PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

Anthonykiser1977
10-19-2009, 12:27 AM
Hello,

Was looking around on the internet about lawn care businesses and saw the gopher website. Starting a legitimate (taxes, insurance, etc.) lawn care business has interested me for a while now. With this website I will hopefully gain some valuable insight.

Anthony

Steve
10-19-2009, 05:15 AM
Hi Anthony,

Welcome to our forum!

What got you interested in starting your own lawn care business?

arthur712
10-19-2009, 08:38 AM
Welcome to the G Forum Anthony!

We are happy to have you here with us.

Thanks!

Anthonykiser1977
10-20-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm interested in starting a lawn care business so that I can make my own way in this world. I've always had a hard time finding a job, and I enjoy mowing my grandparents lawn. Earlier today I went to the local SCORE office to talk to someone about what is involved with running a legitimate business. The only person in the office was a secretary, after a brief discussion with her she had me call a different gentleman. He informed me that I should work with a local lawn company first so that I can learn more about running a legitimate lawn business. I've tried applying to local lawn companies in the past with no success. He also informed me that the competition in the lawn business is fierce.

Steve
10-21-2009, 02:42 AM
He informed me that I should work with a local lawn company first so that I can learn more about running a legitimate lawn business.

I think that is good advice but sometimes you just want to go out and do it on your own :)

Sometimes you want to learn yourself and you don't want others ruining your fun of learning by having them tell you what to do all the time :)

Sure you can find success a lot sooner if you would simply listen to someone who's been there before you, but not everyone wants to do that. There are some of us that just like to explore for the sake of exploring and see what we come up with.

I've tried applying to local lawn companies in the past with no success. He also informed me that the competition in the lawn business is fierce.

Sure it's fierce but what isn't? What out there can you get started doing with little money down and it not be fierce? Ideally you get started that way and then as you grow you find a better niche for yourself that has a higher barrier of entry.

What I mean by that is, there are businesses out there that you can get into that take a lot more money to get started and they keep some of the competition at bay because it's tougher to start.

But ultimately so what? The best thing in the world any of us can do is to get something started and get it started today.

Earlier today I went to the local SCORE office to talk to someone about what is involved with running a legitimate business. The only person in the office was a secretary, after a brief discussion with her she had me call a different gentleman.
I never had the chance to talk with anyone in this group. I really like the concept of it and it's amazing it exists. But what I'd like to see come from such interactions is some inspiration. Where you can go in there and ask, do you think I got what it takes to do this? And the score member looks back at you and says hell ya! Now go out there and get it done!

Then you leave the office feeling pumped and ready to get started!

What's your take on all that?