PDA

View Full Version : Lawn care truck

Steve
10-10-2009, 03:40 AM
I saw this lawn care truck and snapped a quick shot through the window. What a neat design! I don't think I have seen anything like this one on the forum yet. With such a design, you wouldn't need a trailer and it seems it would be perfect for a mow,blow, and go crew of 2.

What's your view on this?

picframer
10-10-2009, 04:51 AM
I saw this lawn care truck and snapped a quick shot through the window. What a neat design! I don't think I have seen anything like this one on the forum yet. With such a design, you wouldn't need a trailer and it seems it would be perfect for a mow,blow, and go crew of 2.

What's your view on this?

Truck with a trailer would give the owner more options to use this truck to haul product, the design it's self is interesting but I wonder how hard it is to get on and off as it must be very heavy.

mark123
10-10-2009, 10:27 AM
That is exactly what I'm planning for my truck. In lieu of a trailer I think it's much more convenient and efficient to run a flatbed with a built in ramp.

Mine will be a much lighter version though as I will be using it for a one-man crew on a 1/2 ton truck.

turfmaster
10-10-2009, 12:30 PM
Those types of trucks are becoming more popular in my area.

Steve
10-10-2009, 09:07 PM
What kind of advantages do you feel you would gain from them versus having a trailer? Or a box truck?

turfmaster
10-10-2009, 09:36 PM
What kind of advantages do you feel you would gain from them versus having a trailer? Or a box truck?

The only advantage I see is not having to hook up a trailer.
Personally I would rather have a trailer. More flexibility that way for clean ups etc.

mark123
10-10-2009, 10:40 PM
What kind of advantages do you feel you would gain from them versus having a trailer? Or a box truck? You don't have to have the extra insurance, registration and inspection if you don't have the trailer. A shorter platform is safer and easier to control. Besides, if needed you can still attach a trailer if for some reason it did become necessary. For me it all comes down to one major point; I just don't have room for a trailer.

Steve
10-11-2009, 07:14 PM
With such a truck, How can you attach a hitch? It seems the rear would be very weak hanging the way it does off the end of the frame like that.

mark123
10-11-2009, 07:22 PM
With such a truck, How can you attach a hitch? It seems the rear would be very weak hanging the way it does off the end of the frame like that.If Most of them don't have such a radical overhang. I can get mine done, I'll show you. :)

Steve
10-11-2009, 07:50 PM
I'd love to see it! Keep me posted!

bulldogg
10-25-2009, 08:18 PM
I would love to have one of those type trucks. I do a lot of houses that are on main roads and they usually have very small driveways where it is had to park or get off the side of the road. With this type truck you can just pull into the drive and not have to worry about backing a trailer up into a busy street.

Steve
10-26-2009, 04:46 AM
Have you considered fabricating one yourself?

akessinger84
10-29-2009, 07:46 PM
I've seen a truck similar to this only it was a newer (2000 or so) chevy crew cab here in Indianapolis. It is unique but I have to say I'd rather have a truck and trailer any day of the week.

TurfFX
12-21-2009, 03:26 AM
We have them around here in NC. Except they are small Isuzu or GMC cab-overs

Steve
12-21-2009, 05:57 AM
What is your view on them? How do they compare to what you are currently using?

TurfFX
12-21-2009, 12:52 PM
They look great, more professional than what I have because they are specifically made for what we do. They have more room on the back than the bed of my truck AND my trailer combined. Its less stuff to maintain because you dont have to use a trailer.

Now it would be more expensive to run one of those because of gas/diesel mileage. The tires are expensive...and they have 6 of them. Maintenance on a diesel is more expensive (they are hard to find in a gas version).

But once I get to a certain level in my biz I will look into one of these just for the appearance factor because it says "I'm a Lawn Care Operator and I'm serious about it." I think it would ultimately be more efficient for me in the end because my truck isnt built to haul heavy loads everyday and I'm sure that no matter how good of shape I keep it in...its gonna lay down on me one day.

CHEESE2009
12-21-2009, 06:00 PM
Hmmm.

That looks exhausting.

It looks amazing, but to haul equipment out/in would drive me crazy. I'd be nervous about using that set up.

Enclosed Trailer: Security, massive ad space. Can be detached.

Typical Trailer: No security, most efficient, can be detached.

The beast we all just saw: Better manovurability, more expensive in many ways, I guess it's also pretty limited, no reason to detach though you wont have any other purpose to drive it for anything other than lawn service... -$$$$$$

SuperiorPower
12-21-2009, 11:38 PM
I like the idea except for one reason.... Stability. Especially if you were to hook a trailer up to it. It looks like it could have similar instability issues to the 15 passenger vans with all that weight hanging past the rear axle. That would worry me a bit. If the axle were closer to the rear, I would like it a lot better.

Mr. Mow
02-18-2010, 06:50 PM
Here is my current truck setup, works real nice for me!

Everything stays locked up & dry at all times.

Has a 5.0 V8 so plenty of power for pulling the trailer & mower.

I park my other vehicle in front of it so it would be harder to steal it if someone had the balls!

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-12/1118506/KZSJQ-065.JPG

psparaco
02-18-2010, 09:46 PM
ok i expect everyone to laugh at this one but.... Here are typical pictures of my car i use for my lawn care. I put the mower, 3 gas cans, blower, misc. parts like trimmer string, socket set and spare blade all in my trunk. I put my trimmer on the floor in the rear seating area. This is all i can deal with for the time being.

