PDA

View Full Version : Any hunters out there???

SuperiorPower
10-03-2009, 06:52 PM
I love to hunt. I don't know about the rest of you guys but to me it is my fall passion! To keep up with it I joined a hunting forum (http://forums.huntinghole.com/). Check it out if you enjoy hunting. Even if you just enjoy shooting sports or are just concerned about 2nd amendment issues, join up. There is plenty of shooting sports and 2nd amendment info there. I am "270win" on that forum. If you join, look me up.

Eli

Steve
10-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Nice site! What do you hunt?

SuperiorPower
10-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Nice site! What do you hunt?

Recently I have mostly been hunting whitetail deer. I hope to elk hunt in the near future. I would like to get back to turkey hunting and possibly start bow hunting whitetail deer as well.

Oh, and fyi guys, they also have a fishing section on there. :)

Steve
10-09-2009, 08:10 AM
I hope to elk hunt in the near future.

Where would you have to go to hunt elk? I am guessing up north a bit?

Green2Green
10-09-2009, 08:36 AM
I've hunted nearly all my life. Mostly whitetailed and sika deer. Would love to do a moose or elk hunt and my dream hunt is the Alaskan Brown Bear hunt, but your talking some serious cash there.

I do it all, Bow, Muzzle loader, and gun hunt.

I love turkey hunting but don't get to go as often as I would like.

There's just something about being out in nature.

When that fall smell hits the air, hunting becomes a pre-occupation that is always on my mind.

Steve
10-09-2009, 06:50 PM

Is there one style you like over another? How do these compare?

TwinDooly
10-09-2009, 11:13 PM
I started Bow hunting few years ago and love it. What a challenge over gun hunting.started hunting as a kid and after service just stopped until couple years back.:)

swstout
10-09-2009, 11:56 PM
Recently I have mostly been hunting whitetail deer. I hope to elk hunt in the near future. I would like to get back to turkey hunting and possibly start bow hunting whitetail deer as well.

Oh, and fyi guys, they also have a fishing section on there. :)

I have hunted and fished most of my life. My father started me out with a single shot shotgun (my family had double barrel's, pumps, and auto's). I started both my son's the same way.

As a teenager, I hunted rabbit, squirrel, woodchuck, pheasant, partridge (ruffled grouse), and whitetail deer. As time marched on, I also bow hunted. Have never tried muzzle loaders though. To date, I have 3 whitetail's and one black bear (big game). My favorite though is partridge. I think it is the best tasting of all game.

My family has a hunting cabin at Deer River Flow. It is about 30 miles from Lake Placid. You have to get to it by boat. A one room cabin with a outhouse. It has a Ben Franklin stove and a hand pump for water. No phone, no electricity, and no neighbors. My brother's and I got the black bear there when we were bow hunting deer. Will never try that again.

Haven't been hunting since I moved here to South Carolina but I miss it. I have a new neighbor who moved here from Pensilvania who wants to start up again. Maybe this fall.

Steve

TeamDynamic
10-10-2009, 12:50 AM
Is there one style you like over another? How do these compare?

In Mighigan we have to do them all so we can get some real hunting time done. The whitetail deer have three hunting seasons: Bow Starts Oct 1st, Firearm starts Nov 15, and Muzzelloading is for the guys that love to freeze in the snow. It's all fun

SuperiorPower
10-10-2009, 09:15 AM
I've hunted nearly all my life. Mostly whitetailed and sika deer. Would love to do a moose or elk hunt and my dream hunt is the Alaskan Brown Bear hunt, but your talking some serious cash there.

I love turkey hunting but don't get to go as often as I would like.

There's just something about being out in nature.

When that fall smell hits the air, hunting becomes a pre-occupation that is always on my mind.

Ditto!

And Steve, I plan to go to the State of Washington where my brother lives. He knows some good public land there where elk are plentiful.

Green2Green, I have never hunted Sika deer. Where do you find them and how are they compared to whitetail to hunt? I would love to hunt mule deer and blacktail too. Blacktail are supposedly some extremely elusive animals. But they have not yet met me! :D

Anyway guys, check out the forum and see what you think! There are lots of pics over there. They have several contests going throughout out the hunting seasons. They have info about all different kinds of hunting and are looking for stories about hunting. So join in!

