PDA

View Full Version : Hi From Winston Salem NC

greybeard_xlx
11-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Hi Yall. I'm a total newbie to the Lawncare business. I Work for a DJIA Company, but hate my job, I plan to take early retirement this year and work till retirement age in the green Industry.

If anyone in this area can give me some pointers on what the "average" is for job estimates average I would really appreciate it. Would love to talk with anyone in this area..

I hope to hit the ground running in June when I retire, but this spring will be focused on fitting out my equipment, getting insurance/license, and advertising to try to build up a base for summer.. My services will be mostly Trim/Mow/blow, but I also plan to offer spring clean up, pre summer feed/weed/ and fall leaf removal and lawn care. (Plug/fertilize/over seeding). Look forward to meeting some of you!!

Steve
11-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Hi,

Welcome to our forum!

What is a DJIA company ? :)

Have you experimented yet with the online lawn business calculators?
http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?p=43299#post43299

They will help you get an idea of what your overhead is and how much you will need to charge. There are also a bunch of different jobs in the job estimate section here
http://www.gopherforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38

You can read through them and get an idea of what others are charging for different kinds of jobs.

What made you decide to start your own lawn care business? Did you ever get a chance to run any other business in the past?

arthur712
11-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Welcome to the forum!

greybeard_xlx
11-17-2009, 06:05 AM
Hi Artie, Steve

Just think of it as a Large company, A DJIA co is one that makes up part of the DOW JONES INDUSTRIAL AVERAGE.

By the way, My Co Name is "A Better Lawn"

arthur712
11-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Hi Artie, Steve

Just think of it as a Large company, A DJIA co is one that makes up part of the DOW JONES INDUSTRIAL AVERAGE.

Great Company Name!

We hope to see you around the forum, we love having new members and learning from them.

Thanks!

Steve
11-17-2009, 12:01 PM

Great name!

LOL ok that makes sense. I didn't think of that. There are so many acronyms out there it's difficult to know them all.

How do you feel going through the experience you did with the company you worked for has prepared you for running your own business?

greybeard_xlx
11-17-2009, 09:24 PM
well, I spend 8 hours a day talking to pissed off people, If anything, it has taught me patience and customer service skills. I can Kiss *** with the best of them. Running a business, not much. But if I kiss *** in my new endeavor, it will be because I screwed up, not someone else.. And if I screw it up, I know I can fix that. Not the case where I work. As my own boss. I will be responsible for what I do, not what someone else does or in a lot of cased DOES'NT do..

Steve
11-18-2009, 04:28 PM
Do you have any advice for others reading this that work for a company and dream of starting their own business? How best should they make the jump to do it?

greybeard_xlx
11-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Do you have any advice for others reading this that work for a company and dream of starting their own business? How best should they make the jump to do it?

Well, it depends on their situation. for me, I have a little money squirreled away so i plan to start distributing cards in Jan, will be doing bulk mailings to my target zip codes in march/april. and am already talking things up with everyone I meet. I already have a request for an estimate and I don't even have my trailer yet (I have one bought off Craigslist. Just waiting for the title to come in so we can transfer ownership. Got it for a great price as well. 5.5'X12' for under $1K. Craigslist is a great place to pick up the odd trimmer or blower and in this case a trailer. :D May seem big for a single ZTR mower, but it will also give me room to grow..)

Best advice I can give anyone is stay focused, Believe in yourself, plan your work, and work your plan!!

Steve
11-21-2009, 09:53 AM
Keep us posted as things progress!