PDA

View Full Version : B&S air filter cleaning and or replacment?

jasonw
10-21-2009, 03:50 PM
How many times should I clean it before replacing it? I normally keep a new one in the tool box and use them until they turn to concrete and the mower wont start but I guess it would be better for the equipment to get cleaner air and replace them at intervals so what do you think?

justin_time
10-21-2009, 04:22 PM
How many times should I clean it before replacing it? I normally keep a new one in the tool box and use them until they turn to concrete and the mower wont start but I guess it would be better for the equipment to get cleaner air and replace them at intervals so what do you think?

Depends how much you use the mower and depends how dirty it is. I usually try to clean it with air once a day.

jasonw
10-21-2009, 04:37 PM
It gets used probably at this time only once or twice a week. It never gets dirty so air wont really help. Its one of those foam filters and it gets rather oily and gunky requiring solvent and water to clean. Probably wouldn't hurt to just make it one of the routine things I do after each week of service ends. How many times should I clean it before replacing it though? Just keep cleaning until the yellow turns black or what?

justin_time
10-21-2009, 05:11 PM
It gets used probably at this time only once or twice a week. It never gets dirty so air wont really help. Its one of those foam filters and it gets rather oily and gunky requiring solvent and water to clean. Probably wouldn't hurt to just make it one of the routine things I do after each week of service ends. How many times should I clean it before replacing it though? Just keep cleaning until the yellow turns black or what?

Just soak it in water and soap overnight

SuperiorPower
10-22-2009, 05:58 PM
Foam filters CAN be cleaned by washing them in warm soap and water and it is normally OK to do so as long as the filter is in good condition. However, if there is a question, your engine is worth too much to take a chance with it.

For paper filters, don't even try to clean it. Just replace it. PERIOD.

Poor air filtration will reduce the life of your engine by permitting dirty air into your engine. Small dirt particles are like sandpaper in your engine.

Don't take chances....

Good luck,
Eli

jasonw
10-24-2009, 02:51 PM
I don't understand this. If the paper filter is so clogged that fresh air cant get it how will dirt get in? How will the engine even run? I mean protecting our motors are exactly what air filters are for. Are you saying paper filters don't work and there for shouldn't be used? My new tractor has a paper filter on it and I love it, every day I pull it off and used air to blow it off and replace it, still looks new.