PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Chicago Hts IL

HiTEQ
10-16-2009, 10:01 PM
Hello to all. Name is Vince owner/operator of Rodriguez Lawn Care. It was my fathers company for the longest but he grew tired of it and passed it on to me. I currently service 25 clients and plan to service more in the future. I love the drums when I'm not tired from a long day's work and love spending time with the kids. Thats about it.

I do have a question I don't know if i should post here though.

I currently have a Hustler 44" Fast Trak Z and want to buy Wright Stander (so envious of the other people i see with these). Which is better or is it worth it, the 36 Stander RH or the 36 Sentar Sport. I checked them out at the dealer but I couldnt ride because the batteries were dead. Please let me know of any info you may have on this.

Steve
10-17-2009, 10:49 PM
Hi Vince,

Welcome to our forum!

There have been a bunch of posts on here about the Wright Stander (http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=9604&highlight=Wright+Stander). Check out that link and do a search on it here too. There are other posts. Maybe this one will help.

checked them out at the dealer but I couldnt ride because the batteries were dead.

I would tell them to fix the batteries so you could try it or you're not gonna buy it :)

I bet you are in a very good spot with your father handing the business off to you. Had he done much marketing over the years or was it all word of mouth? Do you have any marketing plans now to push it forwards?

What type of growth would you like to see come from it?

HiTEQ
10-17-2009, 11:56 PM
No he hadn't done much marketing, he's a little old school. I plan to take it as far as I can, Sky's the limit. I promoting all Fall Cleanups, Aeration, and Dethatching. Door to Door is my marketing strategy for now until I can get a website up.

Thanks for the Link on the Stander.

Steve
10-18-2009, 02:05 AM
Do you hand out door hangers or flyers? What do you think a new start up should be focusing on when they are trying to market their services in the fall?

HiTEQ
10-19-2009, 12:09 AM
I do both Door Hangers (Aeration) and Flyers (Fall Cleanups). Both have all the other services I provide. I believe Aeration and Fertilizing is the way to go in early fall. Once the leaves fall then the cleanups will come. Knock on the doors and just get the word out. Thats the best advice I have. Word of Mouth is the best advertising. FREE

Steve
10-19-2009, 04:17 AM
Do you find that those customers who go with fall cleanups also sign up for aeration or are they two different groups?

HiTEQ
10-19-2009, 07:42 PM
I would have to say 80% just do the cleanup. The 20% that do the Aeration always go with fertilizer as well, so that a plus. People are skeptical around here, they dont believe that holes in the ground can make your lawn healthier & greener.

Aeration is probably the best thing to do for your Lawn. Its cheap to do (contractors side if you own an aerator) but very labor intensive.

Steve
10-20-2009, 12:24 AM
People are skeptical around here, they dont believe that holes in the ground can make your lawn healthier & greener.

I would venture to say this could apply to many home owners in many areas.

How do you deal with customers who are skeptical? How do you convince them that this service really works? Do you use any before and after pictures or what's the best way to go about it?

HiTEQ
10-20-2009, 01:38 AM
I have some picture diagrams of the process and explain that its a proven process. I talk to them about golf courses and how they keep their grass nice and healthy (Tee boxes and Greens) and how they aerate on a yearly basis.

I haven't tried the before & after pics but I really need to do it.

Do you have any rebuttals for customers Steve? Any info is much appreciated.

Steve
10-20-2009, 02:56 AM
Do you have any rebuttals for customers Steve? Any info is much appreciated.

As far as rebuttals for the sale process? Well, I was thinking about the aeration and fertilization service. If you could combine the two together and maybe a third service like the fall cleanup, you could potentially make an offer like this to the customer that is skeptical.

'I will take a picture of your lawn before and after the service and if it does not show improvement, I will refund 100% of your money for the fertilization and aeration service. That's how confident I am that the service works.'

Maybe you only offer it where there is an additional service that wouldn't have to be refunded, just in case. Like yard cleanups and gutter cleanouts.

You make them this offer and then upsell them on the additional services and the customer gets this guarantee their lawn will look healthier. You both potentially win.

I hadn't seen this applied yet, but it could be a great way to really get more upsells. The customer would have to sign on for all the services in order to get that guarantee. It's the kind of thing that would make the average person potentially want to jump on it.

What's your thoughts on that?