PDA

View Full Version : Glad I don't live in California....

SuperiorPower
11-15-2009, 10:28 PM
I keep seeing these stickers and warnings signs that say "contact with lead is known to the State of California to cause blah, blah, blah".

Or like this one on an Echo owners manual: "The engine exhaust from this product contains chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm". So the first thing that comes to my mind is, glad I don't live in California..... ROFL!

BladeRunnerLC04
11-16-2009, 07:10 AM
So what they are saying is that I shouldn't hold the trimmer exhaust in front of my face and breath in........check!!

Steve
11-16-2009, 10:51 AM
Why is that though?

If something is dangerous, how can it only be dangerous in one state and not others? Should these warnings be applied nationwide or should each state pick and choose what they should warn users about?

Can you imagine if more states were as progressive as California? We'd have stickers everywhere!

http://www.lilviv.com/entertainment/images/chainsaw.jpg

SuperiorPower
11-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Yea, california is crazy. Plain nuts!

justin_time
11-16-2009, 08:52 PM
I've also noticed that too. When you go buy a new mower for example, it also ask you if you live in California that you need a special kit to adapt to California for your mower

SuperiorPower
11-16-2009, 10:09 PM
I know in reality it is simply that California has decided that certain things can not be sold there or have to be restricted if they are sold there. But..... Here (http://www.kawpowr.com/pp/category.aspx?id=6) is a good example of why California is a pain.... Why do they have to be such a pain? I mean, they are not any greener than the rest of us.

Think about the whole Toyota thing. The Prius is the "greenest" vehicle out there but its the dirtiest vehicle to manufacture. So in my opinion, if you drive a vehicle that is so dirty to manufacture, then you are as dirty as the factory that makes it. You are as dirty as the dirtiest link in the chain. Am I wrong? Because if it were not that you wanted that car, then they would not have had to be "dirty" in their manufacturing.... Just a thought...

SuperiorPower
11-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Oh, and Steve, I love the picture! Its priceless!

Steve
11-17-2009, 11:45 AM
From the site you posted.

Models
String Trimmers
KTF27A KBL27B KGT35A
KGT27B KBL27BC KBL35A
California String Trimmers
KTF27AC KBL27BC KBL35A
KGT26AC KGT35A

Look at all the models that are for California only! My gosh!

SuperiorPower
11-17-2009, 05:10 PM
Yeeh, you are right. Think about all the extra work that these manufacturers have to do to get all this done. For what? Just to be "permitted" to sell equipment in California. I am just amazed at the extra hassle that this causes and yet manufacturers comply and don't really fight it. I still say, shove California off into the Pacific ocean.... lol

Little's
11-19-2009, 01:00 AM
Please dont shove us off into the ocean. Yes cancer stickers are annoying, and at first they bugged the hell out of me, but after many years of them, I am not bothered at all. In fact everything that causes cancer has a sticker on it here. You would be floored and completely shocked if you actually knew all the things that cause it (trust me you dont know half of them, and I do, thanks to the stickers).

But seriously, the stickers really do remind you every time you are handling a product or material, etc to be a little more careful when you do. Look around, how many people do you know have, or have had, or died from cancer. The warnings arent such a bad thing.

As for the smog equipment on mowers etc, I havent noticed a thing. It may be on there, but performs as expected, so I dont see the issue. The total population here in CA says that we should do our best to minimize our air pollution. But, I live in the FAR, FAR Northern CA. (Think mountains, deer and elk hunting, huge lakes, snow, you get the idea). But Ive been to L.A. many times and the air is sickening, so if you had ever been there, you would agree about the air pollution here needing to be regulated.

But, call me a hypocrite if you want, I drive a Suburban. Its 4 wheel drive (I told you about the deer and elk hunting, right? Oh yea I also have 3 kids) And I see all the people driving around in their little Prius cars and Mini Poopers, and I chuckle at them and how they are saving the world (in their minds anyway). Im not a liberal, but I do think that our conditions over here warrant a little air control. I dunno

Just my 2 cents.