PDA

View Full Version : Antifreeze: Orange / Yellow / Green

StartALawnCareBusiness
11-16-2009, 04:14 PM
I know there are some other guys with Ford Rangers on this board. Could you clear up some confusion (or maybe make me even more confused)? :rolleyes:

I have a Ford Ranger. The sticker close to the radiator says Green Antifreeze is okay but Orange Antifreeze is bad.

Can anyone here definately tell me if Yellow antifreeze is okay to use?

Keith

picframer
11-16-2009, 04:53 PM
Sorry to not be of much help, everything I own has Green Anti freeze including the Ford Rangers, if it's still under warranty, stick to green, if it's not I honestly have never seen yellow but if it meets the temps in your area go for it.

StartALawnCareBusiness
11-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Thanks Andy.

Antifreeze seems to be more confusing than I realized.

Here's a good article:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3828/is_200408/ai_n9453107/?tag=content;col1

jasonw
11-16-2009, 09:21 PM
I always thought Yellow antifreeze was just a joke to play on drinking buddy's when you drank to much beer on Friday night?

akessinger84
11-16-2009, 10:15 PM
You should stick to the type of coolant your vehicle states that it needs, the different types of antifreeze are for different vehicles, your "green antifreeze is for older cars with the cast iron engine blocks where the orange is for aluminum engine blocks. I'm not sure but I think the yellow antifreeze is a universal coolant. The best thing to do is to read the label on the yellow antifreeze and if your still un clear ask a clerk an the parts store.

picframer
11-17-2009, 04:38 AM
Keith, I was curious so I went around yesterday and checked.

All the Fords I have are Green, 2006, 2008 & 2009

The 2010 Jetta is pink, it is a diesel.

The two excavators are Pink.

I have three tractors home, the two that are diesel is pink, the gas garden tractor is green.

As mentioned just check the specs, I don't know that I have ever seen yellow but I don't service my equipment while under warranty other than grease which is almost daily on some equipment, especially the loaders.

Steve
11-17-2009, 11:52 AM
Are they saying if you look in and see anti-freeze that is orange it's bad, meaning there is too much rust in the anti-freeze, giving it an orange look maybe?

picframer
11-17-2009, 09:00 PM
Are they saying if you look in and see anti-freeze that is orange it's bad, meaning there is too much rust in the anti-freeze, giving it an orange look maybe?

No, what I am saying is there are different colors that are intended for certain engines....that is the basis and extent of my knowledge in this area.

Steve
11-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Here check this out. Article in Popular Mechanics read on... (http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_to_central/automotive/1272436.html)

Antifreeze itself (most commonly a chemical called ethylene glycol) doesn't wear out–ever–but the key ingredients are the rust and corrosion inhibitors, and they get used up. The most common inh ibitors, silicates for aluminum protection, are used up faster than others. That's why some new cars (all General Motors, Mercury Cougar, VW/Audi models) have red or orange antifreeze with a new class of inhibitors, called organic acids.

StartALawnCareBusiness
11-18-2009, 12:13 AM
Steve, that is what I uncovered too. The color is mainly to differentiate between different types of rust inhibitors as well as a difference between ethylene glycol and propylene glycol.

Certain coolants will cause an electrolysis on aluminum engines. And you should never mix coolants unless you are adding a universal coolant to an existing coolant.

It is funny I am just learning all this now. My first Ford Ranger was a 1993. I drove it forever but I had constant problems with freeze plugs rusting out, a leaky water pump, and a leak in my heater causing the cab to smell like antifreeze. I bought the truck used and I wasn't up on the differences in antifreeze back then. I almost bet my problems were caused by the previous owner neglecting or putting in the wrong coolant.

Steve
11-18-2009, 04:35 PM
I had constant problems with freeze plugs rusting out,

What were your plugs made of? Most of the ones I have seen are made of a plastic.

rawssrob
11-18-2009, 10:06 PM
when you say yellow you prolly mean the gold antifreeze. the gold is a universal that works with either. what ever you do dont ever mix green with orange. it will turn into a mud like substance. I run the gold in all of my vehicles.