PDA

View Full Version : Cub cadet?

devuono311
12-14-2009, 03:25 PM
:confused:I found a used 48" walkbehind commercial mower for sale, "Sounds" as though its in great condition, however, I'll obviously being going to take a look at it before any decisions are made. Here are the specs:

Model: 4814
Motor: 14 HP kohler
Deck: 48"
Transmission: Hydrostatic
comes with owners manual, and inludes mulch kit.

However it does need a new pull cord, although present owner claims HE can start it no problem.

Its a mid nineties unit I think, and it blue books at roughly $950. Hes willing to sell it for $400 due to certain circumstances hes in.

What do you guys think?

andyjoneslawncare
12-14-2009, 05:48 PM
Let me start by saying I have no experience with a walk behind and have no idea what I'm talking about. That said, is 14hp a bit weak? I have a residential Cub Cadet ZRT (50") with a Kawasaki 22hp and as far as the brand goes, I'm very pleased, especially considering its a residential model that I use every day. I know a walk behind would be lighter than mine, but not that much, and I guess its 3 blades? On the plus side, I can't think of a better way to have a 48" mower for $400! You could use it as your main mower if you're starting out or a great spare/ extra mower. I'm anxious to see what the "pros" on this forum think. Maybe 14hp is normal for a walk behind. Does it have a sulky? At $400 it seems like a good deal, but like I said, don't put much weight on my opinion, I just wanted to give some points to think about and let you know I'm happy with my Cub.

:confused:I found a used 48" walkbehind commercial mower for sale, "Sounds" as though its in great condition, however, I'll obviously being going to take a look at it before any decisions are made. Here are the specs:

Model: 4814
Motor: 14 HP kohler
Deck: 48"
Transmission: Hydrostatic
comes with owners manual, and inludes mulch kit.

However it does need a new pull cord, although present owner claims HE can start it no problem.

Its a mid nineties unit I think, and it blue books at roughly $950. Hes willing to sell it for $400 due to certain circumstances hes in.

What do you guys think?

andyjoneslawncare
12-14-2009, 09:51 PM
After doing some research, 14hp seems to be the norm for a walk behind. I was checking craigslist and I think you have a great deal on your hands! It all comes down to whether or not its what you're looking for!

SuperiorPower
12-14-2009, 10:42 PM
The first question I have is, what are these certain circumstances that make the seller want to sell it? Have you heard it run?

Here are a list of questions to think about... http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=8833

Here (http://lawnmowerforum.superiorpowerequip.com/index.php/topic,223.new.html#new), on my forum, is another list of questions (you would have to join to be able to access the topic).

Is the mower electric start? Or just manual start?

Replacing the rope is not a big deal, assuming there is no major reason for it breaking. Is there any indication of needing repairs soon? Does the engine have compression?

Basically, if it runs and mows, it is probably worth every bit of $400.

Good luck,
Eli

Steve
12-15-2009, 02:23 AM
How many hours are on it?

Is this the original owner? Was it used for residential or commercial purposes?

Did he explain why he needs to sell it? Did it make sense?

devuono311
12-15-2009, 07:15 PM
Well, they guy has a newer mower from what I understand, and he doesn't WANT this one just sitting around not used, but as far as I know his vehicle cought on fire and hes rushing to get that repaired. So more or less he needs the money.

Steve
12-16-2009, 03:12 AM
Does it have an hour meter on it or do you know how many hours it has been used?