PDA

View Full Version : Hello All

JWFAILS
11-16-2009, 09:50 AM
I am new to this forum. I have been in the commercial/residential fertilization and weed control business for 3 years now and would like to start doing maintenance. I found this site while looking for sample forms and contracts. I already have a couple of opportunities to bid on some commercial accounts due to my other business.

Steve
11-16-2009, 10:56 AM
Welcome to our forum!

How have you liked the commercial/residential fertilization and weed control business? Any thoughts as to why you got into that first over lawn maintenance?

arthur712
11-16-2009, 02:07 PM
Welcome to the forum!

JWFAILS
11-17-2009, 09:57 AM
I was unsure which way to go when I started, either maintenance or fertilization so I went with a franchise business that specialized in fertilization and weed control. I thought it would give me a better chance at surviving. Now I would like to offer a total care package. Basically a one stop shop.

arthur712
11-17-2009, 10:15 AM
I was unsure which way to go when I started, either maintenance or fertilization so I went with a franchise business that specialized in fertilization and weed control. I thought it would give me a better chance at surviving. Now I would like to offer a total care package. Basically a one stop shop.

I have noticed that a franchise will last longer in business!

JWFAILS
11-17-2009, 10:21 AM
Yes, Franchises are better able to survive, however, they come with alot of restrictions and fees. Probably would have done it different now, hind sight.

arthur712
11-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Yes, Franchises are better able to survive, however, they come with alot of restrictions and fees. Probably would have done it different now, hind sight.

I am sure as you get going., you will find tricks around the fees.

Good Luck!

Steve
11-17-2009, 12:39 PM

This is fantastic! I bet it really opened your eyes to a lot of things!

What did you like about the franchise concept and what didn't you like about it?

I know there are readers that consider this path. What suggestions would you have for them before they signed up for such a franchise?

JWFAILS
11-17-2009, 02:04 PM
I like the fact that they have a proven business plan and a road map of how to get where you want to be. They already have business partnerships with other companies that help you do your marketing, insurance, licenses, software, etc. However, it is at a cost. Nothing is free. With franchising you get help to start a business but sometimes it feels like big brother is always watching over your shoulder. You do not have the freedom to offer services that are not approved by the parent company. I am trying to work around that by starting another business seperate from my franchise.

Steve
11-17-2009, 02:50 PM
With this new business, what skills do you feel you will be able to bring over from your other business?

Are there concepts or ideas that stand out that you feel you can now implement one better when you create it from scratch yourself?

JWFAILS
11-17-2009, 03:54 PM
I have learned that residential customers seem to prefer one provider for services. I think they like to limit the number of service personel on there property. Therefore, I want to offer a one stop shop to include mowing, fertilization, disease control, insect control, top dressing, aerating, etc. The best skill that I have picked up from my other business is the ability to diagnose lawn problems and be able to offer solutions. I am licensed for herbicides, insecticides and fertilizer. I go to turf clinics and do online classes to stay up to date on the latest chemicals and turf practices etc. I offer soil testing as well as turf testing for funguses and other diseases. By offering all theses services I think I can maximize my revenue per customer, thereby, reducing the time and money spent on constantly trying to add new customers.

Steve
11-17-2009, 03:59 PM
The best skill that I have picked up from my other business is the ability to diagnose lawn problems and be able to offer solutions.

That is very important to know!

Going through the franchise experience, would you ever want to create your own franchise? Is that something you ever considered? What's your view on that?