PDA

View Full Version : Converting a Crafstman 7.5hp Chipper to a leaf vac

firefighter5145
11-05-2009, 07:54 AM
Has anyone had any success with converting one of those Craftsman standup chippers with the large chute for mulching leaves into a leaf vac? I removed the metal shoot from the machine and exposed the round impeller opening just like you would see on a typical leaf vac. However, I was wondering what the easiest way to attach the intake hose to the blower housing. I will post pics tonight of the removed chute after work to show my situation. Attached is the model chipper I have.

Steve
11-06-2009, 07:40 AM
I haven't studied the difference in the design of a leaf shredder compared to a chipper like this one, is there much difference in the design?

Have you checked that out at all?

firefighter5145
11-06-2009, 09:38 AM
It's interesting you say that. I explored this option sometime back and figured the same thing. However, this time I completely disassembled the impeller housing and examined inside. The impeller used on this model Chipper (Troybilt) with Craftsman sticker is actually the same exact impeller used in the MTD walk behind leaf vac/chipper. I compared owner's manual diagrams for the 2 models and they are identical with the exeption of a few minor details (small diference in blower housing, bolts, etc.) I have done research all over in web and have found that many people had the same issues removing the impeller because of the tapered shaft on the engine. However, these people all had different manufactures machines. After reading this I am certain that it is a generic design for all of the store bought lawn vacs and chipper/shredders. I am in the process of rotating the blower housing so that the discharge shoot is facing up. I am having some difficuly in finding the suction inlet that is used on the front of the blower housing. I did find 1 that fits a push behind blower. However, I am not sure the diameter of the back of the flange and the costs of this piece is $70. I have also looked at black stove pipe connectors to accomplish the taks of attaching the suction hose to the machine. ANy ideas of suggestions would be appreciated. I will post pics tonight showing progress.

Steve
11-06-2009, 10:40 AM
I'd like to see a design of what you are trying to do even if it was a rough pencil draft. That would help me envision it more.

But as far as the inlet, why not create it out of cardboard first. Then either use that to cut out the design in sheet metal or make it out of fiberglass.