PDA

View Full Version : How do you estimate hedge trimming?

TouchtonsCLC
10-16-2009, 09:56 PM
I've been using the standard by-the-minute estimates. Is there something I don't know about? Some people look at me like I'm crazy when I give them their estimates.

Steve
10-16-2009, 10:47 PM
I've been using the standard by-the-minute estimates. Is there something I don't know about? Some people look at me like I'm crazy when I give them their estimates.

How do you present this to the customer when they ask?

mark123
10-16-2009, 10:57 PM
I don't estimate for hedge trimming. I charge by the hour.

Steve
10-16-2009, 11:18 PM
I don't estimate for hedge trimming. I charge by the hour.

Do you simply tell the customer it will be $x amount of dollars per hour and then give them a range how long you think it will take or what is your suggestion on going about that?

TouchtonsCLC
10-16-2009, 11:23 PM
I just look at the proposed work and if I think its an extra 20 minutes to I tell them it's $20.

fldodger
10-16-2009, 11:53 PM
Same here. $50.00 a hour. I give the quote as total. If it takes me a little longer, I lose. But I figure in extra time.

mark123
10-17-2009, 12:22 AM
Do you simply tell the customer it will be $x amount of dollars per hour and then give them a range how long you think it will take or what is your suggestion on going about that?

I just give them the hourly rate and tell them "it'll take as long as it takes". Let's just say it's not my favorite job in the world and I don't mind if I don't get one here or there. lol

fieroboi
10-17-2009, 11:03 AM
I charge $1.50 per linear foot with a minimum charge of $20.00. I will cut the price back some if there is 100 ft of hedge to do, depends on how intensive the trimming is. The first time I quoted a hedge the lady looked at me like I was crazy, but then she told me that my quote was very fair and she preferred that way rather than by the hour. Course, every area is different.

wdcutter
10-17-2009, 06:20 PM
I also charge by the hour, I just figure how long I think it will take x hourly amount I charge and put it in my estimate, just remember to figure in the raking, shaking and cleanup of the clippings.

I also have done it by the hedge when bidding on commercial lots as they are small or individual, like at the box stores and fast food places.

Edward36
10-18-2009, 01:12 AM
I charge $1.00 Foot for up to 48'' tall and $1.50-2.00 taller than 48'' or $5-10 per plant

Steve
10-18-2009, 02:51 AM
How do you deal with the cleanup? Do you lay down tarps to catch the clippings or just raked them up or what?

fieroboi
10-18-2009, 09:58 PM
How do you deal with the cleanup? Do you lay down tarps to catch the clippings or just raked them up or what?

I lay a tarp down and take the clippings away. However if the hedge is short (under 20 ft) I have found it much faster to just rake them up. The nice thing about the tarp is how easy it is to move around the yard from hedge to hedge and the cleanup from it is very easy. Not to mention that one looks very professional, neat and tidy ... it can really impress the customer, not to mention anyone watching as well.

donslawns
11-19-2010, 05:00 PM
I have done many many hedges over the years since 1990 and have always priced by the job, for me its alot easier this way, I have an eye for it from start to finish

Steve
11-20-2010, 05:45 AM
Don,

Where do you think most new lawn care business owners go wrong early in their career when it comes to pricing hedge work?

Looking back, did you have any learning lessons that stood out that you could share?

MAKLawnCutter
12-02-2010, 08:55 AM
I charge $1.50 per linear foot with a minimum charge of $20.00. I will cut the price back some if there is 100 ft of hedge to do, depends on how intensive the trimming is. The first time I quoted a hedge the lady looked at me like I was crazy, but then she told me that my quote was very fair and she preferred that way rather than by the hour. Course, every area is different.

I charge 1.80$ per foot, thought i would of been the only person on hedges that charges by the foot... GUESS NOT!

Matt