PDA

View Full Version : Greetings, LCOs!

Chilehead
11-15-2009, 01:54 PM
I have had my own company since 2002, and look forward to learning from many fellow members as well as sharing my knowledge. :D

Steve
11-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Welcome to our forum!

Being in business since 2002 you must have gone through a lot so far.

What kind of advice do you have for the newer business owners just getting started? Are there any pitfalls you feel they should be wary of?

SuperiorPower
11-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Welcome to Gopher Forum! Glad to see you here!

Chilehead
11-16-2009, 08:29 AM
Welcome to our forum!

Being in business since 2002 you must have gone through a lot so far.

What kind of advice do you have for the newer business owners just getting started? Are there any pitfalls you feel they should be wary of?

Every business owner must be aware of their response rates. In my experience, door-to-door sales, where you see the potential client in person yields the best results. Yellow page ads yield the worst. Newspapers work if you time your ad right (dependent on the service). Door hangers can be effective if the ad is for what seasonally needs done right now or in the immediate future. I have not tried radio or television advertising.

Steve
11-16-2009, 10:55 AM
Very interesting!

Do you also have a view on why so many new start up lawn care businesses fail? Can you see them coming a mile a way and know they are headed for disaster? If so, what should they be doing to avoid that?

Chilehead
11-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Very interesting!

Do you also have a view on why so many new start up lawn care businesses fail? Can you see them coming a mile a way and know they are headed for disaster? If so, what should they be doing to avoid that?

I think one of the top reasons for failure is a lack of professionalism and knowledge. I have my Class 24 (pesticide license), but many in GA do not. Many of my new customers will be those who hired a non-licensed individual who messed up their yard. Sadly, the authorities RARELY enforce one having a license.
In terms of professionalism, this goes way beyond a slick marketing image. Marketing images can be purchased, but professional practices must be cultivated. That's today's golden nugget. If you want more, PM me. I should be charging fees for this kind of info! Something just doesn't sit right inside me, for me to share what I know will result in 97% customer retention or better and what will keep new clients rolling in with no upfront costs. Not trying to be mean or anything, it's just that I know what works and very, very few other LCOs are doing what I'm doing. Cheers. :D

Steve
11-17-2009, 11:59 AM
I know will result in 97% customer retention or better

How important do you feel it is to use a lawn care contract that renews every year versus mowing and getting paid as you go? Do you feel that having a self renewing contract is important to improve customer retention or does that have very little to do with it?