PDA

View Full Version : Proper Care of the Centipede Lawn

swstout
11-11-2009, 06:02 PM
A Centipede lawn is not your typical lawn! Proper care and requirements are much different from that of other warm season grasses such as Bermuda, St. Augustine, Zoysia, and Bahia. Following maintenance procedures for those grasses will harm and even kill Centipede grass.

With the help of Steve, I have written and published a book on organic, natural lawn care for the Centipede lawn. If you care for lawns from the Carolina's south to Florida and east to Texas, you probably care for Centipede.

This book covers natural:

Weed Control
Insect Control
Soil Fertility
Irrigation
Lawn Repair
Centipede Diseases
Centipede Decline
Much More 
https://www.createspace.com/3407133 (https://www.createspace.com/3407133)

Steve

swstout
11-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Should be West to Texas. My other left!

Steve
11-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Steve,

I am so excited about this!

Have you been looking into other ways of promoting your book locally too? This will help two fold. First it will help you sell books and secondly it will help you build awareness of your business and position you as an expert in the field!

swstout
11-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Steve,

I am so excited about this!

Have you been looking into other ways of promoting your book locally too? This will help two fold. First it will help you sell books and secondly it will help you build awareness of your business and position you as an expert in the field!

I have it on CreatSpace, Amazon, and Kindle. I will have it on the Community Web site (Comes out every Sunday). Our local paper is only published once a week (and seems interested only in selling advertisements).

I am developing another web site just for organic products and literature and will blog it.

Working now on a companion book for St. Augustine Turf. I am enjoying writing. I guess it was a good thing having a ruptured appendix. I wrote the Centipede book just for something to do so I wouldn't go stir crazy.

Researching marketing now.

Steve

Steve
11-13-2009, 09:43 AM
Did you ever consider writing a book on your experiences in Vietnam?

SuperiorPower
11-13-2009, 05:02 PM
Steve I am so excited for you! I have thought about writing a book about maintenance, etc. I was thinking more down the line of e-books tho to cut on the initial expenses.

Have you thought about selling a digital version for download, say at your website? Just curious. There may be more to it than I am aware.....

But Congrats on the book!

swstout
11-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Steve I am so excited for you! I have thought about writing a book about maintenance, etc. I was thinking more down the line of e-books tho to cut on the initial expenses.

Have you thought about selling a digital version for download, say at your website? Just curious. There may be more to it than I am aware.....

But Congrats on the book!

Publishing a book is not at all expensive. CreatSpace has what you need to publish and the cost is minimal. If you want to go Pro, it's $39.95. You write the book (I wrote it in Word and then copied and pasted it into their program). I chose the 9 x 6 size. When You are finished, you save it in PDF, send it in for checking. If it passes their criteria, you can order a proof. My proof cost $6.95.

You can sell it through your site, on Amazon, on CreatSpace, and electronically on Kindle.

CreatSpace gets the printing cost plus 20% of the selling price. Amazon the printing cost plus 40% of the selling price. Kindle pays you 35% of the selling price. You pay up front only on copies you want to sell. Printing cost only. For me It would be $6.95.

There is a bit of learning curve for the program, but not too frustrating.

https://www.createspace.com/ (https://www.createspace.com/)

Steve

SuperiorPower
11-13-2009, 08:32 PM
Wow. That is not so expensive. I suppose part of what I was thinking on is that if you front the money to actually do the publishing you can sink lots of moolah into it and its basically a gamble to see if it really will sell or not.

swstout
11-13-2009, 08:46 PM
With CreateSpace, except for going Pro, you don't pay anything unless you order the books for yourself. They print on demand, so none are printed until they are sold..

Steve turned me on to them.

Steve

Steve
11-14-2009, 11:36 AM
I haven't played with the Kindle reader yet. I don't know how many people are actually using that. I haven't gotten one. I kinda like the feel of a book or I can read things online with my computer. It seems like the kindle is a waste of sorts.

swstout
11-14-2009, 11:42 AM
I haven't played with the Kindle reader yet. I don't know how many people are actually using that. I haven't gotten one. I kinda like the feel of a book or I can read things online with my computer. It seems like the kindle is a waste of sorts.

You can get Kindle on your PC through Amazon. (read Only I believe). I am charging $5.00. My royalty is $1.75.

Steve

Steve
11-14-2009, 12:09 PM
Oh so you don't have to buy the kindle reader device then? Very interesting.