PDA

View Full Version : Jobs Summit?

swstout
12-04-2009, 10:12 AM
The Democratic leadership stated yesterday that President Barrack Obama's options for spurring job growth may be limited by out-of-control budget deficits! Did someone come down with a grasp of the obvious?

Yesterday's "Jobs Summit" should be feared. Look at the attendees, or more importantly those not "Invited". Invited were the token private sector CEO of Goggle, 19 union officials, academics, politicians and supporters of Obama. Check the names and you will find the same names on the list of Economic Stimulus Package developers.

Those not invited: Private sector job sources like the National Association of Manufacturers, The American Institute of Contractors, The National Retail Federation, the National Association of Wholesalers, the American Small Business Association, the National Business Association, the National Small Business United, The US Chamber of Commerce. The list goes on and on of those who could provide jobs that were excluded.

What came out of this great endeavor? A plan to finance (borrow) another $70,000,000,000.00 for a jobs bill. A bill that won't add a single private sector job with all the prompt and cheerleading necessary to hide another round of "PORK".

Did someone come down with a grasp of the obvious? Not the Obama administration.
Steve

Steve
12-04-2009, 03:33 PM
I saw in the news yesterday they had this summit and Obama was saying new jobs needed to be created.

In the situation we are in, I don't know of anything the feds can do to stimulate jobs right now. It seems jobs growth is going to follow the tail end of the economy when it slowly starts to improve.

Maybe the federal government will come up with some plan like Eisenhower who created better highway infrastructure? Maybe Obama could help spur a high speed train construction between major cities or something like that?

I don't know.

Otherwise it's going to be a long haul out of this economic slump. I simply don't see any quick fixes.

swstout
12-04-2009, 04:15 PM
I saw in the news yesterday they had this summit and Obama was saying new jobs needed to be created.

In the situation we are in, I don't know of anything the feds can do to stimulate jobs right now. It seems jobs growth is going to follow the tail end of the economy when it slowly starts to improve.

Maybe the federal government will come up with some plan like Eisenhower who created better highway infrastructure? Maybe Obama could help spur a high speed train construction between major cities or something like that?

I don't know.

Otherwise it's going to be a long haul out of this economic slump. I simply don't see any quick fixes.

I saw in the news yesterday they had this summit and Obama was saying new jobs needed to be created. Yes, but jobs for all people, not just the groups that contribute to the party.

In the situation we are in, I don't know of anything the feds can do to stimulate jobs right now. It seems jobs growth is going to follow the tail end of the economy when it slowly starts to improve. The fed can start by stopping. Stop bailing out failures. Let the free market choose who succeeds or fails.

2nd, they can stop hindering home grown energy. Just the natural gas industry could create 5,000,000 good paying jobs. Open back up the gas industry - another 3,000,000 jobs.

3rd, promote other than government jobs. Government is already too big.

4th, Reduce taxes on business. Business in actuality don't pay taxes; they pass it on in higher prices.

5th, have a real job stimulus. Require that every amendment or "part" answer this question: How many full time private sector jobs will this create? If the answer is zero, throw it out. Have a sunset provision in it. If positive results (jobs) are not created in 6 months, end the program. Fire everyone in the program and stop refunding failure. Force results or fire the burocracy in charge of the program.

I won't be instant, but it will be ongoing and promote confidence for a change.

Steve

lawncrafter56
12-04-2009, 05:37 PM
All this time pissed away on health care when a little fix so easy could have been sufficient for time being. Talk about asleep behind the wheel with concern about a shrinking job markets.
help biz!!! so simple ...Lower Taxes for starts. and quit gifting everybody and their special interest money.
I can make it fine without help, thankyou. Just quit peeing Federal Monies away so that my money is worth in the future what it is now and not a 5 cents less.

Steve
12-05-2009, 03:06 AM
5th, have a real job stimulus. Require that every amendment or "part" answer this question: How many full time private sector jobs will this create? If the answer is zero, throw it out. Have a sunset provision in it. If positive results (jobs) are not created in 6 months, end the program. Fire everyone in the program and stop refunding failure. Force results or fire the burocracy in charge of the program.

Have you seen anything like this that has worked?

All this time pissed away on health care when a little fix so easy could have been sufficient for time being.

When it comes to health care reform now, I am stumped. I have no idea what will fix this. What is your take of some of the steps that could be taken?

The Cleaning Doctor
12-05-2009, 07:59 AM
For the health care one thing you can do is limit jury awards. If the awards had a cap of say $5M plus medical expenses that would help bring down malpractice insurance and thus the costs. You see why do you need any more than that. Unless the malpractice was done on purpose then the sky is the limit. You couldn't pay me enough to be a doctor. They are human also and mistakes are made, granted the consequences can be deadly but so is drinking and driving.

Here is how it is fixed.

November - Send everyone that voted for healthcare package as it stands now home for good. These fools are not thinking of the consequences down the road. Once the Government starts spending they don't quit. We need someone to go in there and grow a set and start cutting the spending even if it means only one term in office. I see too many able bodied people sitting in public housing drinking beer. I thought these people were poor, how did they get the beer?

Change the welfare system from being a crutch to being a bridge. You see they cut the funding off too soon, it needs to make up the gap between the wage earned and the poverty level. Not, ok you made $50 this week so we can't pay you any money even though we usually give you $100. They sould pay the $50 gap and the people will pull themselves out of the hole with a little time and work experience.

