PDA

View Full Version : Hello - newbie at snow plowing in Iowa

exchicagoan
10-08-2009, 01:40 PM
Hi All,

Well I am new to the snow plowing business. I live in Central Iowa, but as my name implies, I am a 28 year native Chicagoan. I moved to Iowa 14 years ago and I just ended up staying; school, family, job..ya know. But here I am with a a full time job- I work from home all day on the computer. It is demanding but I can have some flexibility in hours. I work for a large company and am a remote home worker in the Informaton Technology industry. It isn't all that great and I'd like to get out of it someday. Before I got into this computer stuff, back in chicago I was a high-rise construction worker for a number of years, and before that I worked in several factories. The an abrupt change and I decided to go to school here in Iowa. That was when I was 28, now I am 45.

So why I am going into snow plowing? Well, I got divorced a couple of years back. I have this large F250 Super Duty, 2003, I used to pull my daughter's horses with, but she is grown and not horses are no longer in the picture. So I got to looking at my paycheck some time back and realized that my taxes for filing as a single guy were insane! I figured I would start a side business and crate a little tax deduction as well as provide a local servie and feel good about getting out and doing something that I could see immediate results from and interact with more people.

I created an LLC a couple of weeks back. Last week I picked up a really sweet Western 8.5 foot v-plow, just two years old. I can't tell you how strangley excited I was when I picked it up.

I don't think I'll have trouble picking up business here in Iowa, but I have a lot to learn. I am so thankful for this forum and the resources and all of you with such vast experience. I am researching like crazy so that I can learn how to estimate and bid, as well as reasonably be able to guess how much time I will really have as a single person operator of a business. Last thing I want to do is over-commit myself and not be able to deliver.

So I have a little bit of time before the snow flies here in Iowa. I am doing as much as I can to get the business details down and learn as much about the operations of the business.

Thanks you all for reading. I am sure to be posting in the future and look forward to learning more here. I will update on my progress in this new venture as well.

Thanks!
Ex

Steve
10-08-2009, 04:46 PM
Welcome to our forum!

You have a lot going on.

When you reflect on all that you have been through, did you ever want to start your own business in the past? Or is this something that came up recently?

What is your view of being a business owner now?

How are you promoting yourself and how do you feel about being a self promoter?

arthur712
10-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

Great to have you here!

Check out our Drawing for Free Vehicle Business Card Holders

There will be 3 winners picked for each Forum.

Winners will receive (1) One Adbox Outdoor Business Card Holder.

Free Shipping to the USA and Canada No Cost at all.

Click here to check it out!!!

http://www.gopherforum.com/showthread.php?t=10007

I will do drawing Oct 25th 2009

Thanks!