PDA

View Full Version : Three Ways to Keep Your Ego in Check

SuperiorPower
12-14-2009, 01:11 PM
Three Ways to Keep Your Ego in Check

I found this interesting article (http://blogs.harvardbusiness.org/baldoni/2009/12/three_ways_to_keep_your_ego_in.html). I think its something that we can all learn from.... Very interesting!

Steve
12-15-2009, 02:38 AM
What is so fascinating about that is the process. How in order to get to the point of opening your own business, you have to put up with so much crap from others that you just shut them out. You say to yourself, I am going to do this and I don't care what anyone else has to say.

You block people out and you follow the beat of your own internal drum.

Many entrepreneurs then take this and follow this beat until they walk themselves right off a cliff. They begin to think they are untouchable, unbeatable. They are know it all geniuses and it's not until they take a big fall that they have to sit for a moment and reflect.

Some never get to this point.

But to start and run your own business you really need to tune out a lot of incoming negativity and most of what seems to come in is negative.

SuperiorPower
12-15-2009, 08:03 PM
What is so fascinating about that is the process. How in order to get to the point of opening your own business, you have to put up with so much crap from others that you just shut them out. You say to yourself, I am going to do this and I don't care what anyone else has to say.

You block people out and you follow the beat of your own internal drum.

Many entrepreneurs then take this and follow this beat until they walk themselves right off a cliff. They begin to think they are untouchable, unbeatable. They are know it all geniuses and it's not until they take a big fall that they have to sit for a moment and reflect.

Some never get to this point.

But to start and run your own business you really need to tune out a lot of incoming negativity and most of what seems to come in is negative.

Thats a very good point Steve. Its almost like we have to know what the perfect balance is....

Steve
12-16-2009, 04:05 AM
To find success, a lot of times you really need an oversized ego. You have to feed that monster in order to grow.

The world seems to be full of naysayers and a lot of entrepreneurs have to just shut all of them out. So then how does one know ultimately when they are about to take that one step too far?

Who knows !

Maybe it's just part of the adventure. Maybe it's part of the fun too.

Try not to bet the ranch on any single business project so even if it fails, you can live on to fight another day :)

In one of the books I read on Donald Trump, he had 1 bad experience with personally guaranteeing a business loan and after it went sour, he came to the conclusion of never doing that again.