PDA

View Full Version : cornmeal as pre emergent

nozzlehead
11-23-2009, 10:33 AM
I have done some reading on using ground cornmeal as a pre emergent for weeds. Has any tried this? With everyone going green, this is a simple solution. There are also other benifits to using cormneal. If you want to check this out, do a Google search for "cornmeal for lawns".

swstout
11-23-2009, 06:05 PM
I have done some reading on using ground cornmeal as a pre emergent for weeds. Has any tried this? With everyone going green, this is a simple solution. There are also other benifits to using cormneal. If you want to check this out, do a Google search for "cornmeal for lawns".

I don't know about ground cornmeal but I have had good results with corn gluten meal. I had been using LiquiGold a liquid corn gluten with good results. Unfortunately the supplier I was using seems to have gotten into some trouble and has had their web site pulled. I contacted the Canadian Company that makes it and their Canadian and US suppliers today.

Unfortunately, they have not gotten back to me yet.

When I knowm I'll let you know.

Steve

nozzlehead
11-26-2009, 11:19 PM
Thanks, from what I have read on the granulated corn, it is that the gluten that is the key part of it. Sounds pretty much like the liquid you were using.

picframer
11-27-2009, 03:25 AM
We have sprayed around 60 places this year with the Liquid gold, I buy direct from the manufacturer as we go through so much of it, works very well and very fast, here is their website http://www.environmentalfactor.com/

Fresh Cut
12-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Andy & Steve,

So the LiquiGold helps eliminate weeds too? Or does it just make the grass thrive?

I'm curious as to all the benefits. I want to start looking into what all I need to get a setup to apply this.

I find that a lot of my customers want some form of fertilizer and would rather have the same person doing everything as opposed to paying me to maintain the yard and paying TruGreen or Chemlawn or Scott's to treat the yard.

I want something that I could use on all my yards, like a universal product or one that only requires slight modification, no matter what kind of grass the customer has.
Would this be practical, Andy/Steve?

Does you guy's setup look anything like this?
http://images.craigslist.org/3nb3p53o55T85P25R99bsf69805b61d221ee7.jpg

What kind of trailer y'all have for the tank?
How many gallon water tank you have?
How many feet of hose?

SuperiorPower
12-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Nozzlehead,

I have read some one this recently and I came to the understanding that the actual dry product is not as affective as the liquid product. I found this quote on another lawn forum. It was posted by "bill" from ICT Organics (see link later in this post).

with CGM the application needs to be watered in and there has to be a small drying period for the CGM to attack the root (same is true with synthetic pre-m's)
with our liquid product you do not have to water the application in
We sell our product to some folks out west where it is very dry, if they apply CGM they may come back 6 weeks later and the granules are still apparent (no rain and no humidity conditions) so it does not do its job

As far as where to get the LiquiGold, I followed the link Andy provided and according to their website, ICT Organic's (http://www.ictorganics.com/), is the distributor here in the US. Here (http://www.ictorganics.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.productDetail/productID/9/index.htm) is the link to their Gluten product, "Gluten8". Steve isn't this the product you use?

Fresh Cut,
There is a bunch of info here (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=10419) that may be of help to you.

Good luck to both of you as I am still learning myself.
Eli

swstout
12-06-2009, 01:22 PM
Andy & Steve,

So the LiquiGold helps eliminate weeds too? Or does it just make the grass thrive?

I'm curious as to all the benefits. I want to start looking into what all I need to get a setup to apply this.

I find that a lot of my customers want some form of fertilizer and would rather have the same person doing everything as opposed to paying me to maintain the yard and paying TruGreen or Chemlawn or Scott's to treat the yard.

I want something that I could use on all my yards, like a universal product or one that only requires slight modification, no matter what kind of grass the customer has.
Would this be practical, Andy/Steve?

Does you guy's setup look anything like this?
http://images.craigslist.org/3nb3p53o55T85P25R99bsf69805b61d221ee7.jpg

What kind of trailer y'all have for the tank?
How many gallon water tank you have?
How many feet of hose?

