PDA

View Full Version : snow blower work

jeffery9076
12-06-2009, 07:06 AM
how can you get snowblower work ,not insured no biz license. i am 41 now 15 20 years i would take a shovel out would not come back till i had 250- 300 in my pocket. I was was alot stronger but now i am wiser. I am getting a new snowblower because i got a big drive and it kills me to shovel it anymore. i plan on putting flyers out for my services and calling on business in my area any other ideas welcome

CHEESE2009
12-06-2009, 04:07 PM
how can you get snowblower work ,not insured no biz license. i am 41 now 15 20 years i would take a shovel out would not come back till i had 250- 300 in my pocket. I was was alot stronger but now i am wiser. I am getting a new snowblower because i got a big drive and it kills me to shovel it anymore. i plan on putting flyers out for my services and calling on business in my area any other ideas welcome

Well if your interested in getting snow blower work, I should tell you a story on what to expect.

I finally got my flyers out & received calls from many people interested in my service. I named the price & they accepted.

Keeping one step ahead of the snow wasn't too bad, though eventually when it came that's when I wanted to kick myself.

I thought it was a great idea, how come no one else is doing it? I see everyone with a snow blower, weird.

Well the fact is, even the best snow blowers tend to become useless when needed the most. That's when I realized that shoveling was more efficient, & my back was more reliable.

I had a smile on my face when the day was booked with 25 clients, though when I stopped at my first customer, I never realized how aggravating this service was.

Snow blowers (commercial even) can't remove wet snow, heavy snow, compacted snow. They can't even scrape the driveway clean, they leave a good few inches, though a quick pass with the shovel will do the job.

I also faced a new challenge when I realized the above. My customers would call me to remove the snow the city plows have left at the end of their driveway. I thought this was a great thing! I was wrong.

I went with a shovel, & snow blower. Both these items were useless.

I went to my garage & brought my pickaxe & 2 bags of salt. Already I'm losing money I thought.

So I was there all day breaking the compacted snow & ice. When I couldn't break anymore, I'd toss on the salt & ... WAIT & WAIT & WAIT. Eventually I was able to clear the mess & get the job done.

If you want to run a successful snow blower service, I suggest you visit each customer 3x or more.

At the start of the snowfall
In the middle of the snowfall
at the end of the snowfall
And also after the city plows have passed your customers driveway

If you wait and try to do it all in one shot, you will be there forever in a more annoying sense than if you just waste gas & drive around all day.

You will have to be fast, harder working than most companies & restless.

I also recommend having a backup snow blower, an hour delay can make a difference from having an alright profit to a negative profit.

Good luck!

I suggest that if you start this service to keep an extremely tight route. I mean if you can get all your customers on one street, that's the only way I can see it work to your benefit.

Oh, & bring an mp3 player. !

Steve
12-06-2009, 05:12 PM
Also, did you check out the free flyer section? I have a flyer up there that helps you promote your snow blowing services (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=7200).

http://www.gopherforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=173&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1214390825

If you have sidewalks in your area, you can walk through them with your snow blower and then leave a flyer like this in their mailbox to let them know you cleared their sidewalk. This can be a great way to get your foot in the door.