PDA

View Full Version : Trak Vac Deck Boot

shorthorn
11-02-2009, 09:30 PM
I recently acquired a Trac Vac Model 880, which I think would help immensly in leaf cleanup. Trouble is, the deck boot that came with it is for an older John Deere 425, and wont fit on my x320 with the 48C deck... I called Trak Vac and they want $200 for the boot.. Any other idea's where I could get a boot to use with this vac quickly?

I have looked at the cyclone rake and agri-fab boots.. both look like the might work. Anyone have any experience with either of these?

When I finally am able to use this unit, should I leave my mulching blades on, or use the standard side discharge blades???

THanks for any help
Chad.

Steve
11-03-2009, 05:12 AM
Chad is the deck boot like the picture here? What is it fabricated with? Metal, plastic, rubber?

Can you take a picture of what you got so far?

http://www.trac-vac.com/Images/chute.jpg

shorthorn
11-03-2009, 07:55 AM
The deck boot that is with the unit, is exactly like the one in your picture (I don't have a picture handy at the moment). The boot is for a John Deere 425, I have a x320 with a 48C deck. The boot that is with the unit is about 1/2" too narrow to fit my deck opening, and about 2 to 3" too tall for my deck.

Steve
11-03-2009, 12:07 PM
When you say narrow, narrow like how do you mean?

and about 2 to 3" too tall for my deck.
can you cut it in half and then take an inch off up and down from that center cut, then re-weld it?

shorthorn
11-03-2009, 05:00 PM
Steve,

I most certainly could... The tricky part here is I am only "borrowing" the unit from my great Aunt.. I can't modify her chute in case she ever decides to use it again (very doubtful, but I don't want to take the chance)

I am pretty much resolved to fabricate my own boot (I am an engineer by trade, and my father is a welder/fabricator).. Does anyone else have pictures of these boots mounted on their decks, so I can get some more ideas how it should mount to the deck.. If anyone has one on a JD 48C or 54C deck that would be ideal!

Steve
11-04-2009, 05:47 AM
I most certainly could... The tricky part here is I am only "borrowing" the unit from my great Aunt.. I can't modify her chute in case she ever decides to use it again (very doubtful, but I don't want to take the chance)

I can totally understand that LOL, I am sure she wouldn't be too happy with you if you ripped her's apart and rewelded it.

Can you instead use it as a model and then make a prototype out of cardboard at first. Make sure it fits on your mower. Then use the dimensions of the cardboard to cut the sheet metal and fabricate your own?

shorthorn
11-04-2009, 07:35 AM
Steve,

That is a great idea... Make a cardboard "boot" then use those pieces to lay out my sheet metal. Guess I know what I am doing tonight after work!

Steve
11-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Take some pictures of the project! I'd love to see how it progresses!