PDA

View Full Version : Finally one step ahead of the snowman!!!

picframer
12-06-2009, 07:33 AM
Well this time I was ready, major snow storm started a few hours ago, depending on the weather station it could be 10cm or 35cm, quite a spread but it has to do with how far a cold air system just north of us pushes down, lost power around 5:30 but we were ready for that, I have my generator running on the 2520 as the 749 doesn’t have the 3 pt hitch on.

The goal was to put a garage door on the new addition however when I went to put the bearcat chippers in, the chute is 6 foot 11”, the opening is 7 feet which is standard....so I will have to build barn doors which is fine. The garage is 16 X 36, I was able to get 16’ using 16 foot rafters as the overhang on the workshop I attached to was 16”, my worry was a 16 foot span with basically a 14” drop is not a good idea so I used 2 X 6’s 16” on centre, code is 24 but I always overbuild, then I have a third year engineering student come out and do some weight calculations, by adding the 42” 2 X 8’s from the shop wall to the rafter, I am good. However to test it I put the bucket of the 27D excavator up, laid a 2 X 12 down so that I didn’t damage the roof and started putting down force on it, I was able to put enough to lift the front of the tracks so I should be good to go.

Once the weather clears a little this week we will add house wrap, Tyvek, I don’t have time or the weather to put cedar shingles on this year and it will be fine anyhow.

The 2520 is in another carport off a different shed, when I bought this in the early spring, I never even thought to fold the ROPS and as you can see I tore the header off, not a big deal as I will just leave this one open, the way 90% of our winds blow I never get snow in this carport. The Horst snowblade isn't on but that would only take 3 min to attach, run the hydro lines up and use the handy tie straps to hold the lines to the loader.

Anyhow I managed to get everything away, the two excavators will be placed in a friends barn, one chipper is being stored in a neighbour’s garage so I guess I am good, lots of jobs yet to do but the temps in the forecast is not good for next week so I am not sure if we will shut down which would give me some woodworking time.

So I am off to make Christmas crafts, have a super day, the change from landscaping will be fun!

picframer
12-06-2009, 07:55 AM
The initial pictures above were taken about an hour ago, I just returned from taking my daughter to work, this is what it's like in the city.....Looks like we are going to get the upper end of the snow fall amount.

picframer
12-06-2009, 11:28 AM
Well the bad news is my daughters friend stayed over last night and left this morning around 9, she lives close, this is her brand new accent, I would guess it's a write off even though it's a new car, she is OK, she was only going about 40 MPH, less than 5 min from my house, I could have pulled it out but like the RCMP said, better not due to insurance anyhow hit Ice then Slush, when she went in the ditch the front left tire hit a stump, it drove the lower control arm back a good 2 feet, she is ok, shaken but ok, RCMP told me Halifax and area is riddled with accidents, tow truck driver said this was his 14th this morning and in his opinion, it's a write off. Anyhow thank god she was ok. Found it strange the air bag did not go off.

CHEESE2009
12-06-2009, 01:16 PM
Well the bad news is my daughters friend stayed over last night and left this morning around 9, she lives close, this is her brand new accent, I would guess it's a write off even though it's a new car, she is OK, she was only going about 40 MPH, less than 5 min from my house, I could have pulled it out but like the RCMP said, better not due to insurance anyhow hit Ice then Slush, when she went in the ditch the front left tire hit a stump, it drove the lower control arm back a good 2 feet, she is ok, shaken but ok, RCMP told me Halifax and area is riddled with accidents, tow truck driver said this was his 14th this morning and in his opinion, it's a write off. Anyhow thank god she was ok. Found it strange the air bag did not go off.

Holy crap.

That seriously sucks. Glad to hear she is ok!

SuperiorPower
12-06-2009, 04:14 PM
You say that you think its a "write off", what do you mean by that?

picframer
12-06-2009, 06:52 PM

It's a $18,000 car with at least $6,000 in damage, in American 12,000 miles, No way the insurance at least here will fix it, they will write it off. I know quite a bit about vehicles, this has very serious front end damage. When we pulled it out the transmission was leaking probably cracked.

Steve
12-06-2009, 06:53 PM
Andy,

It looks like you got everything stored away just in time too!

I am getting a weird feeling like this wasn't even a bad storm! Even though in that second picture, I can barely see cars on the road.

I am guessing that it's totalled?

picframer
12-06-2009, 09:09 PM
Andy,

It looks like you got everything stored away just in time too!

I am getting a weird feeling like this wasn't even a bad storm! Even though in that second picture, I can barely see cars on the road.

I am guessing that it's totalled?

Yes, I know vehicles well, it doesn't look like a lot of damage but the entitre subframe is movd back a good 2 feet and the transmission and block of the engine are cracked.

SuperiorPower
12-06-2009, 09:23 PM
Yes, I know vehicles well, it doesn't look like a lot of damage but the entitre subframe is movd back a good 2 feet and the transmission and block of the engine are cracked.

Ok, I wondered if that is what you meant but you Canadians talk different! lol :D