I intend to purchase a 5X8 open landscape trailer. Its 350 lbs empty. My car can tow up to a max of 1,000 lbs. So that leaves me with 650 lbs to play with. all my equipment weighs at most 100lbs total. So i have plenty of room for additional future equipment weight before i need to consider buying a used truck. also the trailer can take a payload up to 2,000 lbs.

musician/lawnman
02-18-2010, 10:33 PM
I have seen a few similar trucks in my area & I am considering building one for crew #2

picframer
02-19-2010, 06:20 AM
What is very good in this case is the look of the truck grabs attention, there are a few of them in our city but very few for whatever reason and I personally always take a quick look.

Steve
02-19-2010, 10:08 AM
ok i expect everyone to laugh at this one but.... Here are typical pictures of my car i use for my lawn care. I put the mower, 3 gas cans, blower, misc. parts like trimmer string, socket set and spare blade all in my trunk. I put my trimmer on the floor in the rear seating area. This is all i can deal with for the time being.

I'd love to see pics of it fully loaded with your equipment.

Here is my current truck setup, works real nice for me!

Everything stays locked up & dry at all times.

Has a 5.0 V8 so plenty of power for pulling the trailer & mower.

For those considering using a van, what's the pros and cons to using one? Have you found some things are great and some things are a pain?

CHEESE2009
02-19-2010, 10:33 AM
For those considering using a van, what's the pros and cons to using one? Have you found some things are great and some things are a pain?

I was thinking about getting a van, but I thought over some cons.

1. It would stink

2. Hard to find any with 4 wheel drive, useless for winter work. Once your stuck in snow, you are really stuck

3. It would be a hazard to have equipment in the back, one wrong move & you got a trimmer in your skull. Just imagine having a couple of gas cans in the back as you light a cigarette. I saw something like this on the news last year. BOOM.

Even if you don't smoke, just spilling the gas alone can cause you a lot of grief.

I still believe a van would be awesome in some way.

the Pros:

It's not so high up to lift walk behind mowers in & out of, very spacious.

You don't really need a trailer, unless you have riders.

A lot of ad space

You're equipment can be locked inside of the van overnight, no theft

That's about it, for some reason I still want a van, with a trailer attached. Something about it just looks right. I always try to keep the inside of the truck pristine, so it would be a big change.

Andrew7dg
02-19-2010, 12:32 PM
I saw this and I always thought with the right bed, you could easily turn that into a lawn mowing truck. It would grab peoples eye!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v430/harmful_if_swollowed/Kustom%20Kulture/bftd_Bug_1star.jpg

BTW, it is all air bag and lifts up and down, thats why the truck sits so low.

However you would have to fab one up.

You couldn't use it for snow plowing.

Unrealistic but just a thought.

Mr. Mow
02-19-2010, 11:51 PM

You can just imagine all the pros & cons of owning a van for our type of business. The only real big con is buying things in bulk, like mulch, sod and such but I usually just have those delivered anyway.

I don't keep any flammables or gas in the van, only in the enclosed trailer so it never stinks!

I also use it for camping from time to time. I just unload all the lawn business tools add a couple of cots & nessesary items and I'm ready to go, it's great!

The air conditioning is pretty much useless in the summer because of all the mass area to cool down, so I added the opening windows in the rear doors & the air flow when moving is just incredible now!

Barry

XtreemGreen
02-20-2010, 10:27 AM
Those types of trucks are everywhere down here..Mostly used by the big companies..Not soo much the standard truck type, but the Isuzu NPR's..
I wouldnt use one because if your with a crew and have to go somewhere.. You cant just drop the trailer and go...There would be alot of equipment youd have to take off the truck in case they need them while your gone..

Yard Elements
02-20-2010, 11:21 PM

I intend to purchase a 5X8 open landscape trailer. Its 350 lbs empty. My car can tow up to a max of 1,000 lbs. So that leaves me with 650 lbs to play with. all my equipment weighs at most 100lbs total. So i have plenty of room for additional future equipment weight before i need to consider buying a used truck. also the trailer can take a payload up to 2,000 lbs.
I would just get a truck!

Fresh Cut
03-01-2010, 05:49 PM

I would just get a truck!

Word! (I concur)

You need to take yourself and what you're doing serious.

Fresh Cut
03-01-2010, 06:01 PM
Here is my box truck setup. I don't have pics of it fully loaded with equipment and when I took these pics I had it empty because I have been moving people and doing furniture deliveries.

The truck is a 1998 Ford E-350 5.4L Triton V8. Weighs 8000 (4 tons!) with just me in it. I know this because I hauled some scrap metal to the recycling place and that was my weight on the scale when I rolled out. It's equipped with a Waltco hydraulic lift that I use to lift my 36" Exmark with, among other things.

I'm gonna get y'all some pics of the truck when its fully loaded with everything in its place. I even have trimmer traps mounted on the wall to hold my hedge clippers, string trimmer, and stick edger.

Steve
03-02-2010, 11:32 AM
It's equipped with a Waltco hydraulic lift that I use to lift my 36" Exmark with, among other things.

That is very interesting! How long does it take to get your mower in the truck with that versus using a trailer?

Also how do you anchor it in the truck or do you have to do anything?