PDA

View Full Version : Money & Jobs Doing Foreclosures

majoe7
10-27-2009, 09:11 PM
How many of you read the article on the bottom front page of the USA Today newspaper. "Cities fight blight sown by recession" by Marisol Bello USA Today

“The article starts out by stating that city workers are taking hands on approach to fight the blight of foreclosed homes. They are mowing lawns, trimming shrubs, boarding up windows and doors, replacing stolen fences, clearing out trash, then charging property owners for the work. Two cities mentioned in the article is one here in Florida called Cape Coral FL. and Chula Vista, Cali. Cape Coral mowed 5,234 lawns and collected $410,000 in liens. Chula Vista passed rules and imposed fines up to $1000. They charge the owner for the work and also charge $128 an hour for the code enforcement officer. So far the have imposed $1.5 million in fines and collected $600,000 so far. “

It was an interest short read that gave me some ideas for jobs. First, maybe instead of going to the banks and realtors for foreclosed homes, we need to go to the cities, municipalities or government outlets to try and get our foot in the door and either start up, help or take over this chore for them. Obviously there is great money in this and the article and workers already suggested the needed jobs.

1. Mowing
2. Trimming Shrubs
3. Boarding Up Windows and Doors
4. Replacing Fences, I don't know about this one, but good money in it.
Maybe removing the post the person left behind after they took the 6 foot section of fence panels. Posts are the cheap parts of the job.
5. Clearing out trash.
6. Removing items left behind inside the house.

I am sure that with our knowledge we can come up with more jobs to do. This would be a perfect time for a lot of us sense it our slow time and we are looking for jobs to offset our loss of income or wanting to keep our schedule full and busy. Some of these jobs can be done by our winter friends or maybe you can plow driveways or keep entrance ways snow free?

John

Credit to USA Today for some of the contents posted here.

Steve
10-28-2009, 03:46 AM
It's a great idea. The thing that I bet a lot of business owners would be concerned about is how would they get paid? Would the town pay them soon after services were rendered or would you have to wait until the town got paid to get paid?

turfmaster
10-28-2009, 09:20 AM
It's a great idea. The thing that I bet a lot of business owners would be concerned about is how would they get paid? Would the town pay them soon after services were rendered or would you have to wait until the town got paid to get paid?

Exactly, That would be my concern how long am I going to wait to get paid.
We serviced foreclosed properties for a bank and after repeated invoices and phone calls we finally got paid.
I will not deal with that crap next year.

I have my reservations about the inefficiencies of any level of government getting things done.

Steve
10-29-2009, 05:15 AM
We serviced foreclosed properties for a bank and after repeated invoices and phone calls we finally got paid.

How long did it take in total to get paid?