PDA

View Full Version : Targeting a specific area

swstout
10-23-2009, 02:36 PM
I went on a call for an estimate this morning in an area I have been trying to penetrate for a year now. It is in the Lakeview area, an upper middle class area. When I got to the job, the person who called and 3 of his neighbors were there waiting for me.

The person who made the appointment is a general practitioner at the Care South Medical Offices (a commercial contract I have). He liked the way I keep the complex organically and wanted to get rid of the service he now has.

I went to give one estimate and ended up giving 4. Singing 2, one starting next week and one for next spring.

What I found very interesting about the area, all lakefront properties, was that they heard that starting in 2010, all non-organic fertilizers, pesticides and week killers will be banned.

How can I target this area specifically? I will have my lawn signs displayed but I want to really target the community over the winter.

Any suggestions?

Steve

majoe7
10-23-2009, 03:10 PM
What I found very interesting about the area, all lakefront properties, was that they heard that starting in 2010, all non-organic fertilizers, pesticides and week killers will be banned.
How can I target this area specifically? I will have my lawn signs displayed but I want to really target the community over the winter.

Steve,

This may take some time but maybe you can take a drive through the neighborhood and take down all the address of the lakefront homes. Put together a nice detailed and informative Boucher to show the service's that you have been offering for the past year+, All Organic. You could either go door to door and have one on one meetings or have a nice medium size postcard made and mail it to all said address's. Mail it once now , then in about 2 months mail it again. The clients may remember the postcard the first time but the second time may get them thinking. This will get the clients thinking ahead of time and you can have your foot in the door. Have a post it attached to the cover letter saying something like this- Contact ______ to make an appointment to discuss my Organic Services.

Also contact the HOA about setting up a meeting with them to show what you can do for them on their common areas. Maybe they will allow you to speak at their monthly meeting about going Organic? If they allow you to speak have them put in the monthly flyer, bulletin or website the date you will be presenting your company info. Set up a display like you did at other demonstrations you presented. The only down fall to the HOA meeting is that hardly any home owners attend these due to the fact they think they are a waste of time.

Lastly use the clients you already have and give them referrals cards to hand out to their neighbors in the development. Maybe you can offer them a discount on the price they will be paying if they get you some referrals?

Just food for thought... Good luck buddy. :)

John

swstout
10-23-2009, 03:47 PM
I am considering a color brochure (I have a color laser printer) and mail it to the various addresses with a couple business cards in the envelope. I use magnetic business cards that tend to end up on the refrig. The problem is, I have tried direct mail before with very poor results. The mailings were not really targeted though.

I spent a little time this afternoon trying (without results) to find and contact HOA's. A new learning curve for me. Until now, I have just advertised broadly. Web site and newspaper. Targeting is new to me.

This winter, I will get professional vinyl signs for my 3 trucks and car. Now I am using magnetic signs that have weathered badly. I did order vinyl vehicle signs over the Internet that sounded great but didn't measure up. I didn't spend a lot and view the experience as a learning experience. I am also going to work on developing more professional lawn signs. Informative, but not gaudy.

Right now, I am at the "cuss and discus" stage looking for any and all suggestions.

Steve

majoe7
10-23-2009, 05:41 PM
Steve,

I agree with you on Direct Mailing. It doesn’t really work unless you have the word FREE on your ad, coupon and placement. That is the only word that gets attention now of days. To target a certain area I still believe in referrals but I do tend to like going in the neighborhoods and see people one on one. I think Andy (Picframer) stated in some posts that he runs into folks with needs and starts small talk and that tends to lead into some type of job he or his company can offer. This has worked for me on several occasions. I did a spot mailing like I suggested and the results were amazing. I mailed to 10 houses on one short block that I thought needed my expertise and experience on lawn maintenance. I picked up 7 accounts out of the 10 and one wanting me to get back with them in the spring. They see me in the area every week and the job’s that I have done. They have said that they have always noticed the quality of work that I do, but didn’t think that I was taking on new accounts. The misunderstanding started from me stating to one past client that I couldn’t take on any more new accounts this season do to the fact that I had enough for this season. It was the client that took advantage of me and never paid me. Sometimes word spreads fast. So be careful.

If you want to contact HOA’s and you have clients in the area you are already working in then approach the client and explain to them what you are trying to do with your company and see if the can give you the HOA website address or Presidents name and possibly contact number. Also you can try to contact management companies that manage HOA and offer them a presentation of your company’s offerings.

John

justin_time
10-23-2009, 08:20 PM
Steve,

I agree with you on Direct Mailing. It doesn’t really work unless you have the word FREE on your ad, coupon and placement. That is the only word that gets attention now of days. To target a certain area I still believe in referrals but I do tend to like going in the neighborhoods and see people one on one. I think Andy (Picframer) stated in some posts that he runs into folks with needs and starts small talk and that tends to lead into some type of job he or his company can offer. This has worked for me on several occasions. I did a spot mailing like I suggested and the results were amazing. I mailed to 10 houses on one short block that I thought needed my expertise and experience on lawn maintenance. I picked up 7 accounts out of the 10 and one wanting me to get back with them in the spring. They see me in the area every week and the job’s that I have done. They have said that they have always noticed the quality of work that I do, but didn’t think that I was taking on new accounts. The misunderstanding started from me stating to one past client that I couldn’t take on any more new accounts this season do to the fact that I had enough for this season. It was the client that took advantage of me and never paid me. Sometimes word spreads fast. So be careful.

If you want to contact HOA’s and you have clients in the area you are already working in then approach the client and explain to them what you are trying to do with your company and see if the can give you the HOA website address or Presidents name and possibly contact number. Also you can try to contact management companies that manage HOA and offer them a presentation of your company’s offerings.

John

My area is too small, there is no such thing as direct mailing :(

So I basically just have to go with sending everybody a flyer and hope for the best

Steve
10-24-2009, 07:04 AM
What if you got some small lawn signs sorta like this one. Have it say 'Save The Lake! My lawn is 100% organic.' Maybe put a smiley face below it and then your company name and phone number. Insert them in the lawns you service and have it so others walking by will see it and want to make their lawn organic too.

If you wrap your sales message around a community movement, you could potentially ride along with the momentum of it.

http://www.gopherforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1760&d=1256385858

swstout
10-24-2009, 01:37 PM
What if you got some small lawn signs sorta like this one. Have it say 'Save The Lake! My lawn is 100% organic.' Maybe put a smiley face below it and then your company name and phone number. Insert them in the lawns you service and have it so others walking by will see it and want to make their lawn organic too.

If you wrap your sales message around a community movement, you could potentially ride along with the momentum of it.

http://www.gopherforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1760&d=1256385858

I came up with this last night. Comments?

Steve

Steve
10-25-2009, 05:55 AM
I think that is good. I bet it wouldn't take much once you start getting the word out to get people to sign up for your services.