PDA

View Full Version : Going door to door?

jasonw
11-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Ok so I am preparing a campaign where I will personally go door to door, introduce myself and my services in a upscale area down the road from me. I half thought about having my employee to the ground pounding but figured I would be the best to represent my business in a professional manor. Are there any specific rules of engagement when going door to door like this? do and donts?

Steve
11-04-2009, 06:31 AM
It seems from conversations we have had on this topic in the past that if you talk to people and hand them something, like a flyer along with a price to service their property you can get the conversation rolling. Then you could also point out other issues on the property that should be addressed.

jasonw
11-04-2009, 11:19 AM
It seems from conversations we have had on this topic in the past that if you talk to people and hand them something, like a flyer along with a price to service their property you can get the conversation rolling. Then you could also point out other issues on the property that should be addressed.

I wander if there is anything like "look for driveways with handicapped equipped vans in them" or like "Dont goto a house with a 1985 Chevy truck in the driveway" LOL:)

Steve
11-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Here was a blog article that talked about this topic

Lawn Care Business Flyer Door to Door distribution advice.
http://lawnchat.com/?p=695

jdsimpkins
11-07-2009, 05:23 PM
You could either get some doorhangers and hang them without talking to someone or if you insist on talking to them (probably the best option) still take something along for them to look at.

Whatever your approach, follow some basic rules. These rules are not to poke fun at anyone or be funny. You would be surprised how little things are overlooked.

1. Brush your teeth. People will be distracted by your bad breath and will just be trying to get you out of there instead of really listening. If you are a smoker (I am) carry some mints. I wouldn't recommend gum as someone smacking gum can become distracting as well. A mint can fit comfortably in your jaw without them even noticing that you have something in your mouth.

2. Since we are on smoking....This is a touchy subject for some. I am a smoker! I have rights! However, despite how 'unfair' it may be for someone to pass judgement on you for being a smoker, it is inevitable. I don't smoke when doing business!

3. Keep noise down. I know when I am on my way to a potential sale, I like to pump myself up with some music. When you arrive at someones house however, have it turned down. Better yet, when you are in a neighborhood, don't blair your music. This is most unprofessional.

4. Dress professionally. I understand, we cut grass. I'm not saying where a suit and tie to the door. That would appear ridiculous to people anyways. What I do recommend though is investing $20-$30 in a nice polo shirt with your company's name and/or logo on it. Tuck it in. It looks much neater.

5. Don't skip houses! This one hits a personal note with me. A buddy was with me passing out doorhangers one day. I happened to look over at him and he was walking by a house without hanging one. When we got to the end of the block, I asked him why he didn't hang a flyer there. He said "Well, their grass was well maintained, they probably have someone they are happy with already." The next block he does the same thing and I notice. This time a lady happens to be walking out to sit on her porch as he is walking through her yard, passing her up. She is looking at us like "what the hell is going on out here?" I walked over and talked to her, giving her a flyer. That was the last doorhanging he ever did with me. I think it makes you look uncredible. Im not saying the trailer in the middle of town with 15 cars on blocks that havent been mowed around in 5 years should be on your list to hit but dont pass people by because their grass looks nice. Who cares about losing credibility with that trailer anyways? ;)

6. My hands are tired, if you would like more tips let me know and I'll post later. :) Good luck sir!

Steve
11-07-2009, 05:42 PM
6. My hands are tired, if you would like more tips let me know and I'll post later.

I'd love to hear more!

jdsimpkins
11-09-2009, 02:51 PM
I'd love to hear more!

OK, so don't have a cig hanging out of your mouth, take a bath and brush teeth, turn music down, hit everyone........let's see.

6. Once you knock on the door or ring the bell, take a step or two back. Don't crowd the doorway so that you are in their face. Once they open the door, you can step closer with your hand out to shake hands as you introduce yourself. (if they don't reach for the hand, I always liked to look at my hand as if there was something on it, wipe it on my pants and reextend, this usually gets a smile at least out of them)

7. Hand them something right away. If they are holding something of yours, they won't be able to close the door in your face. Simply hand them a flier with a list of duties you can perform, after shaking their hand.