LiquiGold (Now called Gluten8 in the US) is first, a slow release organic fertilizer (8% nitrogen) and second, a weed controler. It controls weeds by inhibiting germination. It will also stop your turf from germinating. So do not use before re-seeding. Apply after grass seeds have germinated and new grass is evident.
I don't know where you are located but here in the Southeast most of the turf grass becomes dormant duringt the winter months, but the weeds keep growing and producing seed. Most weeds are hindered when they loose direct sunlight. Growing grass shades the weeds and inhibits their growth (but not when the turf is dormant. Gluten essentially makes the seeds sterile.
Liquid organic products can be mixed and matched to cover just about every turf and condition. Fertilization, weed control, insect control, disease control and above all soil building.

Bio-Enhanced Liquid Fertilizers
All Nature's Lawn liquid fertilizers are supplemented with a natural nutrient package derived from Seaweed, Humic Acids, and Molasses. What this means to you is that you are getting a soil improving fertilizer with added vitamins, bio-stimulants, and trace elements. Each product contains vitamins B-1, B-12, gibberellins, indoles, auxins as well as trace elements of boron, iron, zinc, cobalt, copper, manganese, molybdenum and sulfur. The nutrients in our liquid fertilizers are chelated, meaning they are instantly available to the plant. Our NPK sources are salt and chlorine free, which means safe for the plant and soil. In fact, all our raw materials used in our liquid fertilizers are classed as food grade materials.

Both my tow behind sprayers have a spraying boom. The Fimco sprays an 80 inch swath and the AgraFab a 108 inch swath. 6-1/2 to 9 feet per pass. Both have a spot sprayer with about 10 feet of hose.

Steve

Fresh Cut
01-01-2010, 12:27 PM
LiquiGold (Now called Gluten8 in the US) is first, a slow release organic fertilizer (8% nitrogen) and second, a weed controler. It controls weeds by inhibiting germination. It will also stop your turf from germinating. So do not use before re-seeding. Apply after grass seeds have germinated and new grass is evident.
I don't know where you are located but here in the Southeast most of the turf grass becomes dormant duringt the winter months, but the weeds keep growing and producing seed. Most weeds are hindered when they loose direct sunlight. Growing grass shades the weeds and inhibits their growth (but not when the turf is dormant. Gluten essentially makes the seeds sterile.
Liquid organic products can be mixed and matched to cover just about every turf and condition. Fertilization, weed control, insect control, disease control and above all soil building.

Bio-Enhanced Liquid Fertilizers
All Nature's Lawn liquid fertilizers are supplemented with a natural nutrient package derived from Seaweed, Humic Acids, and Molasses. What this means to you is that you are getting a soil improving fertilizer with added vitamins, bio-stimulants, and trace elements. Each product contains vitamins B-1, B-12, gibberellins, indoles, auxins as well as trace elements of boron, iron, zinc, cobalt, copper, manganese, molybdenum and sulfur. The nutrients in our liquid fertilizers are chelated, meaning they are instantly available to the plant. Our NPK sources are salt and chlorine free, which means safe for the plant and soil. In fact, all our raw materials used in our liquid fertilizers are classed as food grade materials.

Both my tow behind sprayers have a spraying boom. The Fimco sprays an 80 inch swath and the AgraFab a 108 inch swath. 6-1/2 to 9 feet per pass. Both have a spot sprayer with about 10 feet of hose.

Steve

Steve, those tow behind mowers look great, but I don't have a zero turn just yet. I can't afford one right now. All I have is a walk-behind. What
What would you suggest for my setup? What are some other options as far as spraying goes?

Also, I'm kinda confused on the cornmeal as pre-emergent part. Is LiquiGold a kind of pre-emergent? Or can it be used instead of pre-emergent?

