PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familure with steel buildings?

jasonw
10-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Mine leaked like a siv in the storms yesterday going through N. California. Last year when I had it put up it had a few leaks which I patched using that blackjack roof sealant in a caulking tube. This year though is crazy, The lawn tractor got soaked, I ran out of buckets trying to collect the water. I don't think the blackjack works good on steel. Any pointers? I made sure all the nuts, bolts and screws got there nylon washers as when my father had one put up they didn't use washers and it made for a worthless building.

Steve
10-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Depending on the size of the holes, if they are small around the screws, can you run some latex paint over the top of them? That would most likely seal the screw holes.

turfmaster
10-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Silicone caulk may do the trick too.

GophersLimited
10-14-2009, 08:28 PM
I had a problem with a steel building I put up last year. It leaked through the seams big time. After a lot of silicone and frustration I finally realized that if the roof is not exactly level water will follow the seams back into the building and leak inside. I just caulked the ends where the seams meet and made a bead along the bottom edge. We had 10 inches of rain in the last 24 hours - no leaks.
Good luck,
Thomas

jasonw
10-15-2009, 08:25 AM
I have heard the horror stories about unlevel buildings leaking. This is why I had my contractor do it rather than me. He also happens to be my father so I know he would no do me wrong. 2-3 of the seams on the roof leaks but it seems the biggest problem is right at the cap on the peak of the roof. Where the sheet mettle bends to make the peak the directions called for duck tape to go over the bend. I questioned this and was told that #1 that's what the directions call for and include and #2 the roof cap that goes over the peak should be sufficient. Well guess what? the tape has eroded away and the peak leaks. Its a 12X14 building and climbing on the roof is a big no no unless I want even bigger problems. There is no way to get to the leaks from the inside as there is a beam running right under them. I can not remove the beam as if I do the roof cap and panels will have to come off first which is not an option at this point. I have to run to lowes for a few things today so I am going to see if I can find a small enough putty knife to get between the beam and panels. Hopefully this will solve the problem. I was absolutely furious the other day when I went out there and found after 2 grand for a place to park my lawn tractor is was soaking wet anyway. I also have a bunch of pictures to post some time. I snapped them to show other LCO's exactly what they can do when forced to work with a small space and budget. Maybe lots of good ideas maybe not.

Steve
10-15-2009, 08:55 PM
I also have a bunch of pictures to post some time. I snapped them to show other LCO's exactly what they can do when forced to work with a small space and budget. Maybe lots of good ideas maybe not.

I look forwards to seeing them.

I had another idea. Could you use some boat shrink wrap plastic over the top of the roof and seal it up like that some how?

http://media.merchantcircle.com/29966517/shrinkwrap-245_full.jpeg

jasonw
10-16-2009, 10:09 AM
I'm not sure how that would work. I would worry that unless I can get it in 12' wide rolls then it to would have seams. I would also worry about it pulling up on the eves and causing other problems. One other thing would be that this sheet mettle is sharp. I would have to do my best to file everything down first. When it was being built I picked up a peace of it and sliced my hand pretty good.