PDA

View Full Version : License to spray for weeds

Rod69jd
11-10-2009, 12:50 PM
Is it required that I need a license to spray for weeds on a commercial site?

StartALawnCareBusiness
11-10-2009, 01:26 PM
Without knowing the exact laws for your state and community it is difficult to tell which licenses you need.

I will say, though, in most instances a license IS needed to allow you to spray herbicide. Licensing regulations also cover types and amounts of insurance coverage.

Check with your local agricultural extension office. They will be able to inform you of licensing requirements for your particular area.

Steve
11-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Welcome to our forum!

Have you considered spraying organic materials? You wouldn't need a license then.

There has been much talk of using organic products on the forum here.

StartALawnCareBusiness
11-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Welcome to our forum!

Have you considered spraying organic materials? You wouldn't need a license then.

Steve:

Don't be so quick to assume organic chemicals are free from licensing regulations.

Any chemical (organic or otherwise) intended to kill weeds is, often, considered a herbicide due to its intended purpose. In many states, you need an applicator's license to apply any herbicide in the course of doing business.

Andy, in Canada, probably has a special exemption which covers his brand of organic weedkiller. That exemption may, or may not, be applicable here in the U.S.

Each state's licensing requirements are different and I am certainly not an expert on each state's regulations. I do know, however, my local enforcement agencies are real sticklers and they've handed out quite a few $5,000 fines this year to LCOs violating application regulations.

Check with your local Ag. office and gain a full understanding of your local regulations.

jasonw
11-12-2009, 02:37 PM
I don't need a license to spray round up for my clients.