PDA

View Full Version : What is your Signature?

picframer
10-20-2009, 09:09 PM
Just curious as we all do a host of yard care type work, what is it you do, that you love to do and when you look at the results you smile....and quite often the client does as well.

For me it is grading driveways, something I seem to have down pat and love to do, I will post images tomorrow as we have to rent a drive on compactor to do five driveways that we have done in the past week with grades that require a piece of equipment that I do not have. It's a 6,000 pound vibration compator, not something we would need very often so I booked jobs so we could do them all in one day as the rate is $400.00 a day for rental.

Anyhow, chip in and show your goods, could be stripes, clean up, laying locking brick, retaining wall anything, what is it that you love to do and when the job comes along, you can hardly wait to do it...???

lawncrafter56
10-20-2009, 09:23 PM
I love selling the job to a client new or regular, along with interacting throughout the contract.

swstout
10-20-2009, 09:38 PM
I really enjoy creating curb appeal. I use an edger not a trimmer for edging. I trim low branches on the clients trees. I really enjoy resurrecting a lawn.

Steve

arthur712
10-20-2009, 11:50 PM
My personality and becoming like family/friends with the buyer, It works very well for me. Being honest!!!!!

I Know, I don't count because I am not a Landscaper. LOL

Thanks!

Steve
10-21-2009, 04:00 AM
For me it is grading driveways, something I seem to have down pat and love to do, I will post images tomorrow as we have to rent a drive on compactor to do five driveways that we have done in the past week with grades that require a piece of equipment that I do not have. It's a 6,000 pound vibration compator, not something we would need very often so I booked jobs so we could do them all in one day as the rate is $400.00 a day for rental.

This is very interesting! When is it important to use such a piece of equipment? It seems from what I have read, the box blade was the piece of equipment that was used mostly.

I love selling the job to a client new or regular, along with interacting throughout the contract.

Was this something you always loved or did it develop over time? What do you think about it that you enjoy so much?

picframer
10-21-2009, 05:19 AM
This is very interesting! When is it important to use such a piece of equipment? It seems from what I have read, the box blade was the piece of equipment that was used mostly.

Was this something you always loved or did it develop over time? What do you think about it that you enjoy so much?

It's interesting two love to sell to clients and develop relationships, that is excellent and very key in our business.

A box blade is used to grade the driveway, make it level and crown it however you still have to compact it. In this case, 6 companies in four years have tried to fix this road, the grade is very, very steep, I worked yesterday making ditches and we will install 8" drains in these ditches and cover with landscape fabric & 2" rock, this will stop the wash out, then I will grade crushed granite which is being delivered, it's around $750.00 a load however if you compact it properly, it's like concrete, our roller only wheighs around 900 pounds, this is a big job and I won't take any chances so I am renting a 3 ton unit that they use to roll pavement.

Of all the driveways we have done this year I have only used crushed granite three times due to the cost. I could get away with Class A I think however the homeowners said price is not an issue, we want this fixed right at all costs, that is magic to my ears as it means I can go overkill on the process and give them results that they will tell others about because in a years time, it will look like it will when we finish today.

Steve
10-22-2009, 01:34 AM
I could get away with Class A I think however the homeowners said price is not an issue, we want this fixed right at all costs, that is magic to my ears as it means I can go overkill on the process and give them results that they will tell others about because in a years time,

How does this different rock effect the outcome of the job? Won't the Class A compact just as much or will it never be as strong as the granite?

How much more does the granite cost for such a job than the class A?

picframer
10-22-2009, 04:44 AM
How does this different rock effect the outcome of the job? Won't the Class A compact just as much or will it never be as strong as the granite?

How much more does the granite cost for such a job than the class A?

I am in this for long term results, Class A is perfect for 95% of the work we do however, and I will take pictures, this is a 30 degree grade, 2,000 feet long, it's crazy.

Crushed granite when rolled with a compactor is like concrete, it will not move, ever. Cost wise it's about $450.00 a load, being 16 yards.

Steve
10-23-2009, 01:41 AM
This is so fascinating! I am looking forwards to seeing the results.

By the way, in such situations, how does crushed granite compare in price to paving it with asphalt?

picframer
10-23-2009, 03:48 AM
This is so fascinating! I am looking forwards to seeing the results.

By the way, in such situations, how does crushed granite compare in price to paving it with asphalt?

Paving here is expensive and few do what I consider quality work, one load of Crushed Granite is around $425.00, I charge $225.00 per load to spread and $85.00 to compact, one load will generally do about 125 to 180 feet. To pave 125 feet say 18 feet wide you are looking in the range of $8,500.00 ++ here. My driveway is 950 feet, a quote last year was $32,000.

I am currently without a working camera, I have six sites we just finished that I need to post images of, two I will use as marketing as the results are really something. Anyhow all the guys are working at my place today, clearing fallen trees, bringing in firewood, chipping and helping me finish a drain so I will have some time to get some errands done and get a camera.

justin_time
10-23-2009, 09:07 AM
I am currently without a working camera, I have six sites we just finished that I need to post images of, two I will use as marketing as the results are really something. Anyhow all the guys are working at my place today, clearing fallen trees, bringing in firewood, chipping and helping me finish a drain so I will have some time to get some errands done and get a camera.

