PDA

View Full Version : A Day off leads to $400.00 and a hot tub

AllProlawn
10-24-2009, 01:10 AM

I was going to take th day off to day i nothing to do to day (friday)
its my wifes birthday on saturday and planned on spending the day
with her.
I got a phone call from one of my customers he just bought a new rental
and he need me Asap to clean the back yard so i said i be over to check it out .
I got there the front was not to bad looked like it hadnt been mowed
in a couple of weeks.
Then i got to the back yard
Wooww it looked like it has not been mowed all summer the weeds were as tall as i was i called my customer and told him that i would do it for 250 bucks he said i dont care just get it done and call him when i was done
so he could come pay me .

so i got my weed eater out and began wacking got the first layer down
and then racked up
weed wacked again then got my mower out put on a fresh blade abd went at it it came out nice. even found a hot tub in all the mess.

I called him as i began the front yard he showed up whe i was loading
my stuff up.he went in back to check it out he came back and said
nice job and asked if i wanted the hot tub .
i said sure
he got his wallet out and handed me 4 one hunderd dollar bills and said thanks for all the good work you do for me .
i was shocked i told him he did not have to pay me that much
but he insted that i take it he and his wife enjoy my work and
he knows it will get done right.

Steve
10-24-2009, 07:14 AM
Wow wait a minute, is that the front lawn and then the back lawn? Or is that a before and after picture?

How long did it take to do all that?

HAHAHA How did you get the hot tub out of there?

AllProlawn
10-24-2009, 10:58 AM
Wow wait a minute, is that the front lawn and then the back lawn? Or is that a before and after picture?

How long did it take to do all that?

HAHAHA How did you get the hot tub out of there?

Steve that was the back yard before and after
i havent got the hotub out yet will do that on sunday
i will use my stock car trailer to move it
its in pretty goood shape just needs a good cleaning
it will look nice on my deck :)

Steve
10-25-2009, 05:52 AM
You did a great job! How long did it take to trim all that back?

AllProlawn
10-25-2009, 03:33 PM
You did a great job! How long did it take to trim all that back?

3 hours with my single line trimmer
15 min for the front
got the hot tub today ad sat in on the deck and put a big
bow on it lisa will be suprized when she gets home

Steve
10-26-2009, 03:40 AM
got the hot tub today ad sat in on the deck and put a big
bow on it lisa will be suprized when she gets home

HAHAHAHH That is awesome!

When you do these one time rental property jobs, how often do they turn on to become regular properties to service or do the customers simply want to hack the grass back and then wait till it gets that high again before they call?

AllProlawn
10-27-2009, 03:43 AM
HAHAHAHH That is awesome!

When you do these one time rental property jobs, how often do they turn on to become regular properties to service or do the customers simply want to hack the grass back and then wait till it gets that high again before they call?

I have had a couple turn in to Regulars but most call me when they need me

but i have worked for Hills for 2 years now they have 27 homes when thya had called me last year it was to do sprinkler start ups for them .
there so called mantanince guy said he blew out the systems for them,
a. he used a small compressor
b. or he did not blow them out at all
so they called me to check them out and wow did i make a killing
vacume breakers were cracked lines were busted.some valves were
cracked i was pretty busy for about 3 weeks fixing them
after i was done with the sprinklers they were so happy i explained
every thing i did -with photos of each Property .
they just loved it .

This spring they called me to turn them back on and areate them
i do mow them when the houses are vacant untill they are rented .
they had 4 this year that were vacant 3 were rented out
in a month and half and the other is still vacant so they are my first
repete customers

Steve
10-27-2009, 04:43 AM
This sounds like the dream kind of customer. Where once you become the go to guy, they call you for all kinds of services and keep you busy.

I bet you could potentially offer home repairs too or haul away junk from renters who leave the place a mess.

AllProlawn
10-27-2009, 12:03 PM
This sounds like the dream kind of customer. Where once you become the go to guy, they call you for all kinds of services and keep you busy.

I bet you could potentially offer home repairs too or haul away junk from renters who leave the place a mess.

You know i never realy thought about that before thanks
and i have thought about with all of theb houses he has
may be give him a discount on mowing them .
me and lisa are planning on have a christmas party
this year and inviting a few customers this year
and they would be on top of the list thats for shure

Steve
10-27-2009, 03:56 PM
Is it possible he knows other property investors in the area that would have similar amounts of rental properties? Maybe he could refer them to you if you asked?

kdvandco
02-02-2011, 12:41 AM
I came across a couple jobs like that where the owners just wanted it done . so they paid a little more, and then found stuff in the yard I was allowed to keep, a jon boat turned up side down, several bicycles, tools galore, some stuff I keep, some I scrap, a lot I give away to people who will actually do stuff with them.

I have a set of flyers specially worded for real estate agents stating I'll keep yards looking nice so they rent or sale faster offering discount for multiple properties,

always offering the make ready option for new move ins.

I stay pretty busy Mowing and Outside work comprise of about 50 percent of my work time, desk work, and marketing , and buying selling and trading.the other 50 percent

anything i can do to keep from clocking in! sorry my post seem so long!

Steve
02-02-2011, 07:59 AM
I came across a couple jobs like that where the owners just wanted it done .

That is fantastic! What is your view on the best way to market for such jobs?

Do you mention trash hauling in your flyers if you are willing to remove debris from the yards? Is that important to point out?

Do you take any before and after pictures? I bet they would help sell the service too.

kdvandco
02-06-2011, 01:04 AM
I have flyers where Ill leave if I see junk in someones yard..

and flyers that are made just for real estated offices and banks that state.Ill do anything from simple mowing and edging to complete clean out and make ready. those flyers are taken directly to all real estate offices and banks.WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO GET THE PROPERTY SOLD OR RENTED.

Minimum dump fee is about 50 bux for my area.. but I charge right around 150-200 to fill it and dump it one time.

Steve
02-06-2011, 08:08 AM
I have flyers where Ill leave if I see junk in someones yard..

That is brilliant! If you have a bunch of different flyers in your truck, you could be passing them out all day long depending on the type of services you see that people need!

and flyers that are made just for real estated offices and banks that state.Ill do anything from simple mowing and edging to complete clean out and make ready. those flyers are taken directly to all real estate offices and banks.WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO GET THE PROPERTY SOLD OR RENTED.

When you drop these off, do you just go into the office and give it to a secretary or do you do it another way? What about magnetic business cards in this case? Would they work even better?

kdvandco
02-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Yeah Ill act like Im there to rent a house or buy one ask to speak to an agent and them shoot him my sell. up to him after that.. my truck now is primered grey ford which i love like a horse, I may get a used f250 because i love how the look.. either way ill have a special paint job put on that will advertise my buisness.

untill then just flyers and business cards.. no car sign age. Im just always ready to hand them something with my info on it when I catch them looking or asking questions. there is a sign on my trailer tho! cause I like to leave it parked places or when doing job it has my number real big on there.

kdvandco
02-07-2011, 05:14 PM
That is brilliant! If you have a bunch of different flyers in your truck, you could be passing them out all day long depending on the type of services you see that people need!

When you drop these off, do you just go into the office and give it to a secretary or do you do it another way? What about magnetic business cards in this case? Would they work even better?

I figure the more stuff I can get out there the better chance. sure I could do one flyer with everything on there but after I passed those out I'd be done. whats the fun in that.