PDA

View Full Version : My Equipment / Suggestions?

CHEESE2009
12-11-2009, 05:05 PM
In 2010, I will have a full time worker assisting me with lawns, & a part time garden weeder who will be maintaining gardens once a month.

Owned Sthil Products:

Hand Held Blower: BG56C

Back Pack Blower: Not sure which model

Trimmer: KM90

Owned Toro Products:

53cm heavy-duty recycler / rear bagger Lawn Mower

Other products owned:

Self propelled homeowner mower

Gas Trimmer (Old)

Electric Hedge Trimmer (Useless gift)

Battery Hedge Trimmer (Useless gift)

2 x Pole Saw

Various Garden Tools

2 Large Grass Cans

8ft Ladder

12ft Ladder

32ft Ladder

Pressure Washer

Etc, the list goes on. Naming everything in the garage would be a nightmare.

Want:

Sub-Compact Zero Turn Rider

Sthil Chainsaw

Hedge Trimmer Attachment for KM90

Sthil Hedge Trimmer

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

I need suggestions on which Sub-Compact Zero Turn Rider to purchase.

I don't require a bagging mower, I will stick with mulching as long as it delivers a good quality cut.

I want it to fit through gates but it's really not that important.

I don't require something huge & expensive, but it must be commercial grade.

If the mower you recommend is expensive, is it worth the money spent?

My dealer services;
Toro
Proline
Lawn-Boy
DixieChopper
Walker,
etc

Go ahead & name anything & I will find out what he can do for me.

justin_time
12-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Hedge Trimmer Attachment for KM90

You can drive to Ontario about 8 hrs and come borrow mine if you want :p

Steve
12-11-2009, 11:55 PM
8ft Ladder

12ft Ladder

32ft Ladder

Can't you get one of those folding ladders? Wouldn't that be easier?

CHEESE2009
12-11-2009, 11:56 PM
You can drive to Ontario about 8 hrs and come borrow mine if you want :p

LOL! It's true, we have the same thing!

Must be the Canadian way!

I just took a 3 hour drive, making laps around the city. Went to McDonalds drive through, then I realized I was going to die with the heater on full blast, & putting the window down didn't give me that perfect temperature, so I went home.

What a boring Friday.

I should really go down there and bug you for a day. Eventually when we're massive, we could trade workers & shhhtuff. Do some drag racing with trailers attached. Hahaha! OH DAMN THAT WOULD BE AWESOME. I can see the damage already, friggen mowers flying through the sky.

I'll go and collect Ontario grass in a jar as a souvenir. LOL

CHEESE2009
12-11-2009, 11:58 PM
Can't you get one of those folding ladders? Wouldn't that be easier?

Well I have several answers but only one is the truth

a) I have a ladder fetish

b) Having a ladder that can adjust several heights is too easy

c) I never thought of it

LOL

C = Truth.... or IS IT!

Steve
12-12-2009, 12:01 AM
Can you get anything to help you with snow removal this winter?

CHEESE2009
12-12-2009, 12:15 AM
Can you get anything to help you with snow removal this winter?

No, I really wish there was.

If I could get a tractor, then all I'd have to do is get people to cancel with their current service provider. Which might be tricky & not worth it this year.

I'm not sure exactly how much it costs for one tractor & all the attachments + maintenance & if it would be profitable at all.

I figure I should stay out of snow removal until I can afford a tractor & get a head start on gaining clients.

Any advice on tractors $$$$$$$$$$$ is welcome!!!

CHEESE2009
12-12-2009, 02:49 AM
http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m25/mad_insane/lightsaber.jpg

Darth Vader is tough competition in these areas.

SuperiorPower
12-12-2009, 09:21 AM
No, I really wish there was.

If I could get a tractor, then all I'd have to do is get people to cancel with their current service provider. Which might be tricky & not worth it this year.

I'm not sure exactly how much it costs for one tractor & all the attachments + maintenance & if it would be profitable at all.

I figure I should stay out of snow removal until I can afford a tractor & get a head start on gaining clients.

Any advice on tractors $$$$$$$$$$$ is welcome!!!

How big of a tractor are you looking for? How much is your tractor budget?

Just curious, how much business do you think you could do in a day if you had a tractor? $300? $1000? $1500??

I could see where you could pay off a substantial part of the that tractor this winter if you got one now. The key that I see is getting in and getting your share of the market NOW!

You can not race as long as you don't have a car in the race....

CHEESE2009
12-12-2009, 07:23 PM

The size doesn't matter, it can be as small as a Bobcat for example if it gets the job done lol. It just has to be efficient enough so I can travel long distances to do more jobs. Big tractors maybe take 2 passes on a single driveway. If I have to do 4 passes, that's fine with me.

Just curious, how much business do you think you could do in a day if you had a tractor? $300? $1000? $1500??

Well it would probably start at $1000.00 & go up from there. I have a few customers that didn't choose a service yet & would seriously take my service. I would charge for the season, lowball everyone (it's late in the season & I need to get the customers that couldn't afford other companies) I'd put my price at $150.00. So I have to figure how many customers I need to have.

I could see where you could pay off a substantial part of the that tractor this winter if you got one now. The key that I see is getting in and getting your share of the market NOW!

I'm sure my neighbors would cancel their contracts with the current company there are with if they saw my tractor parked in the driveway. They are charged $250.00, so I'd slash $100.00 just like that and cross my fingers.

