PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my latest foreclosure clean up

dhawk
12-01-2009, 11:33 PM
This one had been sitting for quite a while - LOL - look hard and you will see a house on the right side of the first pic

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm216/dhawk428/byan2.jpg

http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm216/dhawk428/byan.jpg

Steve
12-02-2009, 01:25 AM
Oh my gosh! That looked like a jungle at first!

How long did that take to clear out?

dhawk
12-02-2009, 02:53 AM
32 man hours on site
6 more man hours making runs to the dump to get rid of the 2.5 tons of debris

Wow - was I wishing I had a dump trailer.... that will be the next thing I purchase

Steve
12-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Do you think you learned anything from this job? Or would you do anything differently the next time?

I wishing I had a dump trailer.... that will be the next thing I purchase

How much time do you feel this would have saved?

dhawk
12-02-2009, 06:22 PM
A dump trailer would have saved me about six to 8 hours. Making multiple trips to the dump is just dead time - plus handling the debris twice just does not make sense.

Clear cut it, toss it in the dump bed, one or two trips to the dump, push the button to offload.......wow, that would be soooo much easier.

As usual, I learned that I need to figure more time into each job - I always think it will go faster and be easier than it really is.

Steve
12-02-2009, 08:09 PM
A dump trailer would have saved me about six to 8 hours. Making multiple trips to the dump is just dead time - plus handling the debris twice just does not make sense.

In the past we have talked about how to speed dumping up. One member was able to lay down a tarp on his trailer and then have a little hanging over the front.

He fills up the trailer with debris.

When he gets to the dump, he takes a rope and ties it to the tarp and to a tree.

He drives forwards and the debris is pulled out of the trailer. Maybe this would help you?

As usual, I learned that I need to figure more time into each job - I always think it will go faster and be easier than it really is.

What did you initially think it would take as far as man hours?

How did you handle it that it took you longer? Did it mess up your bid and cost you or did it still work out all right?

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
12-15-2009, 07:10 AM
Looks good. Did you get to price this one by the hr or did you have to give a price up front . Im working for a few banks this year . Some houses it by the hr and some I have to bid . But looks real good !!! Ps how many bees nest did you run over !!!

Steve
12-16-2009, 03:09 AM
Did you get to price this one by the hr or did you have to give a price up front

Which way do you think is the better way to go about this?

dhawk
12-16-2009, 09:08 PM
Looks good. Did you get to price this one by the hr or did you have to give a price up front . Im working for a few banks this year . Some houses it by the hr and some I have to bid . But looks real good !!! Ps how many bees nest did you run over !!!

I priced it up front.
0 bees nest
1 billion fire ants - really, really, upset fire ants

I have never managed to get one "by the hour". I guess if it were a good hourly rate, that would be nice.

My problem is, I really like the challenge of estimating the project and the negotiations with the client. Some times it bites me, sometimes it works in my favor..........

The perfect world is when I get the quote right, I make decent money, and my client gets more than they expected.

This one bit me because I underestimated the time it was going to take.
Chalk another up to lesson learned.....

Steve
12-17-2009, 01:43 AM
This one bit me because I underestimated the time it was going to take.

How long did you think it would originally take you?

dhawk
12-17-2009, 09:53 PM
How long did you think it would originally take you?

I figured it around 32 hours, so it wasn't really that bad - I just don't like it when I do that to myself.