You spend too much time on this forum that's why :p

majoe7
10-23-2009, 06:12 PM
What I enjoy and look forward to doing other than the usual is Hedge Trimming and Mulch jobs. I know a lot of you say WHAT??? I take pride when I finish a hedge job and it looks great. I mean the edges are sharp and the height is matching. If they have entrance ways in the hedge I like shaping it to look like it belongs with the entrance. One job I use different heights to make it look like it has towers at the ends.
As for the mulch jobs, I go over board. I tend to use 4” of mulch so it is deep and rich looking. I build an edge along the grass that stands up and when you lay down the mulch it blends into the scenery and stands out. I try to match the color of the mulch that goes along with the color scheme of the house. I use natural, dark red and hardwood bark. Hardwood bark gives it a rich look and is easy to use.

The reward other than pride and the fact that your client loves the end product and you can make good money in doing these jobs. I charge $30 per hour in the trimming and each job takes about 5 hours. Mulch is @ $60 per hour plus materials. I buy the mulch in bulk and pick it up. That saves money. I get mulch for $20 per yard and half. My mark up is 25% on goods. I quote the client to total job price and not by the hour. My good friend owns the company and I refer other LCO’s to him for a good price. If I need more than 3 yards he will deliver it to me for $20 for any amount.

I know it labor intensive and sometimes back breaking but if you have been doing it as long as I have it comes easy.

mark123
10-23-2009, 06:23 PM
My signature would have to be the green, weed free and striped lawns. As long as the customers let me do the work that needs to be done it looks right. I appreciate them trusting me and they appreciate the look.
http://imaginekitty.com/external/pictures/churchYard.jpg

picframer
10-23-2009, 07:30 PM
You spend too much time on this forum that's why :p

Ha gotca ya!!! My $14.99 charger arrived in the mail today from ebay, I was so busy today I didn't open the camera I bought so I will return it:)

Steve
10-24-2009, 06:48 AM
My signature would have to be the green, weed free and striped lawns. As long as the customers let me do the work that needs to be done it looks right. I appreciate them trusting me and they appreciate the look.
Mark that lawn looks fantastic! The members of the church must talk about you and your services a lot! How has that high level work effected your referrals?

What I enjoy and look forward to doing other than the usual is Hedge Trimming and Mulch jobs. I know a lot of you say WHAT??? I take pride when I finish a hedge job and it looks great. I mean the edges are sharp and the height is matching. If they have entrance ways in the hedge I like shaping it to look like it belongs with the entrance. One job I use different heights to make it look like it has towers at the ends.
As for the mulch jobs, I go over board. I tend to use 4” of mulch so it is deep and rich looking. I build an edge along the grass that stands up and when you lay down the mulch it blends into the scenery and stands out. I try to match the color of the mulch that goes along with the color scheme of the house. I use natural, dark red and hardwood bark. Hardwood bark gives it a rich look and is easy to use.

It looks like you picked the right business for you to be in. You describe this as an artisan! It's fantastic to hear! Do you have any pictures of the jobs you thought of as you wrote this?

mark123
10-24-2009, 08:44 AM
Mark that lawn looks fantastic! The members of the church must talk about you and your services a lot! How has that high level work effected your referrals? Thanks. :) I give the same level of service to them even if they don't pay full rate (I give them a huge break on the cost and return the tithe to them, kind of like a double discount, I suppose). They let me have full reign over the lawn care so I give them the full deal, fertilizing, weed control, soil test and mowing.

They actually asked me to post a lawn sign, inviting me to advertise there. I've just got to come up with something.

Steve
10-25-2009, 05:41 AM
They actually asked me to post a lawn sign, inviting me to advertise there. I've just got to come up with something.

Maybe you could come up with a driveway entrance landscape display that had a sign in there?

Or maybe you could install a custom cross bush. This was talked about in another post here (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=10014).

mark123
10-25-2009, 08:40 AM
Maybe you could come up with a driveway entrance landscape display that had a sign in there? Great idea. I'm going to have to clean up the current landscape first. The shrubs are all overgrown and need to go. Hmm. That's probably a project for early next year. I'll start planning now. :)

Or maybe you could install a custom cross bush. This was talked about in another post here (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=10014). Another great idea. Maybe a Christian fish symbol, too. I can prepare these over the winter and have them ready to install in spring.

You're giving me some excellent ideas.

Steve
10-26-2009, 03:20 AM
Another great idea. Maybe a Christian fish symbol, too. I can prepare these over the winter and have them ready to install in spring.

You're giving me some excellent ideas.

Oh yea! That would be fantastic! If you do this, take pictures of the process. I bet other churches in the area would want you to do this for them as well!

What about outdoor Christmas lighting? Could you decorate the church ground with outdoor decorations for the holidays too and make it a real show place?

CHEESE2009
11-06-2009, 10:00 PM
I always seem to get minor & major problems, yet I am one lucky SOB! LOL

If I'm limited & solo at the worst times, I kick butt non stop!

When your one man, doing such crazy labor, you feel like a hero!

All in all, being a one man army & kicking arse at what I do is my signature.

LOL, BOOYA!

I'm the guy who's mower runs out of gas, ONLY AFTER I get over a hill, then I roll it down & back to the truck :)! Ya baby!