PDA

View Full Version : Picking up leaves

BladeRunnerLC04
11-09-2009, 01:51 PM
What is the best and most efficient way to pick up leaves?

some of the yards that we maintain have heavy leaf fall.

Neone have any ideas on the best way to clean up the yard?

StartALawnCareBusiness
11-09-2009, 02:07 PM
What is the best and most efficient way to pick up leaves?

some of the yards that we maintain have heavy leaf fall.

Neone have any ideas on the best way to clean up the yard?

Each job is different and requires different methods and tools. This demonstration of using a blower and a tarp may help you.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bbB9daLfNn0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bbB9daLfNn0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

BladeRunnerLC04
11-09-2009, 02:32 PM
We have tried that method before....using the tarp and then lifting it into the truck to dispose of them. We found a little faster and that it haved for room into the truck to mulch them up really fine first...and then throw the bag on the lawn mowers and pick them up that way. that is how we have been doing it. Just want to know that is the best way.

thank you for the input tho!

Steve
11-09-2009, 05:35 PM
What about mulch blades and vacuum units on the mower?

picframer
11-09-2009, 08:57 PM
What about mulch blades and vacuum units on the mower?

This is what we do for 95%+ of the yards we look after and people writing asking us to come in, it does depend on your budget. It can be to some an expensive investment however how I have grown our company in every area is setting the bar a little higher and selling the clients on having leave shredded and placed in a neat pile on their yard and it is working beyond my dreams.

I have two Dr. Lawn Vacs running sunrise to sunset, we had a set back Friday with a freak snow fall but in your temps it was back to 65 Sunday so they guys are back at it today and for the rest of the week as we have over 160 places to do.

To be honest if we can't use the Dr Vac shredder, I pass, not interested in blowing and hauling.

I was on my way to get additional equipment this morning around 10, a fellow lawn car company was hauling a massive pile of leaves and the tail gate let loos on the highway, not sure what the outcome of that one will be....

mark123
11-09-2009, 09:49 PM
What I do is blow all leaves out of the landscapes and hard surfaces and then run a bagger on my mower until the leaves completely fill it and then I run over the rest of the lawn with the full bag acting as a mulching block which will chop up the rest of the leaves into dust and tiny pieces. Then I empty the bag and go over the lawn in a different direction. It fills up much less on the mulched up pieces than it does with full sized leaves. I empty as it fills this time around.

picframer
11-10-2009, 04:34 AM
What I do is blow all leaves out of the landscapes and hard surfaces and then run a bagger on my mower until the leaves completely fill it and then I run over the rest of the lawn with the full bag acting as a mulching block which will chop up the rest of the leaves into dust and tiny pieces. Then I empty the bag and go over the lawn in a different direction. It fills up much less on the mulched up pieces than it does with full sized leaves. I empty as it fills this time around.

We also do what Mark does on some lawns, we blow the leaves away from fences, out of mulch beds etc, drive over them with one of the tractors which have the Gator high lift lumching blades (twice), then sometimes the client just wants the mulched leaves left on the lawn, we offer an organic spray to brake them down faster, if you go over them twice they are really fine, in other cases we pull a sweeper and leave them in a pile.

The best sweeper in my experience and this is the third and final is the Agri Fab Smart Sweeper, it beats everything I have tried including Deere and Brinley, in fact Deere here now carries this unit as it doesn't skip, far better and easier to set height and most important, it does a great job.

BladeRunnerLC04
11-10-2009, 07:10 AM
wow. Thanx for all the ideas everyone. We are back to the grind today so I'm def gonna have my crews give them a shot. Thakns!

picframer
11-10-2009, 07:46 PM
If you get into the Organic sprays, you are looking at a 300%++ markup and trust me you will get it, we started in April and spray 169 clients.

Then every leaf job we sell an Organic Compost Accelator and make a killing.