8. Name drop. Use your closest customers names in conversation. Example, you cut Julie Smith's grass, she lives a block over. Say, we take care of Mrs. Smith's lawn over here (and point in that direction) on Hemlock St or whatever street she lives on. When they see that their neighbors have already instilled their trust in you, they are more likely to do the same.

9. Practice. Practice your pitch in front of a mirror. It doesn't have to be word for word and if you mess up the customer will never know because they don't know your 'script' in the first place.

10. Be natural. Don't sound like you are reading a script. Just relax.

11. If they are rude. Be polite. Give them a card. Say. "Thanks for your time, I would like for you to do me a favor. If you know someone who may need my services, please pass my card along." This shows professionalism.

To Be Continued...........

Steve
11-09-2009, 06:21 PM
These are really great points.

jasonw
11-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Yes those are great tips. Thanks for posting. I am out of town now but for sure will follow them all when getting back in town.

jdsimpkins
11-09-2009, 11:18 PM
Yes those are great tips. Thanks for posting. I am out of town now but for sure will follow them all when getting back in town.

Your welcome. I hope they help you. If you have any more questions or anything, feel free to ask.

picframer
11-10-2009, 05:45 AM

This is critical and makes a world of difference, On cold calls although I generally don't go door to door however I have a new employee that loves doing it and he friggin closes just about every call he does....anyhow I simply say good morning/afternoon, my company is in your area and I noticed......we offer this service along with a host of professional lawn car, may I leave you with my card, our estimates are free, we have references in your area if you wish. Just give it some thought as I am not here to obtain a reply today.

That last friggin line is something I started about a month ago and buddy it really works, takes all the sales pressure off the prospect and for whatever reason gains a quick trust.

Now as for this new emplyee, I only hire University/High School students or grads waiting for their first job, Justin has the gift to gab, very smart and he has learned all the services we offer and picked up quoting faster than any employee and other than me, he is the only employee allowed to quote. He like me loves meeting new people, clients love him and I had to tell him to stop last week as we have too many jobs to get done.....he doesn't listen when it comes to stopping sales and I know this from the emails I receive from people almost every day, two yesterday alone, I met your employee Justin and he mentioned you offer.......could you possibly come back as we decided we would like to have the work done, I would keep this guy forever but he is a Physiotheripist (sp??) and I suspect he will find work soon.

Now I do have two school bus drivers that do lawn care when they are not driving children, that is the only excaption.

jdsimpkins
11-10-2009, 12:49 PM
This is critical and makes a world of difference, On cold calls although I generally don't go door to door however I have a new employee that loves doing it and he friggin closes just about every call he does....anyhow I simply say good morning/afternoon, my company is in your area and I noticed......we offer this service along with a host of professional lawn car, may I leave you with my card, our estimates are free, we have references in your area if you wish. Just give it some thought as I am not here to obtain a reply today.

That last friggin line is something I started about a month ago and buddy it really works, takes all the sales pressure off the prospect and for whatever reason gains a quick trust.

Now as for this new emplyee, I only hire University/High School students or grads waiting for their first job, Justin has the gift to gab, very smart and he has learned all the services we offer and picked up quoting faster than any employee and other than me, he is the only employee allowed to quote. He like me loves meeting new people, clients love him and I had to tell him to stop last week as we have too many jobs to get done.....he doesn't listen when it comes to stopping sales and I know this from the emails I receive from people almost every day, two yesterday alone, I met your employee Justin and he mentioned you offer.......could you possibly come back as we decided we would like to have the work done, I would keep this guy forever but he is a Physiotheripist (sp??) and I suspect he will find work soon.

Now I do have two school bus drivers that do lawn care when they are not driving children, that is the only excaption.

