PDA

View Full Version : Starting a small lawn care business

tmb610
11-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Can anyone tell me what the minimum size trailer to buy just starting out?

mark123
11-08-2009, 10:44 PM
I started without one and I'd like to keep it that way.

turfmaster
11-09-2009, 12:30 AM
Can anyone tell me what the minimum size trailer to buy just starting out?

6x12 is a good starter. Not to small and not to big. I have seen decent ones on Craigs List for around $7-800.00 bucks.

Steve
11-09-2009, 10:44 AM
It seems like you should figure out what size you need for your equipment now with what you have. Then buy the next size up.

Inevitably it seems as soon as you buy your first trailer, you will be picking up more customers and wanting to scale up your business and then be kicking yourself for not getting that larger sized trailer.

What have you been looking at so far and what kind of equipment will you be hauling around?

tmb610
11-09-2009, 12:51 PM
It seems like you should figure out what size you need for your equipment now with what you have. Then buy the next size up.

Inevitably it seems as soon as you buy your first trailer, you will be picking up more customers and wanting to scale up your business and then be kicking yourself for not getting that larger sized trailer.

What have you been looking at so far and what kind of equipment will you be hauling around?

well, I'll be starting out with a push mower a trimmer and a blower, I was thinking 5x10, would that be big enough to fit a small ride mower? What kind of money can I expect to make 30-35 weeks? I figured nothing less than 30.00, to mow, trim and clean

Steve
11-09-2009, 06:15 PM
Why not measure out the two different size trailers on your driveway. Park your equipment on it and see what size it is looking like you will need.

What kind of money can I expect to make 30-35 weeks? I figured nothing less than 30.00, to mow, trim and clean

How many accounts would you be looking to service per day?

turfmaster
11-10-2009, 02:48 AM
well, I'll be starting out with a push mower a trimmer and a blower, I was thinking 5x10, would that be big enough to fit a small ride mower? What kind of money can I expect to make 30-35 weeks? I figured nothing less than 30.00, to mow, trim and clean

Get a 6x12 Trust me you will not regret it. Especially if you get ZTR in the future. For a couple hundred extra bucks now you won't have to worry later.

tmb610
11-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Why not measure out the two different size trailers on your driveway. Park your equipment on it and see what size it is looking like you will need.

How many accounts would you be looking to service per day?

Part time, I was thinking 5-6 a week

greybeard_xlx
11-16-2009, 10:15 PM
I have been vacillating over a new trailer myself. I have a TORO ZTR but will probably be adding a largish leaf vac next fall, (I live in a big Poplar/Oak/Maple area), so I can make good money in late fall with leaf removal. This time next year I plan on having The large Cyclone rake as part of my gear. Even as a Solo act. a 12' trailer will be a necessity..