PDA

View Full Version : When do commercial accounts start taking bids in TN.

dmcland04
11-14-2009, 08:33 AM
I have a business in CT that I am selling. I am planning on moving to TN to start a new business. I will be moving south of Nashville.

I have flexibility as to when I leave CT to move to TN. I want to be in TN to put bids on commercial properties. I have never put bids on commercial properties before because I don't want to plow.

So my question is, when do commercial accounts typically take bids in TN?

StartALawnCareBusiness
11-14-2009, 10:45 AM
I am 90 minutes south of Nashville.

Nashville is generally a few degrees cooler than us. Our weather today is sunny and 75 so you can imagine that grass cutting is tapering off but can continue into December and start up again by early March. I've even seen warm winters when I've been cutting wild garlic sprouts in customer's yards in mid-January.

Our nebulous winters lend to erratic mowing contract schedules. Quite honestly, contract bid acceptances are all over the calendar down here.

Many contracts are let out for bid in January with March 1 as the first mowing date.

Some contracts are March through October with free-lance work done the other 4 months. Bids are accept into February.

The U.S. government's fiscal year begins October 1. So, agency contracts are often let out for bid in August or September.

If you are timing your move, I would advise moving sooner rather than later. December is generally slow but it's a good time to get your name in front of the people who will be making the buying decisions in a month or two.

Good luck:

Keith
Lawn Care Business Guidebook (http://www.StartALawnCareBusiness.com)

Steve
11-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Have you compared the demographics of where you are moving to where you are currently living? Is it a similar group, economically speaking or how does it compare?

dmcland04
11-14-2009, 02:04 PM
Thanks Keith. That is VERY helpful info! :)

Steve: I live in an area that has money. There are a good number of people that have a lawn service. So there is plenty of work to go around.

The area that I am moving to is very diverse. From the very wealthy who have someone come in to do everything from lawn care to butt wiping. Lol.

To the people who are just scraping by, and don't even have enough to buy the materials for a do-it-yourself project.

There are of course a lot of inbetweeners as well. Similar to the people that I currently serve.

Steve
11-15-2009, 01:04 PM
What is the next step in your plan?