PDA

View Full Version : Steve's New Book (Vol 3)

VPC
12-02-2009, 06:44 AM
Here I am, just turning 50 years old, retired police officer trying to get into lawn care.
Well, I have the mowers, a blower and a trimmer, I should be getting an edger next month and I have Steve's newest book on its way from Amazon.
My biggest hurdle that I foresee is getting those initial customers. I really don't want to go into this thing full time so 25 customers per week is pretty much all I want.
Here's to hoping that book gives me some ideas on how to start out and gain those customers.
I will let you know how the book is and if anyone has any other tried and trued methods of attracting and retaining customers, I am all ears.
Thanks in advance,
Aaron

Steve
12-02-2009, 02:27 PM
Hi Aaron,

I would figure you have strong community ties in your area after working in the town for 25 years.

Have you gotten business cards out yet and started to let everyone know you are in business now?

Or what have you been doing so far?

VPC
12-06-2009, 08:25 AM
Steve, I am not really doing anything as of yet but I have your book and I am going to try some of those ideas to get the first customers.

Again, I am open to other suggestions in starting out and getting those elusive first customers :)

Steve
12-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Again, I am open to other suggestions in starting out and getting those elusive first customers

Do you have family local? Can you get the gears of your business turning first by offering them some free lawn care and then using those properties as a beach head to expand your operation outward?

Or maybe some friend's homes?

That would also help you get some testimonials from them and get some before and after pictures.

VPC
12-06-2009, 07:25 PM
Great idea! Word of mouth from them maybe will get me those customers in no time... hopefully :)

jfcrawford
12-06-2009, 09:28 PM
put your number in the local paper that's what i did and i got 35 customer the first year