I was gonna use pre-emergent on some of my customers yards this January and then spray them with the organic LiquiGold early spring, that would give me time to get the equipment I need to apply it. Does this not make sense?

TIA
E.P.

swstout
01-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Steve, those tow behind mowers look great, but I don't have a zero turn just yet. I can't afford one right now. All I have is a walk-behind. What
What would you suggest for my setup? What are some other options as far as spraying goes?

Also, I'm kinda confused on the cornmeal as pre-emergent part. Is LiquiGold a kind of pre-emergent? Or can it be used instead of pre-emergent?

I was gonna use pre-emergent on some of my customers yards this January and then spray them with the organic LiquiGold early spring, that would give me time to get the equipment I need to apply it. Does this not make sense?

TIA
E.P.

I do not have a ZTR. I have 3 lawn tractors, 2 with mowing decks and one that has had the mowing deck removed. I use the one with the deck removed to tow the sprayer and other equipment such a lawn trailer.

You can get a hose end sprayer al Lowe's or practically any hardware store. You fill the hose end sprayer with the concentrated solution (or solutions because you can mix different liquid products and apply them simultaneously). They are about $10.00 and they are easy to use. I use the Ortho model for areas I can't get my tractor into such as gated back yards where the gate is too small.

LiquiGold (how called Gluten8) is a pre-emergent weed control product. It is also a fertilizer but it only contains 8-9% nitrogen which is great for the turfs that require less nitrogen such as Centipede.

I will use Aerify and Natures magic in the early spring and Gluten8 in January. Grass has a dormant season but weeds don't. I would use Gluten8 again at the end of June. I try to sell Nature's Magic treatment every 4-5 weeks during the growing season.

Steve

Fresh Cut
01-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Steve, a hose end sprayer like this....

http://base0.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=http://www.buyhardwaresupplies.com/images/products/newJPGs/71/7124266.jpg&size=20&dhm=4cf78bbd&hl=en

What about people that don't have a hose or don't want me using their hose?

From what I read about Gluten-8, it has a 1:3 mix ratio (1 quart Gluten-8 to 3 quarts of water), how would I apply that with the hose end sprayer? If I put the mixed solution in the sprayer wouldn't it become more diluted spraying it with more water?

I'm looking to expand and I feel like this is something that I can do, I'm just trying to see how I can fit it in my budget as well as my setup.

picframer
01-11-2010, 08:47 PM
LiquiGold (how called Gluten8)
Steve

You may wish to check the facts on this as I posted before, Liquid Gold is a Canadian Company that has the rights to this name, the USA company buying it decided to come up with their own product, I would check their references before I hang my hat, there are a lot of products on the market, Organic and otherwise that simply do not work.

I know the guys from Environmental Factor and I am aware of the email sent by the USA company as I sent it on for them to deal with, I will stick with Liquid Gold as I know it works and works well.

http://www.environmentalfactor.com/index.html

swstout
01-12-2010, 01:22 AM
You may wish to check the facts on this as I posted before, Liquid Gold is a Canadian Company that has the rights to this name, the USA company buying it decided to come up with their own product, I would check their references before I hang my hat, there are a lot of products on the market, Organic and otherwise that simply do not work.

I know the guys from Environmental Factor and I am aware of the email sent by the USA company as I sent it on for them to deal with, I will stick with Liquid Gold as I know it works and works well.

http://www.environmentalfactor.com/index.html

I contacted Environmental Factor about Liquid Gold and they directed me to the company in the US that carrues their product. They told me that Gluten8 is LiquiGold and the specs seem the same.

I contacted them the same day Environmental Factor sent me their link.

Steve

picframer
01-12-2010, 06:08 AM
I contacted Environmental Factor about Liquid Gold and they directed me to the company in the US that carrues their product. They told me that Gluten8 is LiquiGold and the specs seem the same.

I contacted them the same day Environmental Factor sent me their link.

Steve

Great to hear, There was an issue so I guess it has been settled as I haven't talked to my contact at Environmental Factor since September as that was our last order of last season. They are super people to deal with.

