PDA

View Full Version : just starting

Mower Man
11-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Hello,
I'm just getting started. I'm retiring on June 1, 2010 after 25 1/2 years in the Military. I new a few people in the business and they have really helped me. I go on terminal leave in March...just in time to start mowing here in kansas. I was a recruiter for 9 years and a computer geek for 11 years. Time management, reliability, and being well organized is the key to any business. My wife and I owned our own dog kennel business ( took over from my dad after my mom passed) but we turned it back over to my dad after he remarried. We were successfull by using time management and using our organizational skills. I have already cold called 25 apartment complexes...will be able to put in 3 bids...and numerous other local businesses. I already have 10 residential customers that I know from work. I have a lot of more work to do just to get established.
I have been reading this forum and have learned a lot.

Thanks!
Mower Man

greybeard_xlx
11-16-2009, 10:37 PM
Sup Mower man, i also plan to retire next summer. and like you I plan to hit the ground running in this new enterprise, Good luck to both of us. I didn't know they had grass in OK LOL ;)

justin_time
11-16-2009, 10:53 PM
Hello,
...just in time to start mowing here in kansas.

Always Just in Time for mowing ;)

Welcome to the forum :)

arthur712
11-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Welcome aboard!

I want to retire, but I would have to sleep on a bench the rest of my life. LOL

Welcome to the forum!

Steve
11-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Welcome to our forum!

owned our own dog kennel business

What did you think of that experience of running the dog kennel business?

What did you like or dislike about it?

Mower Man
11-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Sup Mower man, i also plan to retire next summer. and like you I plan to hit the ground running in this new enterprise, Good luck to both of us. I didn't know they had grass in OK LOL ;)

Thank you, and yes, good luck to you too. Bet OK grass is sparce, glad I'm in KS LOL. Was born in OK though. Lucky I don't remember it much.

Mower Man
11-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Welcome to our forum!

What did you think of that experience of running the dog kennel business?

What did you like or dislike about it?

If your a dog lover (which I am) you'd love it. A fun job. The only thing I can say that I didn't like about it was it tied us down badly. Seems that you have to be there 24 - 7 when you are tending live things LOL
It was very hard to get away. Everything else was wonderful.

Steve
11-18-2009, 05:33 PM
Do you feel anything about running that business had helped prepare you for your new business?