PDA

View Full Version : 33/34" mowers

kj.mayer
12-09-2009, 01:22 PM
I was just wondering which brand is a good mower? I am thinking of looking to purchase a 33/34" mower to fit through back yard gates. I want to start with small yards first and see how things go. Any help would be great...
Thanks for all your help
KJ

jasonw
12-09-2009, 01:29 PM
For a push mower I just use a small MTD cheepo lowes mower that has been very good to me. My rider though is 42" and wont fit through the average back gate. I am tempted now to go back and get another rider, the smallest I can find to fit through gates. Maybe its time to grab a used one and custom build a 21" rider lol.

Steve
12-09-2009, 05:43 PM
Hi KJ,

Are you looking for a rider or a walk behind?

kj.mayer
12-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Looking for a walkbehind.

Steve
12-10-2009, 07:24 PM
Well, I am guessing you are looking to pick up a used one? If so, why not find something on craigslist. Find something commercial grade.

Or maybe you are looking to purchase something new?

StartALawnCareBusiness
12-14-2009, 01:38 AM
Ariens has a 33" or a 34" mower I saw at a trade show a couple months back. It looked decent for a back yard mower. It's not commercial grade and has a stamped deck (I DO NOT like stamped decks) but if you use it solely for back yards and you're easy with it, it might be just what you need.

It's by Ariens and I think they call it a "Wide Area Walker" or something like that.

Good luck. Tell us what you think.

Keith
Lawn Care Business guidebook (http://www.StartALawnCareBusiness.com)

SuperiorPower
12-14-2009, 09:28 AM
Whatever you do, DO NOT buy this (http://equipment.greenindustrypros.com/product/79615/Husqvarna_The_WeedeaterOne_from_WeedEater)....

Unless of course you have an extra $700 to spend....

StartALawnCareBusiness
12-14-2009, 10:16 AM
LOL, WeedEaterOne. Yikes, think that would last ONE month?

Superior, on the page you linked to was an Ariens articulating mower. Do you have any experience with articulating mowers? I'll have to find time to check one out after Christmas.

Keith

SuperiorPower
12-14-2009, 11:00 AM
LOL, WeedEaterOne. Yikes, think that would last ONE month?

Superior, on the page you linked to was an Ariens articulating mower. Do you have any experience with articulating mowers? I'll have to find time to check one out after Christmas.

Keith

Maybe one month. Depends on how much you would use it. It reminds me a lot of the old rear engine riders. But this one looks like a child's toy when compared to it. This one has a "specially designed Briggs & Stratton engine" which scares the heck out of me.... This may be fine for someone with a VERY SMALL yard and they only mow their own yard. And mow it OFTEN to keep the grass short...

And as far as the articulating mower, I have no experience with these. The way I look at them is that the articulating steering is just one more thing to go wrong. Furthermore, the AWD model has a MSRP of $5399.95, for a Homeowner model?!?!?!

Husqvarna has 3 product grades: Professional, Landowners, and Homeowner. According to their site, the Homeowner model is for: "Medium Duty, Seasonal or Occasional Use. Residential property owners and others who seek reliable proven performance and quality." This particular mower is strictly a consumer model.

I think the concept is good, but I am not so sure that there is any usefulness to them VS the zero turn mowers available.

Back to your question, no experience. lol

Eli