SuperiorPower
10-10-2009, 10:04 AM
I have hunted and fished most of my life. My father started me out with a single shot shotgun (my family had double barrel's, pumps, and auto's). I started both my son's the same way.

As a teenager, I hunted rabbit, squirrel, woodchuck, pheasant, partridge (ruffled grouse), and whitetail deer. As time marched on, I also bow hunted. Have never tried muzzle loaders though. To date, I have 3 whitetail's and one black bear (big game). My favorite though is partridge. I think it is the best tasting of all game.

My family has a hunting cabin at Deer River Flow. It is about 30 miles from Lake Placid. You have to get to it by boat. A one room cabin with a outhouse. It has a Ben Franklin stove and a hand pump for water. No phone, no electricity, and no neighbors. My brother's and I got the black bear there when we were bow hunting deer. Will never try that again.

Haven't been hunting since I moved here to South Carolina but I miss it. I have a new neighbor who moved here from Pensilvania who wants to start up again. Maybe this fall.

Steve

hahaha! Wonder why? I think I would like to bear hunt, just not too sure what I would do with it once I shot it!

I don't know how many deer I have shot. I know that one year I shot 2 deer in 3 minutes time from the same stand. A few years later I shot 2 deer in 2 minutes, the next year I shot 3 deer in 2 minutes. The 5 were from the same stand. :)

Steve
10-10-2009, 09:10 PM
I have seen some really crazy bear hunt videos that go awry and it always made me wonder, can you carry a sidearm with you in the woods in case things really go bad and you find yourself in very close proximity to a bear?

swstout
10-10-2009, 11:26 PM
I have seen some really crazy bear hunt videos that go awry and it always made me wonder, can you carry a sidearm with you in the woods in case things really go bad and you find yourself in very close proximity to a bear?

Carrying a side arm depends on the State I guess. In NY you have to have a permit. I had a Browning 38 Super and my brother had a Colt Detective Special 38. They weren't big enough.

I don't think I will ever hunt bear again. If I come across another while hunting anything else, I'll pass. As to what to do with it? Don't plan on eating it. It is sort of like eating worn out chewing gum dipped in Crisco. We dragged it out, had it dressed and packaged and then had one meal. Threw the rest out or gave it away. Maybe there is a way to cook it so it is better but I have no interest in trying it again!

Steve

Steve
10-10-2009, 11:37 PM
Out of all the hunting you have done, what meat did you like the most to least?

swstout
10-11-2009, 05:15 AM
Out of all the hunting you have done, what meat did you like the most to least?

In descending order:
<DIR>Partridge
Pheasant
Quail
Deer
Duck
Turkey
Rabbit
Bear
</DIR>Steve

Green2Green
10-11-2009, 10:51 AM
I don't necessarily prefer one type of hunting over another. They each pose their own challenges and have their own benefits.

Sika deer are actually a species of Asian Elk. They are smaller than Whitetails and like the nasitest areas around. The prefer and thrive in marshy / swampy areas. The Stags (Males) can be very elusive, especially once they've been around for a while. A serious trophy Sika Stag would be a 6 pointer and on EXTREMELY rare occasions a 7 or 8 pointer. I took a really nice 6 pointer last year during muzzleloader. Body size, a large Stag dresses out at around 80 to 90 pounds. Their rack grows up, instead of out like a whitetails. The meat is excellent and many prefer it over the whitetail. The Stags bugle just like an elk. God I love hearing that sound when I out and about. Overall they are very vocal deer. Even the Hinds (Females) make several different vocalizations and do so quite often. Both predominantly vocalize more so in the early mornings and evenings thru the night.

When the RUT is on, the vocalizations are even more frequent and dramamtic.

They were not indigineous to our country but were release in Maryland many moons ago. Since then they have thrived with an ever growing wild population on Maryland Eastern Shore.

I could go on and on, but I gotta go.

Talk to ya'll soon.

Steve
10-11-2009, 07:26 PM
I'd love to see some pictures of some of the hunts!