PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone from a new guy.

BlaseLandscaping
12-03-2009, 09:36 AM
Hi my name is Joe and I am going to be starting my own landscaping business in the next couple months. I wanted to say hi and at this point I have nothing bought yet and am looking for a truck,mower,poss trailer,etc. I cqan use any help from you all as well. This site is hard to navigate as only my 2nd day on it but it looks like it is awesome and has alot of info to offer and you all seem very helpful to everyone as well. I worked in an office for the last 12 years and was laid off last August. Jobs do not want to pay anything so I am going this route. I helped a couple friends of mine over the years on their landscape businesses so I know what to expect but help is always appreciated. I am also a Photographer (mostly weddings and portraits) so I still will be doing that as well but that has slowed down alot as well.

Any feedback would be great and look forward to seeing you on here.

My business name will be my last name Blase Landscaping and I am in the Philadelphia suburbs.

Take care,

Joe Blase

Steve
12-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Hi Jon,

Welcome to our forum!

This site is hard to navigate as only my 2nd day on it but it looks like it is awesome and has alot of info to offer

Do you have any suggestions as to how to make it easier to navigate?

I helped a couple friends of mine over the years on their landscape businesses so I know what to expect but help is always appreciated.

Are you still friends with them? Can they throw you extra business or subcontract you for some services?

I am also a Photographer (mostly weddings and portraits) so I still will be doing that as well but that has slowed down alot as well.

Did you offer video taping of weddings as well? What did you think of that business?

BlaseLandscaping
12-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Steve to answer your feedback.

It is hard to navigate only on my own doing just trying to get used to a new site. It is setup fine.

As far as my friends go the one sold most of his business off and went into the scrap metal business. He only kept 4 accounts. My other buddy does it FT and has a good thing going. He asked if I wanted to head a crew but thought I should go on my own. More money and we are very good friends and did not want to ruin anything there.

As far as doing video with wedding photography I actually had a video business until digital came out then just stuck to photography.

Thanks for your input,look forward to more soon.

Joe Blase

SuperiorPower
12-04-2009, 01:33 AM
Welcome! and don't be afraid to ask questions!

Steve
12-04-2009, 02:07 AM
As far as doing video with wedding photography I actually had a video business until digital came out then just stuck to photography.

If you still have the video equipment, I bet you could create some great commercials to put online that could drive traffic to your website.

arthur712
12-05-2009, 06:40 PM
Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum!

Everyone here is very helpful!

BlaseLandscaping
12-05-2009, 11:04 PM
I do not have the video equiptment as it was about 6 years ago. I look forward to talking to you all more on here.

Steve
12-06-2009, 12:44 AM
Joe,

When you were running your wedding photography business, how did you market it?

Would any of the marketing skills you learned then apply to your current lawn care business and help you gain more customers?

BlaseLandscaping
12-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Steve, Yes I did market with the photography but not the samewith Landscaping. It will probably work better for Landscaping as more customers want landscaping than a photographer. Also the product were selling is cheaper than photogfraphy unless your doing major work like a patio,etc.
I am generally speaking of mowing,mulching,weeding versus wedding photography. I did some paid internet and free internet ads and they all stunk. I am not sure what to do with ads for landscaping. Do you suggest where to start? I was thinking the local paper and a couple free papers that are around. I know alot of people and they are helping me by getting the word out and hanging cards and flyers in public areas,etc.

Steve
12-06-2009, 05:56 PM
It seems we see a lot of success when lawn care business owners are able to network with members of their community and become the go to person for that specific field.

It's important to start small, focus on quality and then expand that out to neighbors and friends.

I do wonder if you could pull together those two interests.

Could you offer free family portrait photos at a local store and then promote your lawn care service in the Spring?

I bet a store would love to have a lot of people coming in.

You could also do free Easter family photos later next Spring.