PDA

View Full Version : Adverting this time of year?

jasonw
11-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Ok first of all I don't think adverting is a word but it sounds cool and you get it so yeah. Anyway should I stop my paid advertising this time of year. I have not gotten even a bite for months so I am thinking of saving my $30 per month and sticking with the free stuff like CL until the season comes back around. Any suggestions?

StartALawnCareBusiness
11-23-2009, 03:30 PM
If you haven't received a bite in months, maybe your advertising is poorly placed or poorly worded. Use the next couple months to experiment with and tweak your advertising.

$30/month isn't too much. One gained customer will pay for your entire winter's campaign.

Keith

Steve
11-23-2009, 03:35 PM
What were you advertising and how were you doing it?

jasonw
11-23-2009, 03:38 PM
Here is my advert

FOOT HILL LAWN CARE - Providing nearly all aspects of yard maintenance. (209) 217-4901 www.foothilllawncare.com

It was miscatigorised but now is in the proper category. Still no bites though. Dose anyone have any suggestions? BTW mine is the only one in the "Experts at your serves-Lawn care" category. Seems pretty good to me to be the only one in there.

Steve
11-23-2009, 03:40 PM
Maybe consider something seasonal.

Maybe try some internet advertising? Like on google?

I would keep experimenting with the craigslist ads too.

Did you ask any of your current customers if they needed any additional services around the house before winter is here?

jasonw
11-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Maybe consider something seasonal.

Maybe try some internet advertising? Like on google?

I would keep experimenting with the craigslist ads too.

Did you ask any of your current customers if they needed any additional services around the house before winter is here?

I offer additional services but don't push them. I do advertise on Google. It costs me a ton of money every month, over $100 and gets me nothing. I also advertise on CL. I sent my employee around last Saturday to go door to door with fliers but have yet to get one phone call.

Steve
11-23-2009, 11:14 PM
It costs me a ton of money every month, over $100 and gets me nothing.

I'd probably pull that ad then and try other avenues. Maybe go with flyers at the local stores. Try networking up with contractors from other kinds of businesses. Anything that can get you more plugged into the community.

TeamDynamic
11-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Here is my advert

FOOT HILL LAWN CARE - Providing nearly all aspects of yard maintenance. (209) 217-4901 www.foothilllawncare.com

It was miscatigorised but now is in the proper category. Still no bites though. Dose anyone have any suggestions? BTW mine is the only one in the "Experts at your serves-Lawn care" category. Seems pretty good to me to be the only one in there.

Your add seems like it's basically just your contact info. Lead off the add with a benefit and then show your contact info.

Example.

Receive 10% Off Fall Clean Up when you mention this add by March 1, 2009(or however long you want to run the add)
your company name
phone number
website

Steve
11-27-2009, 12:45 AM
What is your view on how changing that can help the response rate of the ad?

TeamDynamic
11-27-2009, 01:16 AM
What is your view on how changing that can help the response rate of the ad?
I've never kept track of exact numbers, but I've gotten a lot more response when I put a benefit at the top and contact info bottom. A few years ago when I first passed out flyers I did the basic company name, contact info, and list of services. I received very little response. I took a look at some of the other flyers on the doors and noticed that every other company was doing the same thing(company name, contact info, and list of services). I guess I realized that people need a better reason than contact info to call you rather than the other guy. If someone wants to see just contact info and services they'll just look in the phone book.

jasonw
12-02-2009, 01:31 PM
So what would you recommend I put? I really charge as little as I can now so giving discounts would suck. Maybe I can put something like "New low prices for the new year" I really don't have to lower them but new customer will think they are getting a deal. Do you think that's to dishonest?

Steve
12-02-2009, 03:37 PM
I really don't have to lower them but new customer will think they are getting a deal. Do you think that's to dishonest?

I don't know if people are necessarily looking for the lowest price per say. I think the bigger issue is that they find someone reliable and friendly. When we look at others on here who find a lot of success, they tend to make it happen with their networking. With talking to people. Being onsite and having others take notice enough to stop and talk.

All other forms of advertising seems to be secondary to person to person networking.

The services being offered can play a large role as well. We have seen many members offer organic fertilization and find a niche that really opened up for them.

Each of these factors need to played with.