PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the Welcome, Gopher Forum!

LawnEZ
10-30-2009, 08:59 AM
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to the business. Started this past March after being outsourced from Corporate America with 25 years invested. My decision to go into this business wasn't an after thought. I had been planning to do this once I retired from Corporate America. The only difference, I had to engage my plans a little earlier. Anyway, that's how I got started into the business.
I own and operate my business in NE Oklahoma area. This first mow season has been a good experience, but with a price attached to it. For instance, I destroyed my trim mower early into the season by trusting the customer word and not checking for myself. Don't get me wrong, the customer is one of best customer and they felt really bad, but that doesn't help the wallet.
Now that we are going into the fall & winter months, I hoping that we can pick up so leaf removal work or some odd jobs. Not have been in business through this period before, I not for sure how to drum enough business to tie us over until next spring. I'm sure this is the worry for many new to the business.
I have been reading the forum and it has many beneficial articles, postings,and helpful links.
Thank you for Welcoming Us to the forum
LawnEZ

Steve
10-30-2009, 11:51 AM
Welcome to our forum!

or instance, I destroyed my trim mower early into the season by trusting the customer word and not checking for myself.

What happened in this situation?

akessinger84
10-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Now that we are going into the fall & winter months, I hoping that we can pick up so leaf removal work or some odd jobs. Not have been in business through this period before, I not for sure how to drum enough business to tie us over until next spring. I'm sure this is the worry for many new to the business.

first off welcome to the forum.

Just a thought, One way to cope with the slower months like were in now is to set up a multi year contract with your customers and break the payments down to a 12 month period ofcourse with our company that covers spring and fall cleanup seems like it would work if you had enough customers to cover your expenses that way. Just something to think about.

Steve
10-31-2009, 07:01 AM
Just a thought, One way to cope with the slower months like were in now is to set up a multi year contract with your customers

How many years do your contracts usually last for?

arthur712
10-31-2009, 10:29 AM
Welcome to the Forum!

akessinger84
10-31-2009, 10:52 AM
I figured two years. april of say 2010 to april of 2012. however if a customer wanted a three or a five year contract I'd have no problem with that. However a thought with three to five year contracts is your locked in for that price so if say fuel prices sky rocket again Your screwed. But I guess you could have a clause in the contract stating that the price could change based on economic situations. what do you think steve?

Steve
11-01-2009, 04:54 AM
I have also seen where the contract was self renewing every year until the customer opted out. I would also think if you needed to raise prices, you could send a letter out in the beginning of the season to let customers know and if they had a problem they could opt out then.

akessinger84
11-01-2009, 10:13 AM
That also would work too. I just like the way that the contract spreads the payment out over the course of a year, so when mowing and leaf season ends, and the snow hasn't started flying I don't have to wonder where the the next mortgage payment is coming from. It's pretty cool.