PDA

View Full Version : Website and marketing review, comments please...

skennard
11-19-2009, 05:00 AM
Hi all as it's been a bit quiet here in the UK, thought I'd have a go a updating my website and preparing for the new season ahead.

I've tried to keep it simple and basically the site "does what it says on the tin" so to speak. I was thinking about adding a feedback section or guest book kind of thing so customers, visitors could add comments or discussion on my work etc.

I'm also about to send Christmas cards and a fridge magnet calendar out to customers and just a card to people who I quoted for but didn't get the business. The inside of the cards mention to visit the site for a discount, I've done 10% off so any feedback on this aspect of promotion would be good. Is 10% too much to give off and is the promotion too long date wise i.e. ends 31/3/10.

Below is my web site link and the Christmas cards and calendar are attached.

www.StevesGardenServices.biz (http://stevesgardenservices.biz)

I look forward to hearing your views.
Regards
Steve

Steve
11-19-2009, 09:44 AM
That is a great idea! Have you ever experimented before with sending out Christmas cards like this along with magnets?

Where did you come up with the idea?

skennard
11-20-2009, 05:03 AM
I got the Fridge magnet idea from visiting homes of customers and members of my family who happen to have fridge magnets from traveling or visits to places as some people like collecting them.

As a result of this I thought what an ideal opportunity for promotion as I figure lots of people like to have a calendar of some sort around the house, so why not a fridge magnet! After all people are always going to the fridge or need to check the calendar for a date so every time this happens they're gonna see my advert and are more likely to give me a call first when their garden gets out of control.

I believe it's known as TOMA (top of mind awareness) here's what Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brand_awareness) say about it. If you see a brand or advert enough times your subconscious stores the information even if you are not looking for that product or service at the time you are somehow familiar when you do require it.

This is another reason why I went for a 12 month advert in the local community magazines; as people read the magazine they will see the adverts and if you are there month in and month out people are more likely to see and remember it more than the advert that appears once....

As for Christmas cards it is method of thanking the customer either for their business for the past year or raising the awareness of those who didn't give you the job this season.

I also sent them out before December as you're like to be the first Christmas card they get this year and won't get lost amongst all the other ones that land on the doormat for Christmas in December here in the UK or thanksgiving as you have in the States.

I designed and ordered the cards and fridge magnets from Vistaprint as they are offering some good deals on cards and magnets at the moment; anyway, I'll let you know how it goes...

Steve
11-20-2009, 12:40 PM
This is another reason why I went for a 12 month advert in the local community magazines; as people read the magazine they will see the adverts and if you are there month in and month out people are more likely to see and remember it more than the advert that appears once....

Do you keep track of where your customers initially heard of you from when they call you? Have you seen if the magazine ad brought in enough callers to cover the costs of the ad?

skennard
11-21-2009, 06:25 AM
Do you keep track of where your customers initially heard of you from when they call you? Have you seen if the magazine ad brought in enough callers to cover the costs of the ad?

Yes I do try to keep a track of where my referrals come from but inevitable I sometimes forget. From a quick review of my clients and where they got my details from I'd say that most have come from Google Adwords, 2nd would be the advert I placed in the community magazines, third is dropping my business card flyer through peoples letterboxes and finally word of mouth at the current time.
It would probably be fair to say that I haven't covered the costs of my magazine advert yet but am well on my way to achieve this. My ad runs until May so expect to pick up new business when people start getting interested in the garden once we have winter out of the way!

Steve
11-21-2009, 10:08 AM
I've done 10% off so any feedback on this aspect of promotion would be good. Is 10% too much to give off and is the promotion too long date wise i.e. ends 31/3/10.

It will also be interesting to see if the 10% off discount entices the customers to call you up and start signing up for more services.