Andy

nozzlehead
01-12-2010, 07:09 AM
From what I'm finding out, here in Ohio anyways, I need to be licensed to use any liquid product. One of the local suppliers in my area said they aren't even allowed to sell it to someone without a license. However, I can use dry product without an issue. If anyone knows different for my area please correct me but thats what I'm being told.

swstout
01-12-2010, 06:07 PM
Great to hear, There was an issue so I guess it has been settled as I haven't talked to my contact at Environmental Factor since September as that was our last order of last season. They are super people to deal with.

Andy

You got me wonering so I checked my saved emails.

<TABLE class="border0_middle secContent" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" valign="top"><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 2px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 2px" vAlign=top>Inbox > Message Detail <INPUT style="WIDTH: 2px; VISIBILITY: hidden" type=checkbox name=thisIsHiddenToHelpWithAlignment> <FORM style="VISIBILITY: hidden" id=View_frm_actions_top name=View_frm_actions_top action=/view.php><INPUT id=view_met_top value=1 type=checkbox name=moveEntireThread>Entire thread </FORM></TD><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 3px"><NOBR>Print </NOBR>

</TD><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 1px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-TOP: 3px" width=200><NOBR>Previous Next </NOBR>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px" class="border0_middle secContent fixed" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; WIDTH: 100%; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="98%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=user_text_special vAlign=top width=70 align=right>Subject:</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 10px"><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=user_text_special noWrap>http://img1.wsimg.com/webmail/icon_paperclip.gif?v=11 (http://email.secureserver.net/webmail.php?folder=INBOX&firstMessage=1#attachments)</TD><TD class=user_text_special width="100%" align=left>Gluten-8</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=user_text_special vAlign=top width=70 align=right>From:</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 10px; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top" class=user_text_special><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=user_text_special>"Bill Skerrett" <bill@ictorganics.com (http://email.secureserver.net/webmail.php?folder=INBOX&firstMessage=1#)></TD><TD>(Add as Preferred Sender (http://email.secureserver.net/webmail.php?folder=INBOX&firstMessage=1#))</TD><TD>http://img4.wsimg.com/webmail/icon_question_blue.gif?v=undefined (http://email.secureserver.net/webmail.php?folder=INBOX&firstMessage=1#)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=user_text_special vAlign=top width=70 align=right>Date:</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 10px" class=user_text_special>Tue, Nov 24, 2009 10:37 am</TD></TR><TR><TD class=user_text_special vAlign=top width=70 align=right>To:</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 10px" class=user_text_special><steve@swstout.com (http://email.secureserver.net/webmail.php?folder=INBOX&firstMessage=1#)></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TABLE>

