PDA

View Full Version : Pressure Washing Concrete

winkie61
11-15-2009, 07:14 AM
Pressure Washing Concrete: I'm adding pressure washing driveways to my service. Can anyone tell me what too charge per Sq Ft? I'm also purchasing a mechanical concrete cleaner. I imagine it will take between 1-2 hrs. Please help!!!!

majoe7
11-15-2009, 01:21 PM
Winkie,

I am located in Central Florida and I offer Pressure Washing to my clients. You can offer many services when you have a pressure washer. I offer Driveway and Sidewalk, Whole House (from grass to soffett), Pool Area / Screen Enclosure and Patios (Wood or Concrete)

A great tool that helps out a lot when doing the driveway is a buffing machine. It cuts down on the time and makes the job so much easier. If you use chlorine to help clean the area, buy it from a pool supply store in the 2.5 gallon container. Dilute it with water when you add it to your sprayer to pre-treat the area you are about to clean.

The costs I charge are as followed;

1. Driveway / Sidewalk .10 per sq. foot (Avg. size DW 12’ x 100’ SW 4’ x 50’ )
Generally most of the jobs I do are about the same size. I don’t
measure all the time and charge $150 per job.

2. Whole House $150 - $200 per house (grass to soffit) Avg. house 2000 – 3000 sq. ft.

3. Pool Area / Screen Enclosure depending on size $75 pool area $150 pool &
enclosure. If there is mildew on the aluminum enclosure and requires
scrubbing and getting on a latter, then I add $50- $75 more to the cost.

4. Patios / Decks Concrete or Wood 10’x 50’ size $50 - $75

I hope this helps you out. My prices may be high or too low but it works and I make a good profit for the amount of time I spend doing these jobs.

John

Steve
11-15-2009, 01:45 PM
A great tool that helps out a lot when doing the driveway is a buffing machine

What is that and how does it help?

majoe7
11-15-2009, 08:55 PM
What is that and how does it help?

If you have worked indoors and had to reseal a hardwood floor then you used a stripper/buffing machine. Maybe you used it to clean a tile floor. It has a pad you put on the bottom made of fine or course material. It just attaches to the bottom of the machine. One thing is that you need to have an entire area soaked with water and it does make some mess. It speeds up the process and beats using a wand spray handle.

My good friend who has a Pressure Washing Business turned me onto this Mosmatic Flat Surface Cleaner. He demo'd it for me and has allowed me to use it on several occasions. It is fast and real easy to operate. He has the 3rd model show in the video. It is light weight and easy to handle and gets the job done in no time. It cost him about $500 and after two jobs he said it paid for itself in time and labor. He used to just use the wand sprayer with cleaning chemicals and he said after using this machine he will never do that again.

Here is a link to the site if you are interested.

http://pressurewashequipment.com/Flat_Surface_Cleaning_Equipment.html

John

Steve
11-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Oh very interesting! I guess it would mainly be used for outdoor tile cleaning jobs? Maybe even the bottom of pools? Or can this be used on concrete and asphalt as well?

I just saw a video (http://www.mosmatic.com/cms2/fileadmin/user_upload/usa/service/downloads/media/movie/surfacecleaner/surface-cleaner-high-quality-usa.wmv) on that link you provided. That is a fascinating tool!

http://pressurewashequipment.com/Flat_Surface_Cleaning_Equipment/IMAG001.GIF

Daniel H
12-03-2009, 09:30 AM
here is my concrete cleaner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K6ZLbzydC4

The Cleaning Doctor
12-03-2009, 03:11 PM
That is what is known as a surface cleaner and yes you can use it on any hard flat surface. You just need to know your machine and the surface being cleaned and adjust accordingly. DO NOT use this on wood unless you want to do a lot of sanding. Asphalt is softer than concrete so it requires less pressure. Like I said you need to know what you are cleaning and your machines pressures.

Steve
12-03-2009, 04:29 PM
What makes the surface cleaner do a better job than having the regular power washer sprayer simply spraying on a sidewalk or a driveway?

