PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Read

picframer
11-22-2009, 08:52 PM
I was researching something but came across this and was shocked at the numbers.

Earth-Friendly Gardening Is Gaining Ground

Americans applied nearly 133 million pounds of chemicals**that's about $2 billion worth of pesticides, herbicides, fungicides and fertilizers**to their home lawns and gardens in 1995, says the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Office of Pesticide Programs. Incredibly, however, that seemingly high number is more than 20 million pounds less than reported for 1979, the year the EPA first began tracking our chemical consumption. But this latest figure is no anomaly. In fact, lawn and garden chemical usage has been dropping steadily for the last two decades. The evidence is clear: While the American appetite for lawn and garden chemicals is still hearty, it's not what it used to be.

The reason for this change in habit? According to Organic Gardening Editor Nancy Beaubaire, it's personal. "People are concerned about their health" says Beaubaire. "They want to be in more control. And if you care about being in control of your environment, where better to start than in your own yard?"

The army of ecologically-sensitive companies that have emerged to meet consumers' demands for nonchemical lawn and garden products couldn't agree with Beaubaire more. Eric Vinje, who owns and operates Planet Natural in Bozeman, Montana, says consumers are no longer in the dark when it comes to the harmful environmental and health effects of chemical applications. "You can't pick up a paper without reading something about pesticides," says Vinje. "It's a big concern out there. More and more people are becoming aware of that."

Steve
11-22-2009, 10:45 PM
That is very interesting! It also shows the importance of tracking such information. If it wasn't for the epa doing that, we would never have known such consumption was down.

picframer
11-23-2009, 04:23 AM
That is very interesting! It also shows the importance of tracking such information. If it wasn't for the epa doing that, we would never have known such consumption was down.

Yes, also being in this business it lets one know the opportunity that is out there, Organic spraying was a very big money maker for us this year.

Steve
11-23-2009, 12:31 PM
I hope others are paying attention to this and consider to offer such services in the future.

lawncrafter56
11-23-2009, 05:50 PM
I would appreciate any information regarding upcoming conventions this winter that I might attend to learn more on the application of these organic lawn care products! thanks, Wolfy

picframer
11-24-2009, 05:31 AM
I would appreciate any information regarding upcoming conventions this winter that I might attend to learn more on the application of these organic lawn care products! thanks, Wolfy

Wolfy, Personally based on my experience conventions are quite often a sales pitch to buy a specific product, you have the worlds largest library at your fingertips including these forums. I researched this to death back in January February, then called the manufacturer, then their clients (people like you and I) and even some of their clients, I settled on Natures Lawn Care for 95% of the sprays we use, I buy Liquid Gold Corn Gluten from Environemental Factor as it's made here in Canada.