PDA

View Full Version : Landscaping all in the family

Steve
05-22-2006, 05:23 PM
Kurt if you get a chance, read this article. I think it will inspire you. Many successful businesses are the result of a family pulling their resources together.

Landscaping all in the family (http://www.edmontonsun.com/Entertainment/OutThere/2006/05/20/1589730-sun.html) - Seven M signifies the numerous members of the Mitchell family involved in the business. Twenty years ago, the family patriarch was working in road construction and proposed to his kids that they all pitch in $500 and buy a gravel truck. The business evolved into a landscaping and installation service and then, a few years ago, incorporated the supply centre for the do-it-yourselfers. Today it's owned by all the brothers and sister, with a few taking direct care of the day-to-day business. Kevin Mitchell is the company's general manager, while his sister, Mae Kapler, runs the office. Brother Roger Mitchell acts as the landscaping superintendent. But, as Kapler says, "Most people you meet around here are related somehow." Colourful Bloomers Greenhouse is not a part of the Mitchell family but is owned by personal acquaintances of the family, Mike and Carol Courseaux. They have a greenhouse of their own, but the retail greenhouse sharing the same lot as the supply centre is the perfect complement for both businesses.

kc2006
05-22-2006, 08:58 PM
It's great to hear success stories where people start with very little and work up to great things.

I said it before and I'll say it again, I think the green industry is the first stepping stone for me, and with the help of my family I think we can make something big out of it. And who knows what we all might branch off into down the road.

Steve
05-22-2006, 09:19 PM
I agree with you.

I think the key to success as this article pointed out too is to not jump in the deep end first. Take small gradual steps. Build and grow as the customer base calls for it. That way you will be rewarded each step of the way.

Otherwise you are making a bet with the odds stacked against you.