's not in demand and I hate it, but it is profitable. I'm not going to advertise it anymore, but if a weekly mowing customer asks for it, I'll do it.

No lawn repairs/small patch work. It's another one of those where people get super picky about it and theres too much risk of having to go back and correct it if they didnt water properly. Plus it's not that profitable, unless I overcharge it.
Dethatching is gone too, I haven't done a dethatching job in 5 years.

A good list of services for me would be: mowing, mulch installs, landscaping/waterscapes/hardscapes, applications, lawn installs. Oh and fall/spring cleanups are going to be for customers only, unless a neighbor comes and asks while I'm there. Last year was horrible for cleanups, I did some advertising for it, so I was getting one time calls like crazy but people wanted it done NOW, I would tell them I'd be out next day, I'd get there and it was done. Plus wasting time/fuel giving estimates. blah no more.

Steve
06-10-2006, 01:20 AM
Quote[/b] ] Last year was horrible for cleanups, I did some advertising for it, so I was getting one time calls like crazy but people wanted it done NOW, I would tell them I'd be out next day, I'd get there and it was done. Plus wasting time/fuel giving estimates. blah no more.

Oh that would make me so mad. I don't blame you for stopping that.

Quote[/b] ]I did however have an idea from your one post about getting media attention. I'm looking into all organic herbicides/fertilizers and I'm thinking of adding it to my services.
I think this could be really played up and marketed. There is such a potential scare factor that could be worked into it. How non organic can potentially harm children or pets or even the enviornment.
You could promote it as consumer and enviornment friendly.

Quote[/b] ]But on the media topic, the one local news station has a weatherman that does outdoor features every day on the mid day news and morning news show, so I'm thinking I could get a hold of him after I have the organic products set up and possibly get on the show and discuss the benefits of it and show some of the products (no brand names mentioned so I can keep a competitive edge).
This sounds like a great idea. I would like to see bounce your idea off him to see if you could get this off the ground. It might be the perfect avenue to get you more noticed.