2nd fix would be term limits. Politicians have forgotten what it means to serve in their capacity. They are elected to to what is right for the country NOT necessarily what is good for their home boys. There needs to be line item veto power for the president and congress so they can cut out the pork. Or the president just needs to have the cajones to veto the whole bill and let the American public know why and what he did.

swstout
12-05-2009, 09:51 AM
Have you seen anything like this that has worked?

When it comes to health care reform now, I am stumped. I have no idea what will fix this. What is your take of some of the steps that could be taken?

Yes, Sunset provisions have been used successfully many times. Mostly in Municipalities. At Sylvan Beach, NY Every new law or regulation must have a projected result when passed. If the projections are not verified at 6 months, it is scrapped completely. A delay in verification is the same as not meeting projection so delay tactics can't work.

The Sunset Provision forces results.

Fix Health Care

Set Limits Of Liability. The average doctor pays over $250,000.00 for liability insurance. Almost half of your medical expenses is for legal costs and expenses.

Allow competition among insurance carriers. As it is now, States can only get coverage from carriers within the that State.

Get government out of health care! Lawyers and politicians are making medical decisions. What if it were reversed? What if doctors determined legal ethics standards for lawyers and politicians.

We have the best health care system in the world. A system that the politicians want to keep for themselves but not for you. If they want to overhaul health care, overhaul it for everyone (including themselves). Let them and their families use the same system they promote.

Steve

lawncrafter56
12-05-2009, 05:56 PM
Tort Reforms
Set Limits Of Liability. The average doctor pays over $250,000.00 for liability insurance. Almost half of your medical expenses is for legal costs and expenses.

Free markets
Allow competition among insurance carriers. As it is now, States can only get coverage from carriers within the that State.

i agree with steve, he is a wise man

lawncrafter56
12-05-2009, 06:03 PM
After catching up with the thread, Pat has the EXCELLENT answers too! Term limits sound so good but that one could be a little difficult to achieve.
it is nice to see a few more here with interest.

Steve
12-05-2009, 06:14 PM
I think there should be term limits on all political positions. It's the only way to keep politicians from getting too comfortable in their position and feeling entitled.

SuperiorPower
12-05-2009, 08:43 PM
I agree with everything that has been said.

On the matter of creating jobs, let me mention something that has occurred to me. Here is the type of jobs we need (IMHO):

We need "entry level" jobs. There are a lot of people out there who could be gainfully employed if there was more work. What I see is jobs being created that can only be filled by people who already have jobs for the most part. The jobs I see being created are highly skilled jobs. Maybe I am wrong, maybe we need to promote people getting more of these jobs, training or getting the training for the jobs?? Bottom line, like everyone else has said, we need LESS government jobs. My personal opinion is that if we cut a lot of government jobs we would save a lot of taxes, which would permit the business taxes to be lowered, which would in turn lower the cost of doing business, the retail prices, and the cost of living for EVERYONE....

Cleaning Doc you hit the nail on the head about able bodied people sitting in the ghetto drinking.... Let me tell you, these people have a job though. They sell drugs, rip people off, assault their girlfriends (Yes, plural. and most of them are not married. Marriage is just an inconvenience and an additional expense to them.). They are very busy indeed. I mean, come on, how do you get several kids in a year, all from different "baby mama's"?????

Come on guys, keep working. Millions on welfare (and their illegitimate children) depend on it..:mad:

As far as malpractice insurance, let me tell you, I can not tell you how many times I have served papers to doctors for cases that when you read their story, it is so lame that any legit jury would throw it out if the judge ever lets it get to them. Most of these malpractice suits are YEARS old and some of them are as thick as a ream of paper. Just think, that gave some stupid legal secretary, or whatever they are, a job for a LONG TIME! See, if we cut malpractice suits then these folks may have to go get a real job!

Term limits.... Ahhhh, yes, term limits. A problem I see is that some of these people (well most of them actually) should never be in office to need term limits used against them. So I say its the people's fault. Don't get me wrong, I think term limits are a great idea and we need to have term limits put in place. But it really starts before that. Those of us who have a head on our shoulders need to educate the ones who don't. There are a lot of resources out there to teach these people. It is not "cool" to educate people about their mistakes, but I would rather offend someone in the right direction than pamper them in the wrong direction...

I still say people need to stand behind the Constitution Party. They stand on some great principals that we need to get into Washington. They stand on the CONSTITUTION!

Ok, I am off my soap box (I think).

The Cleaning Doctor
04-07-2011, 03:14 AM
I found a quote and had to revisit this thread.

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. - Thomas Jefferson

As for the term limits here is what I would do.

Congress - 4 terms = 8 years
Senate - 2 terms = 12 years

If you are not good enough to make it from congress to the senate then we do not need you as you are not doing your JOB! If you are able to serve in both houses for full terms then that is = to 20 years.... The same as our military.

President is already taken care of. 2 terms or 12 months from November.:eek:

Fisher
04-07-2011, 08:36 AM

4th, Reduce taxes on business. Business in actuality don't pay taxes; they pass it on in higher prices.

Steve

Again this is how low ballers work cheap, they just want to do better than their last hourly wage and to not pay taxes on that is just a bonus for them.

I was bidding a lawn that needed a lot of landscaping projects done that the homeowner had planned through one year to do. The guy who currently does the cut and trim may end up doing it. The homeowner said that he would do whatever she wanted for $12.50 per hour. He's been working this neighbor hood for 7years and at that rate I understand why he hasn't upgraded his equipment. He may be cheaper per hour but I feel that my production rate would make up the difference.