SuperiorPower
12-03-2009, 06:44 PM
here is my concrete cleaner
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K6ZLbzydC4

Watching that video I get the feeling that if you are cleaning a sidewalk or driveway with that would take about 1 hour with that cleaner, would take at least 4-5 hours to clean with a regular tip. Is that about right? I had never seen one of those cleaners work and I have to say I am beyond impressed. I can see that machine would pay for itself easily within a week....

The Cleaning Doctor
12-03-2009, 08:04 PM
Multiple spray nozzles that rotate the way they do under the shroud cleans faster than you can with a wand. If you looked at the video it took 1 minute and 40 seconds to clean that sidewalk. 15 to 30 minutes with a wand. With the surface cleaner you can clean an average sized driveway in under 30 minutes. After you clean all you do is rinse the water off the surface and you are done. That is unless you have a recovery system that negates the need to rinse because it picks up all the dirty water. It is kind of like a mower blade with a spray nozzle at each end of the blade spinning at a high rate of speed.

For those that are considering adding pressure washing you should attend one of the numerous round tables and see a demo of the equipment available.

Daniel H
12-03-2009, 08:32 PM
Watching that video I get the feeling that if you are cleaning a sidewalk or driveway with that would take about 1 hour with that cleaner, would take at least 4-5 hours to clean with a regular tip. Is that about right? I had never seen one of those cleaners work and I have to say I am beyond impressed. I can see that machine would pay for itself easily within a week....
Surface cleaners cuts your cleaning time in 1/2! for example last week I cleaned a strip mall, it had 18,000 sq ft of concrete I used one surface cleaner and had a man rinsing behind me and removing the gum it took about 5 1/2 hours... to me that's moving on! on this job it equaled out to be just over $200 an hour

Steve
12-03-2009, 10:00 PM
That is very interesting!

Are there other pressure washing tools that should be utilized to cut down on time spent at job sites?

The Cleaning Doctor
12-03-2009, 10:09 PM
Higher GPM machines clean faster

Hot water cleans faster

Proper cleaning agents help

There are so many tools that are available. How about a ride on surface cleaner? Now those are cool and you can clean a lot of concrete with them and fast.

Daniel H
12-03-2009, 10:24 PM
Pat, I agree.... But I am not sold the higher gpm though, I think 4.5-6 gpm is plenty, but opinions are like belly buttons everyone has one...
I think if some one was going to buy anything higher than a 6 gpm there are to things they must consider 1. will I be recovering ever the water? 2. will I be hauling water to the job sites if no water us available? if they answer yes to either then I would stay away from the the higher gpm machine

Steve
12-03-2009, 10:28 PM
How often do you feel you need to haul water to a job site? Is this something that comes up often or is it better to just pass on such jobs and go with ones where you can gain access to water onsite?

SuperiorPower
12-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Hauling water to the job is an interesting problem I would think. I mean, for most people that would probably entail buying and storing a large tank that you could load into the back of your truck or trailer. Right?

I think you would have to charge pretty hard for this since you have a considerably higher cost of doing business. For example, if you needed to 1000 gallons for a job that you had to bring your own water on then you would have to load the tank (assuming you already own it), tank the time to fill the tank, use extra time and fuel to get there since you have a heavier load, and then once you are done, if you have extra water in the tank you would have to either use it on the next job or drain it out, unload the tank or park the trailer, etc....

Now another question that just hit me is this, do you need to use a de-chlorinator for the water to help it do a better job? If so, you need to figure your expense in as well and figure in your time to mix it in.... I am wondering though, how would you add that if you are using water from the customers hose?

Are there any other cleaning agents/products that are needed or recommended?

robgee05
06-26-2010, 07:51 PM
Multiple spray nozzles that rotate the way they do under the shroud cleans faster than you can with a wand. If you looked at the video it took 1 minute and 40 seconds to clean that sidewalk. 15 to 30 minutes with a wand. With the surface cleaner you can clean an average sized driveway in under 30 minutes. After you clean all you do is rinse the water off the surface and you are done. That is unless you have a recovery system that negates the need to rinse because it picks up all the dirty water. It is kind of like a mower blade with a spray nozzle at each end of the blade spinning at a high rate of speed.

For those that are considering adding pressure washing you should attend one of the numerous round tables and see a demo of the equipment available.

Hey Pat what kind of surface cleaner do you recommend?