It would be an expensive situation. I never owned a tractor & never really took notice of how much maintenance one would need. My mechanic skills are lacking & I don't know the basics, I'd have to hire someone which shouldn't be a problem considering most of my friends are mechanics (not tractor mechanics, but I could find one) so the best bet would to get a tractor with the least amount of maintenance, something someone can look at for a few minutes & understand the problem, then solve it.

I would LOVE to have pickets made for the ends of driveways. Breeze just sounds like "Snow Removal".

So if you have any ideas, seriously let me know. I'm sure I'll have to get stickers and such plastered on the tractor, for legal reasons & what not.

This is all very confusing to me. I'm also an Automatic driver to top it off. :o

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

SuperiorPower
12-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Scott,

As far as the tractor size, you may need to refer to what you see being used around there since I don't have personal knowledge about the weather or equipment needed to combat the weather. Here is a website too peek at to see if there is anything there that you could get your hands on or not: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forsale/inventory.php/cat/0-25+HP+Tractors/

I know for a while, around here I could buy a small Yanmar tractor, 4X4, with blade for around $4000-$5000. These were used and were considered "gray market" meaning they were imported from Japan or somewhere without Yanmar's permission. I did not need one bad enough to spend that much money on one. But pretty much any of these smaller diesel tractors are fuel friendly. If nothing else, consider a used John Deere from your local John Deere dealer. Also, I am sure that if you knew where to look locally there would be tractor's advertised that you may be able to get your hands on. Grab a local paper and check the ads. Around here we have a plethora of small "ad sheet" or "trader" papers that have nothing but advertisements in them.

Also, did I understand you correctly that you already own a snowblower? If so, use it. Use a truck/trailer to get where you need to go. Then when you get more money, invest in the tractor.

As far as maintenance, there is little that needs done other than regular service, just like your lawn mower.... Air filter, oil change, oil filter, and fuel filter. Perhaps a few other things specific to your machine. It's not that difficult..... lol

Good luck,
Eli

picframer
12-12-2009, 08:38 PM

I agree but I also advertise a lot of services and if I get enough hits, I simply buy the gear to do it, cost for me rarely enters into it, pretty much exerything I bought this year has paid for itself and at this stage that's over four hundred grand, lucky perhaps.

SuperiorPower
12-12-2009, 10:18 PM
I agree but I also advertise a lot of services and if I get enough hits, I simply buy the gear to do it, cost for me rarely enters into it, pretty much exerything I bought this year has paid for itself and at this stage that's over four hundred grand, lucky perhaps.

Good point. I wish I could get to the point where I could purchase what is needed. But that will come with time. Everything in its time....

picframer
12-13-2009, 06:30 AM
Good point. I wish I could get to the point where I could purchase what is needed. But that will come with time. Everything in its time....

And you will Eli, There is that saying that comes to mind "Patience is the True Virtue" Sometimes we have to tape a leap of faith, assuming we are ready and have a plan in place, we have to be able to be proactive and change when we have to and never be afraid to take on the competition or focus on what they have for equipment that we do not as we will drive our selves nuts.

Find the market, market the service, get the equipment and go after it. Start the research and have the equipment, financing etc ready so that when the day comes and you are ready to pull the trigger you simply walk in, get the equipment and go to work, you can ask the Deere dealership here, I have done this probably a dozen times this past summer as I tweaked our services to get into a niche or do a better job and man did it pay off.

Now I am back at woodworking, three days last week as we still did some excavating, one job Monday (drain) then I am shutting down, lots of work, just to cold to do a good job, if I can't do a good job, I won't do it, I will even walk away if the client says if you don't do it I will hire someone else, by all means and call me next year to fix the mess.

So we are at the Farmers/Craft market yesterday where I have been 14+ years, client comments, you really changed what you are making, why did you do that? I replied because my competition that is here is trying to make and sell what we did, the products they designed were not selling, I just raised the bar as I am making things they can't as I know they won't have the equipment and I designed it based on clients like you asking if I made ......., did it pay off, well my sales guy from Deere who is a woodworker in training as a hobby, my son and I started at 6 am setting up, market closes at two, sales....just under $7,000 and that is not a word of a lie.

I will go back to making what I used to as it sold so well and at least 50 people asked for things I normally have, the two woodworkers at the market that are trying to make what I did but the feedback and my observation they have a long way to go to match my quality and they can't work with some of the more difficult woods I do and love to work with, mainly Burls, I am not out to crush them but life is now going to be very tough for them as I can crank four grand a week in new product in the shop.

Take care buddy and keep your chin up, keep building until you are ready to go at it full time and I can tell from your posts, you WILL make it!!!

And by the way Seasons Greetings to All!!!

SuperiorPower
12-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the encouraging words Andy!

I am thinking I may have to hold off until a year from this spring so I can get some more things in order like getting my building in better order, get a better parts stock, possibly more tools, etc.

I expect to be on 2nd shift this coming year, and I think that will help me have more time in the shop, and possibly be able to build it up more while still being full time employed. On second shift I should be able to be up by 8 am and hopefully work until something like 1:30 pm. Currently I work 7-4, monday through friday. After mid January I will be going to a 4 days on, 2 days off, schedule. With that being said, I will have 2 full days off to be in the shop during most weeks. We shall see how it works out....

Eli

Steve
12-14-2009, 11:25 PM
What % of the people that you work with do side jobs or are running their own businesses? It would seem the schedule allows you time to build a side project up.

SuperiorPower
12-14-2009, 11:49 PM
What % of the people that you work with do side jobs or are running their own businesses? It would seem the schedule allows you time to build a side project up.

Right now, not a very large percentage. There are several that are in the National Guard and that is about the biggest thing right now.