<SCRIPT language=javascript>Webmail.sortOrder = 7;</SCRIPT><TABLE id=index_header_table cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR id=index_header_row class="colHeading hand underline"><TD onclick="Utils.clickySound(); Form.checkAllMessages('tbl_mailindex', !Webmail.isAllChecked, 'check', 'mailindex'); Webmail.isAllChecked = !Webmail.isAllChecked; Webmail.changeMoveFolder(); return false;" width=16>http://img5.wsimg.com/webmail/retro/icon_checkmark.gif?v=11</TD><TD onclick="Utils.clickySound(); if (Layer.get('msg_per_page_top')) foldertree.setAttrib(Globals.ACTIVE_FOLDER,'msg_pe r_page',Layer.get('msg_per_page_top').value,'int') ; Webmail.ajaxIndex(null,null,{firstMessage:1,sortOr der:6}); foldertree.setSort('INBOX', Webmail.sortOrder=6 );" width="20%">http://img5.wsimg.com/webmail/icon_sort_asc.gif?v=11 From </TD><TD style="TEXT-DECORATION: none" onclick="Utils.clickySound(); if (Layer.get('msg_per_page_top')) foldertree.setAttrib(Globals.ACTIVE_FOLDER,'msg_pe r_page',Layer.get('msg_per_page_top').value,'int') ; Webmail.ajaxIndex(null,null,{firstMessage:1,sortOr der:3}); foldertree.setSort('INBOX', Webmail.sortOrder=3 );" width="60%">Subject (Thread Messages) </TD><TD onclick="Utils.clickySound(); if (Layer.get('msg_per_page_top')) foldertree.setAttrib(Globals.ACTIVE_FOLDER,'msg_pe r_page',Layer.get('msg_per_page_top').value,'int') ; Webmail.ajaxIndex(null,null,{firstMessage:1,sortOr der:0}); foldertree.setSort('INBOX', Webmail.sortOrder=0 );" width=120>Date </TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT-STYLE: none" id=size_column onclick="Utils.clickySound(); if (Layer.get('msg_per_page_top')) foldertree.setAttrib(Globals.ACTIVE_FOLDER,'msg_pe r_page',Layer.get('msg_per_page_top').value,'int') ; Webmail.ajaxIndex(null,null,{firstMessage:1,sortOr der:17}); foldertree.setSort('INBOX', Webmail.sortOrder=17 );" width=50 noWrap>Size </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!** end action_container **><TABLE style="BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px" class="border0_bottom_only wbgContent" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 10px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; PADDING-TOP: 10px" align=left><STYLE> #wmMessage /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Calibri; panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;} #wmMessage /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, #wmMessage li.MsoNormal, #wmMessage div.MsoNormal {margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";} #wmMessage a:link, #wmMessage span.MsoHyperlink {mso-style-priority:99; color:blue; text-decoration:underline;} #wmMessage a:visited, #wmMessage span.MsoHyperlinkFollowed {mso-style-priority:99; color:purple; text-decoration:underline;} #wmMessage span.EmailStyle17 {mso-style-type:personal-compose; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; color:windowtext;} #wmMessage .MsoChpDefault {mso-style-type:export-only;} #wmMessage @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;} #wmMessage div.Section1 {page:Section1;}</STYLE><O:p> </O:p>
Stephen wrote: Environmental Factor of Canada listed you as the US distributor of LiquiGold. I do not see it on your web site. Are yu the distributor and if so how can I purchase it. Steve<O:p></O:p>
<O:p> </O:p>
Steve,<O:p></O:p>
We call the product in the US Gluten-8, it is under our product page. We have a new option this year which is 55 gallon drums. I have attached our brochure on Gluten-8 and a general seasonal outline, the second page has application and mixing rates<O:p></O:p>
We begin production right after the first of the year, we do have spring pre order discounts for orders placed by the end of the month<O:p></O:p>
Please give me a call if you have any questions<O:p></O:p>
William R (Bill) Skerrett<O:p></O:p>
ICT Organics<O:p></O:p>
W: 410-997-5450<O:p></O:p>
C: 410-707-2794

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

picframer
01-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Spoke with the owner of the Canadian Company that holds the patents to this, here is their reply.

http://www.ictorganics.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/products.productDetail/productID/9/index.htm they currently the only legit US distributor. Anyone else is a copy cat and not endorsed or approved by us for now!

On 12-Jan-10, at 3:39 PM

Fresh Cut
01-31-2010, 09:53 PM
... forgot about me?

Steve, a hose end sprayer like this....

http://base0.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=http://www.buyhardwaresupplies.com/images/products/newJPGs/71/7124266.jpg&size=20&dhm=4cf78bbd&hl=en

What about people that don't have a hose or don't want me using their hose?

From what I read about Gluten-8, it has a 1:3 mix ratio (1 quart Gluten-8 to 3 quarts of water), how would I apply that with the hose end sprayer? If I put the mixed solution in the sprayer wouldn't it become more diluted spraying it with more water?

I'm looking to expand and I feel like this is something that I can do, I'm just trying to see how I can fit it in my budget as well as my setup.