Justin sounds like a sharp guy! It really is a shame you can't keep him. What does a physiotheripist do?

jdsimpkins
11-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Justin sounds like a sharp guy! It really is a shame you can't keep him. What does a physiotheripist do?

Never mind. For anyone else that wondered that.........Physiotherapists treat patients with physical difficulties resulting from illness, injury, disability or ageing. They treat people of all ages including children, the elderly, stroke patients and people with sports injuries.

picframer
11-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Never mind. For anyone else that wondered that.........Physiotherapists treat patients with physical difficulties resulting from illness, injury, disability or ageing. They treat people of all ages including children, the elderly, stroke patients and people with sports injuries.

He is amazing and he told me this evening after a very long and hard day, he talked to his mom (single parent and he lives at home) that he wants to work with me full time and do Physio part time.

The kid is amazing at cold calls, we switched with another crew today, they did our excavation and we did their leaf collection, the friggin kid was going door to door down the street, we have four sites to do, we never left the first one as he close 7 sales and some of his quotes made me think of my son's common reply, you don't charge enough.

Then this morning while driving to the first job, we had three calls from people who either passed us or were behind us asking what the heck we we were towing and do we do leaves....we laughed our heads off.

I just wish I had more trucks and staff but it's too late in the season to buy more gear, we have more work than we know what to do with so we are just riding this out....and of course having a blast.

I added a BR600 Stihl blower to the colection this morning, OMG this thing is insane.

jdsimpkins
11-10-2009, 08:42 PM
He is amazing and he told me this evening after a very long and hard day, he talked to his mom (single parent and he lives at home) that he wants to work with me full time and do Physio part time.

Awesome! Pay him well and treat him even better than you pay him! Sounds like a great person to have working for you.

FRANK1973
12-29-2009, 02:48 PM
Has Anyone Tried Email Marketing And Did It Work If So What Type Of Templet Was Used And If It Didn't Work What Do You Believe Was The Reason It Didn't

Steve
12-30-2009, 10:08 AM
I am sure email marketing could be helpful in getting your name out, but it seems those who are most successful on here tend to market one on one or get word of mouth referrals from happy customers.

Do you have roots in your community where you are associated with a bunch of groups that you could promote your new business through? Do you have many friends and family in the area that can help you get the word out as well?

It seems the more personable the marketing is, the more successful it is.

XtreemGreen
02-07-2010, 10:41 PM
old post, but man I wish I could find someone like that...

picframer
02-08-2010, 06:55 AM
They can be hard to find, I have a few marketing University students that work for me and have tried things they were tought or are being tought, direct approach with a card is the best and proven for us, next is leaving a targaret card that identifies a need we saw that we can help with, nothing beats referrals.

However this guy that came along just has that natural ability and you can't beat that.

Email marketing is very dangerous, I say that because your email can be placed on a spam list if enough people report it as spam and trust me I have been there with another company and it took us months to get unblocked and created a massive headache as we could not even email clients.

Steve
02-09-2010, 04:16 AM
Email marketing is very dangerous, I say that because your email can be placed on a spam list if enough people report it as spam and trust me I have been there with another company and it took us months to get unblocked and created a massive headache as we could not even email clients.

When we haven't had to deal with this, we have no idea what a pain it can be. Can you tell us a little about how being on such a spam list effects your ability to do business on the internet? I am sure some here are thinking, so what if I get on a spam list, what do I care. But what are the down sides?

picframer
02-09-2010, 07:13 AM
When we haven't had to deal with this, we have no idea what a pain it can be. Can you tell us a little about how being on such a spam list effects your ability to do business on the internet? I am sure some here are thinking, so what if I get on a spam list, what do I care. But what are the down sides?

I would have to ask the IT staff at the previous company the process but I know it took 60+ days.

It effects you as every client you receive an inquiry from, when you respond your email automatically goes into their junk folder and most clients never check the junk folder as they assume like I it's just junk so why waste the time.

I flag emails daily that are junk and it does get reported, just be careful.

treefetty
02-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Would you want to drive around with your trailer and equipment while going door to door?